• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Mentally and Physically Exhausted Applicant

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2022
Does anyone know what Ashurst's values are? They're very vague on their website!
Innovation is a big one- they really emphasise their digital economy offerings; the usual collaborative environment and high standards (initiative) also suffice. Note that they are a globally integrated as part of their consolidation strategy (Project prism) so collaboration is deffo a big one too

Shah74k

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 12, 2023
@Jessica Booker

How do firms assess candidates based on SJT’s they complete.

Am I right in understanding they’ll ask Trainees/Associates to complete the SJT themselves and compare them (in characteristics) to what applicants do? i.e., if all Trainees/Associates do good in Adaptability and Drive/Ambition and an applicant didn’t - they’re written off?

Hana ♥

Distinguished Member
Jan 7, 2023
NRF Arctic Shores invitation - does anyone know how to actually pass this? I have never managed to, and I do especially bad on the power generator task. I have watched all possible videos on this test, I have applied the tips and I still do not pass. Last year I scored in the very top percentile for most, except for 'energised by others'. I have no idea which test might have measured this trait.

Is this SJT given out by NRF after they look at your application or not? I submitted my application last week.

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
What types of things do you guys talk about when a question asks about a challenging situation you have been through. Idk whats the best example to use

Hiya @deeja :)

This is a really common question that comes up both in interviews and written applications. I remember how challenging it could be to choose the right example – sometimes it felt like I couldn’t be entirely honest about the personal challenges I had actually faced. Using a strictly professional example often felt less genuine. That said, there are a few ways you can approach these types of questions.

Firstly, it’s entirely up to you how much you want to share in a written application. If you’re considering a deeply personal example, it’s worth thinking about how it might come across. There’s no "one-size-fits-all" approach, so the key is to share something that you feel comfortable with and confident in presenting. When structuring your answer, I'd try to keep the following in mind:
  • Describe the situation clearly. Give enough detail to explain the situation/context, but don’t spend too long on the background.
  • Focus on the key challenge. What were the main obstacles you faced? How did they affect you? When discussing the impact of the situation, try to be as factual as possible.
  • Discuss your approach to the challenge. What did you do to handle the challenge? Here, it's important to really highlight the the reasoning behind your choices or the actions you took in the situation.
  • Share any outcome and mention your personal growth. How did this experience help you grow or shape the way you approach challenges today?
As for the types of examples you might use, I've spoken to applicants who've successfully discussed some of the following in their own applications:
  • Academic challenges: Perhaps you had a difficult course or project that pushed you out of your comfort zone. You could talk about how you managed your time, sought help, or dealt with setbacks.
  • Work-related experiences: This could be about handling a demanding project, resolving a team conflict, or stepping into a leadership role when others weren’t available.
  • Personal challenges: If you're comfortable, you could discuss a personal experience, like managing a tough period in your life, balancing responsibilities, or overcoming unexpected changes.
  • Group work or teamwork: If you’ve worked in teams or groups where there were disagreements or conflicting ideas, explaining how you navigated those situations can show problem-solving and communication skills.
  • Volunteer or extracurricular activities: If you’ve taken part in activities outside of work or school, there might be examples where you took initiative, handled responsibilities, or dealt with challenges. I've read applications where people have discussed the challenges of travelling and living in a foreign country, or doing an activity that was incredibly demanding from a physical standpoint.
Ultimately, the goal is to show that you can handle difficult situations with a certain level of maturity and self-awareness. If the example is personal, make sure it’s framed in a way that shows the skills and qualities you gained from the experience.

If you have any more questions or need clarification, feel free to ask. I hope this helps! 😊

• 🏆
Reactions: deeja

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

How do firms assess candidates based on SJT’s they complete.

Am I right in understanding they’ll ask Trainees/Associates to complete the SJT themselves and compare them (in characteristics) to what applicants do? i.e., if all Trainees/Associates do good in Adaptability and Drive/Ambition and an applicant didn’t - they’re written off?
The first part about people from the firm completing the assessments is correct. In addition interviews with the firm’s lawyers will have designed the questions too.

It is unlikely with a SJT that you are marked by one competency. Instead you will receive either a negative/neutral/positive score for each answer and there will be a benchmark score you have to achieve. That benchmark is typically quite low because of the use of negative scoring.

rras

Standard Member
Premium Member
Feb 22, 2024
For more general questions like 'tell us about your hobbies/interests, or describe a recent setback' is it worth attempting to draw your answer back to your interest in the firm/how it aligns with firm features and values? Obviously I'd do it in a somewhat subtle way, but I'm not sure if it might be frowned upon?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, is an application review, included in the Bronze subscription?
It is not included - application reviews are only part of the Gold subscription.

You can choose to upgrade to Gold or alternatively purchase a review seperately (although it tends to be more cost-effective to upgrade to Gold). If you want to upgrade you can emai [email protected]

Reactions: 👩🎓

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.