• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
should I leave out mentioning another firm’s virtual work experience program in an application to a different firm? For context the VWE was a magic circle and the app is for a US firm.
If there is a connection to the experience to the firm you are applying to, you should include it somewhere in your application. It is not an issue it is with a competitor firm or with a different type of firm.

Reactions: 0livia.pope

Mentally and Physically Exhausted Applicant

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2022
what were they last year?
Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success?

2.Tell us about a challenge you have faced. What are the skills you used to overcome that challenge and how are they transferable to help you with a career as a lawyer

Amma Usman

Star Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Does any one have any advice on structuring this question for NRF - How has your understanding of the role of a commercial lawyer developed, and motivated you to pursue a career at Norton Rose Fulbright?

Is it best to essentially split it into:
1) Why I want to be a commercial lawyer with reference to relevant experiences and their impact on my understanding and motivation(s) for the role;
2) Why NRF and why I am a good fit with relevant reasons/examples.

Or would it be better to structure it in a combined manner, using multiple examples i.e.
1) Example of experience, how this has developed my understanding as a commercial lawyer and then how said experience links to NRF;
2) Repeat the same with another example; and
3) Repeat same with another example.

Would appreciate any guidance, whether that be using one of the above or an alternative approach to structuring an answer.
Hey @KGNines, great question!

With hybrid questions like this, I believe either approach is fine. However, whichever approach you take, you could include a short preamble statement stating which parts of the question you would cover in turn. This will let graduate recruitment know that you‘ve understood the question and are not going off on any tangents. Another general approach could be:

- A paragraph which really tells your story and what led you to commercial law. Any experiences outside law? Any experiences within law that were initially not ‘commercial’? Why did the commerce aspect appeal to you?
- A paragraph explaining why NRF? Work/practice areas? Recent developments you may not necessarily get at another firm? etc.

Hope this helped, and let me know if you have any other questions!

lookingforaTC

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2024
For those who are Paralegals - can I ask what your notice is after your probation period? I am a paralegal at the moment and my notice after 6 months probation will be 3 months - and I am wondering if this is industry standard or just my firm.

I'm thinking who is gonna wait 3 months to hire a paralegal with 6 months experience 💀

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For those who are Paralegals - can I ask what your notice is after your probation period? I am a paralegal at the moment and my notice after 6 months probation will be 3 months - and I am wondering if this is industry standard or just my firm.

I'm thinking who is gonna wait 3 months to hire a paralegal with 6 months experience 💀
3 months is not rare for permanent roles post probation these days. Fixed term contracts will more likely be 4 weeks/1 month.

zara elles

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 24, 2020
When I applied for direct tc this March I didn’t redo the test cause it was within a year from my 2023 direct tc app (only by a couple days). But I applied for the winter vs this cycle and had to redo the test, so I think it’s only a year
I did the test this year so not sure if it is worth reapplying with the same score? I know my written answers could be improved which i am planning to do but conflicted on whether I should wait for the direct tc to apply and do another test?

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
I did the test this year so not sure if it is worth reapplying with the same score? I know my written answers could be improved which i am planning to do but conflicted on whether I should wait for the direct tc to apply and do another test?
I’m not sure how much weight is given to each element, but I think the written answers may be more important. I got to the final interview the first time, but got rejected post app this year with the same test scores. So the only difference was my written answers, which I felt were a bit rushed

Reactions: zara elles

wqueens8

Jun 28, 2024
okay finally got around to submitting A&O shearman, that no retakes thing is absolutely criminal 🥲

completely lost my pace throughout both questions. i practiced them before several times, and got it under 1:45, but i was was slower in the actual recordings, and was so conscious of not looking at my script that i kept stumbling over my words. basically completely cut off the last paragraph of both questions

hoping it's not the end of the road as they're in my top 3 firms. also the only winter scheme I'm applying, but i'm not feeling great about it.

oh well onto hogan lovells

• 🤝
Reactions: Sharon Wu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.