• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

fingersarecrossed

Star Member
Feb 11, 2024
Hi,

I have been trying to improve my commercial awareness by reading the news more etc.

However, I am unsure how to approach it e.g., should i focus on the PESTLE aspect, or the impact on the law firm and its clients - but with that i don't know what to say other than advisory work for x sector may increase etc

Would appreciate any guidance, thank you in advance :)

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Hi,

I have been trying to improve my commercial awareness by reading the news more etc.

However, I am unsure how to approach it e.g., should i focus on the PESTLE aspect, or the impact on the law firm and its clients - but with that i don't know what to say other than advisory work for x sector may increase etc

Follow Watson’s daily and understand it. That, and read Chris Stoakes’s books. They thoroughly cover all the fundamentals.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What are the Sidley winter VS questions?
Describe a current commercial issue that has interested you and explain why it interested you?

Why does a career in commercial law and specifically Sidley Austin interest you?

In your view which personal qualities make a successful lawyer?

• 🤝
Reactions: lawyerdreams and Sharon Wu

laurenn42

Standard Member
Premium Member
Oct 7, 2022
Hi,

I really struggled with this at first, but a lot of firms hold virtual events that you can attend and they will talk about current topics like AI or things like the space sector and how it relates to their firm. Once you attend one of these you can start relating news stories to the legal field much more easily.

Reactions: fingersarecrossed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I’d try to not get too worried about taking one approach to reading the news. Some articles are going to do the analysis for you, so you don’t necessarily need to go into full PESTLE or SWOT type structures of analysis as that has already been done for you. Where it hasn't, rather than just going into in depth analysis through something like PESTLE, ask yourself more general questions like:

Why is this happening?
Who does it impact?
Why would lawyers care about this?
Why is this interesting to me?
What could influence this in the future?

These types of questions then start on a more foundation level getting you thinking about things that may make up a more formal analytical review like SWOT or PESTLE.

Reactions: fingersarecrossed

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.