• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

AS24

Distinguished Member
Apr 16, 2024
Morning forum,

Do you have any tips on how to tackle this year's vacation scheme deadlines? I work full-time and would love to hear from you, especially from those who work full-time.

Reactions: tcla888

VMS

Distinguished Member
Oct 16, 2023
Hi everyone! I'm not the best at Watson Glasers so I would greatly appreciate any help on this question:

Damage to roads in the area has made them unsuitable for loads over one ton. These loads are being transported to the capital by air, but as air resources are limited they are restricted to carrying food and medical supplies. Roads cannot be repaired until medical emergencies are dealt with. Therefore:

Statement: Food can be taken to the capital by road

My intuition is telling me that conclusion follows because if food is under one ton surely it can be taken to the capital by road

Statement: Medical supplies need to be taken by air

I have no clue if conclusion follows for this and would love any help!

I would say conclusion follows as well, but I'm no WG expert.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
“What is your understanding of how a business generates and maintains a profit? (Please provide examples)"

Any one got any ideas on how to approach this question? Would you look at it from a law firm’s perspective or businesses in general? I don’t know if it would be better if I used examples about the firm in particular (for instance how they’ve used legal tech to generate profit/attract more clients).
I would talk about business generally rather than just law firms. However, you could use the law firm example as something to reference to evidence your answer, but the whole answer should not be law firm specific (particularly where law firm business structures can be quite different to most businesses).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Some law firms only allow candidates to put 4-5 work experience, is it better to put formal experience / legal experience rather than extra activities?
I wouldn't include extracurricular activities in work experience sections anyway (no matter how many entries you have), but if you still have a lot fo work experience, choose your entries based one or more of the following factors:
  • What roles have been the most complex/challenging for you
  • Which roles you have done for the longest period of time
  • Which roles have connections to the role you are applying to, whether they be legal or within the type of clients the firm works with

SamiyaJ

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2024
Skadden VS: “In order to apply, undergraduate candidates need to have reached the penultimate year of their law degree or the final year of a non-law degree”

Can graduates apply?

Reactions: legalxp2

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
@Jessica Booker For a question asking us to explain both our motivation for commercial law and for the firm within a 300 word limit, are firms expecting really detailed answers for why them? I can just about expand on two points about the firm in detail but still feel like I’m not mentioning enough…

laurenn42

Premium Member
Oct 7, 2022
Does anyone know of any firms which recruit sooner than 2 years in advance or if they are flexible in trying to place you on an earlier intake if they have availability?
(where recruiting from a successful VS)

s9111

Esteemed Member
Aug 17, 2023
Do the A&O tests (Winter VS) have to be done by the VS application closing date, or within X days of receiving the email? I can't seem to find this answer anywhere. Thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.