• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Gg2001

Standard Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2024
Are you referring to the legal cheek fair?

I shortlisted two law firms to sit through, the trainee who was on the panel for the first firm was close to useless - people would be asking him questions and he would literally give the most generic answer of “yes…. There’s also loads of info on our website” to every question, he sounded like he knew nothing about the firm and it was hard to extrapolate any information from that specific law firm.

The second firm I sat through, was slightly better. Grad rec lady was blunt and very straightforward- nonetheless I still managed to get a lot of info from the trainees about their experiences which was great.

I don’t feel intimidated by 3000 people, you’re just as unique and have something to offer as all the other candidates
it is usually better to talk to 3rd or 4th seat trainees as they can give more detailed insight in the firm. I don’t understand why firms have fresh trainees at the events

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
it is usually better to talk to 3rd or 4th seat trainees as they can give more detailed insight in the firm. I don’t understand why firms have fresh trainees at the events
Because the third and fourth seat trainees are usually more focused on their seats as they are more likely to be the ones they qualify into.

I don't think you have to talk to 3rd or 4th seat trainees though - a first seater could be more knowledgable than you expect.

MaxC7930

Premium Member
Aug 6, 2024
Hi guys I'm thinking of applying to HSF this cycle as a second year law student.

I can apply for HSF disputes open day and their vacation scheme. I haven't done an open day at HSF yet so would you say I apply to their disputes open day this year possibly instead of the vac scheme? I'm thinking they would expect me to have done an open day with them when I write my application for the vac scheme but I could be wrong...

Reactions: TC seeker

evianmineral

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Mar 12, 2024
    Hi guys I'm thinking of applying to HSF this cycle as a second year law student.

I can apply for HSF disputes open day and their vacation scheme. I haven't done an open day at HSF yet so would you say I apply to their disputes open day this year possibly instead of the vac scheme? I'm thinking they would expect me to have done an open day with them when I write my application for the vac scheme but I could be wrong...
    apply to VS anyway - ideal situation is you apply to VS having done the open day, using experiences of the day in the app.

either way apply to VS regardless - the worst case scenario is you're in the same situation you are in right now - no VS offer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

You won't need to have done an open day to secure a vacation scheme with the firm, but the open day may help you with future applications at the same time.

Reactions: MaxC7930

aliciawash

Jul 23, 2024
    im a final-year law student and an international student having not done a vs in my second year. just want to check that if I don't get a vs/tc in my final year , is it advisable to self fund sqe, get a post grad visa and apply for paralegal jobs, or do a masters ? Anyone w experience /advice pls PM me !!

codytrainee

Mar 22, 2024
    “What is your understanding of how a business generates and maintains a profit? (Please provide examples)"

Any one got any ideas on how to approach this question? Would you look at it from a law firm’s perspective or businesses in general? I don’t know if it would be better if I used examples about the firm in particular (for instance how they’ve used legal tech to generate profit/attract more clients).

Apple

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    @Jessica Booker Do you think using an academic achievement as an answer for CC's "tell us about your greatest achievement" question is a poor answer? I feel like its not really in the spirit of what they're asking. I was planning on referring to past failures and saying its an achievement because I was resilient etc (obviously more fleshed out than this)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Do you think using an academic achievement as an answer for CC's "tell us about your greatest achievement" question is a poor answer? I feel like its not really in the spirit of what they're asking. I was planning on referring to past failures and saying its an achievement because I was resilient etc (obviously more fleshed out than this)
    It really depends on what the achievement is. If it is just achieving a certain grade (whether in a module or overall) then I don't think this is unique enough unless you have a particular unique set of circumstances happening at the time of the academic achievement (although then the achievement is really getting through those circumstances rather than the academic grade).

But it can work if the achievement is more unique. For instance, if you received a unique prize or had your academic work published, then it could work.

futuretcholder

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 26, 2024
    Hi everyone! I'm not the best at Watson Glasers so I would greatly appreciate any help on this question:

Damage to roads in the area has made them unsuitable for loads over one ton. These loads are being transported to the capital by air, but as air resources are limited they are restricted to carrying food and medical supplies. Roads cannot be repaired until medical emergencies are dealt with. Therefore:

Statement: Food can be taken to the capital by road

My intuition is telling me that conclusion follows because if food is under one ton surely it can be taken to the capital by road

Statement: Medical supplies need to be taken by air

I have no clue if conclusion follows for this and would love any help!

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    “What is your understanding of how a business generates and maintains a profit? (Please provide examples)"

Any one got any ideas on how to approach this question? Would you look at it from a law firm’s perspective or businesses in general? I don’t know if it would be better if I used examples about the firm in particular (for instance how they’ve used legal tech to generate profit/attract more clients).
    Differentiate between revenue and profits firstly. I would answer the question generally. Then apply to businesses you know.

If it was me, I'd say...

"A business generates profits by adding value via goods or services. The business profits because the price of these goods and services, either for consumers in the context of a Business to Consumer (B2C) business or a Business to Business (B2B) business, is lower than the cost of delivering those goods and services to the business itself.

To maintain a profit, a business must retain a client base. For example, my tutoring business obtains repeat business from clients in 20 countries, including Turkmenistan, Ukraine and China. Speaking to the maintenance part of the question again, repeat profits for my business revolves around primary income from delivering tutoring services and secondary income from referring tutors to agencies (a relatively passive form of income from which the business has made over £1,300)."

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.