• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

evianmineral

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Mar 12, 2024
    Also - is there a thread for tracking events (e.g. A&O's upcoming grad rec call)? If not, does anyone have any advice for keeping up to date with the events each firm has? I have email notifs from places like Legal Cheek etc. and I even tried to create a RSS feed for the firm's events pages but didn't have much success..
    Seconding this, the thread for the VS deadlines is really good but would LOVE one for events

lawyersum

Star Member
    Jun 28, 2024
    Hi everyone,

I would love to know for all firms, specifically Travers Smith my number one firm of choice for a 2024/25 vac scheme, whether the following experience would fit as a work experience, position of responsibility, or extracurricular.

After submitting my CV and a writing sample in Dec 2023 for a very popular legal blog, I got accepted to contribute monthly articles with deadlines to one of its blog sections. Recently, my editor recommended my promotion to their role as they are leaving soon. As Editor I would be in charge of a team of writers, create monthly rotas, contribute my own articles, and onboard new writers.

And just for some background knowledge, in terms of my proper work experience, I've currently got a high-street internship, pro-bono centre volunteering, Legal Cheek virtual vac schemes, and tutoring secondary school students as for-sure entries in the work experience section.

Given how I obtained this experience (Writer to Editor), the tasks involved, and my promotion, what section of the application form this would fit into? @Jaysen, @Jessica Booker, or anyone your advice would be much appreciated. Also, how do I word the promotion?

Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I would love to know for all firms, specifically Travers Smith my number one firm of choice for a 2024/25 vac scheme, whether the following experience would fit as a work experience, position of responsibility, or extracurricular.

After submitting my CV and a writing sample in Dec 2023 for a very popular legal blog, I got accepted to contribute monthly articles with deadlines to one of its blog sections. Recently, my editor recommended my promotion to their role as they are leaving soon. As Editor I would be in charge of a team of writers, create monthly rotas, contribute my own articles, and onboard new writers.

And just for some background knowledge, in terms of my proper work experience, I've currently got a high-street internship, pro-bono centre volunteering, Legal Cheek virtual vac schemes, and tutoring secondary school students as for-sure entries in the work experience section.

Given how I obtained this experience (Writer to Editor), the tasks involved, and my promotion, what section of the application form this would fit into? @Jaysen, @Jessica Booker, or anyone your advice would be much appreciated. Also, how do I word the promotion?

Thank you
    Positions of responsibility and extra curriculars are interchangeable terms rather than distinct categories.

For me this sounds like work experience though, but could fit under extra curriculars/positions of responsibility if you were limited in the number of work experience entries you can submit.

Reactions: floral.tcla

lawyersum

Star Member
    Jun 28, 2024
    Positions of responsibility and extra curriculars are interchangeable terms rather than distinct categories.

For me this sounds like work experience though, but could fit under extra curriculars/positions of responsibility if you were limited in the number of work experience entries you can submit.
    Thank you very much @Jessica Booker for clarifying this. Hope to put it in the work experience section if space permits.

pepsicola96

Standard Member
    Jul 11, 2024
    Also - is there a thread for tracking events (e.g. A&O's upcoming grad rec call)? If not, does anyone have any advice for keeping up to date with the events each firm has? I have email notifs from places like Legal Cheek etc. and I even tried to create a RSS feed for the firm's events pages but didn't have much success..
    no advice really, I just have a list of the 12 firms I'm applying to. Go through each of their websites events page, and their socials, then also legal cheek, all about law, aspiring solicitors etc and check for events for all of them. Signed up for everything pretty much haha.

Reactions: floral.tcla

lookingforaTC

Distinguished Member
    Feb 16, 2024
    Sidley Austin VS apps open. Not to put anyone off applying at all, but I have looked through their trainees on LinkedIn and found only 2 of their 30 trainee cohort who attended state school (granted I probably didn't find everyone).

I don't understand why the likes of Legal Cheek don't look into this and report it.

People know privilege is bad at these US firms - but do they really know it is that bad?

90% Oxbridge too - with some LSE/Bristol and Notts/Exeter came up.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sidley Austin VS apps open. Not to put anyone off applying at all, but I have looked through their trainees on LinkedIn and found only 2 of their 30 trainee cohort who attended state school (granted I probably didn't find everyone).

I don't understand why the likes of Legal Cheek don't look into this and report it.

People know privilege is bad at these US firms - but do they really know it is that bad?

90% Oxbridge too - with some LSE/Bristol and Notts/Exeter came up.
    State schools are often not listed on LinkedIn.

For instance, I can’t select my state school for my A-levels but I can select my local Grammar School. Yes, I can manually add my state school, but it isn’t as straight forward in doing so as selecting a recognised educational institution listed on LinkedIn.

So the very low figures could be because people don’t list their school (like I don’t) because they can’t find it or because they don’t even have that level of education listed.

Non-state schools are pretty good at making sure people connect to these as they love a good alumni network to help the future of their schools.

How many profiles were you able to identify that were non-state school educated?

Reactions: 19.mfjones

pepsicola96

Standard Member
    Jul 11, 2024
    How valuable is attending in-person open days for firms?

Of course I do want to go, but practically it can be quite difficult. One of the firms I'm applying to (Hogan Lovells) is hosting one in october, I'll be at uni for this one, and It's a 4-5 hour train each way to London. They might pay for the train fare but I doubt they'd pay for a hotel.

So while I would like to go for the indirect advantages (learning about the firm, the process etc), is there any direct and explicit advantage?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How valuable is attending in-person open days for firms?

Of course I do want to go, but practically it can be quite difficult. One of the firms I'm applying to (Hogan Lovells) is hosting one in october, I'll be at uni for this one, and It's a 4-5 hour train each way to London. They might pay for the train fare but I doubt they'd pay for a hotel.

So while I would like to go for the indirect advantages (learning about the firm, the process etc), is there any direct and explicit advantage?
    They may pay for a hotel given the distance you would need to travel. Maybe contact the firm first to ask what their policy on that is. Its not uncommon for firms to provide accommodation the night before an open day for those who cannot travel in that morning (e.g. from Scotland/Newcastle/Durham and similarly far destinations), especially when the train fare might actually be more expensive due to it being a peak train fare. Can often be cheaper to travel the night before and get a reasonably priced hotel in central London.

If you can go to such events, I recommend it. You become far more memorable when you meet people over the course of a day. There were so many where I would be waiting for an open day attendee's application form because they had made such a great impression on the day itself.

VacSchemer

Premium Member
    Dec 6, 2023
    Does anyone know how long Sidley usually takes to get back to the applicants? I know they review applications on a rolling basis but would like to know if it’s more so on a weekly basis etc

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    I’m a non law grad with a months worth of legal experience. I have a strong feeling of which practice areas I’d love to work in. Obviously it’s too early to tell what I would pick, however, and how well I would do of course! Nonetheless I wonder how much I should know about the practice areas I’m in invested in. Furthermore how many practice/sectors areas should I feel comfortable having a discussion about (when it comes to a commercial story question). I don’t want to do in depth research for too many.

My main interests are Public Law, Immigration, Employment, and Risk advisory (Investigations and ethics work). I have enjoyed work in IP, Tax, and I have strong interest in Healthcare/Life sciences. I’ve only chosen firms which are strong in at least 3 of these areas. Just so I have diversity in firms chosen and the training if I get accepted.

I’ve found that when researching firms, I focus heavily on their public law work, it’s the area I’m most interested in. I’ve realised it encompasses a lot practice areas in to one which I love. Furthermore, my legal experience has focused on this a lot and my academic work focused loosely on public law (areas like Imigration, Lifesciences, and Human Rights) Am I trenching my interests in an one area naively in prep for applications? Or can I carry on because of the practice area covers so many different sectors and practices, which means I can draw on a range of insights to demonstrate my interest in various commercial issues?

user3883930

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 22, 2024
    no advice really, I just have a list of the 12 firms I'm applying to. Go through each of their websites events page, and their socials, then also legal cheek, all about law, aspiring solicitors etc and check for events for all of them. Signed up for everything pretty much haha.
    Did you find many opportunities to sign up for this month? Everywhere I've looked, events seem to start September onwards - the only one I've seen so far is the A&O talk

s2203

Star Member
    Mar 28, 2023
    Hi everyone,

Thank you
    Hey, on Travers Smith's application there are two questions, one which allows you to put any details of extra curricular(tutoring) and then another on any achievements/awards/levels of responsibility which you have gained (the very popular legal blog). :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.