• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

LexNavigator

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2020
Are US firms expecting students to have more legal work experiences? ( I feel like they may have a higher standard due to their small intake
In my experience the smaller ones, which might hire 2-3 trainees will have this expectation yes, but it’s not a hard and fast rule. I’d say elite New York firms, which hire 9-15 trainees, or even more like Latham, which hires about 32, would not have work experience as a strict requirement. I’ll caveat this by saying this is my personal impression given the firms I’ve interacted with

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker So sorry for pinging you here but could you please check your PMs? I couldn't bring it up here since it mentions personal info!
Hi there - unfortunately there is a bit of a delay in me responding to PMs at the moment due to the volume received. I will try and come back to yours as soon as possible.

ashwright

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 10, 2023
    In my experience the smaller ones, which might hire 2-3 trainees will have this expectation yes, but it’s not a hard and fast rule. I’d say elite New York firms, which hire 9-15 trainees, or even more like Latham, which hires about 32, would not have work experience as a strict requirement. I’ll caveat this by saying this is my personal impression given the firms I’ve interacted with
    This is super interesting - thank you for sharing! Quick clarifying q - is this an expectation for VS apps, not just TCs?

ashwright

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 10, 2023
    Also - quick q on Clifford Chance. They don't offer the traditional VS so would a final year law student need to apply via their TC route (which I assume requires some form of legal experience)?

ashwright

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 10, 2023
    Doesn't require legal experience (tho having some never hurts)

You just apply via direct TC - loads and loads get offers this way.
    Also! I just noticed that you were the person who mentioned the A&O monday recruitment talks! thank you for flagging them :) could I ask whether you managed to attend yesterday's (and if so, whether any helpful pointers were shared)?

HelpAStudentOut

Aug 8, 2024
    I’m not sure if I’m being stupid, but on the Sidley winter VC application form there’s only space for 4 work experience examples to be entered - unless there’s somewhere to attach a CV I guess I just put my four most recent/legal experience??

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    I’m not sure if I’m being stupid, but on the Sidley winter VC application form there’s only space for 4 work experience examples to be entered - unless there’s somewhere to attach a CV I guess I just put my four most recent/legal experience??
    I don't think it needs to be the 4 most recent, I just choose 4 which highlight your relevant skills the best!

daisy110601

Feb 13, 2024
    Since the A&O Shearman interactive assessment is hosted on the Amberjack Assessment Platform, does this mean we are being assessed against their four strength pillars (grit, applied intellect, creative force, digital mindset)? Or could it be a list of skills chosen by the firm?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: floral.tcla

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.