• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

s2203

Star Member
Mar 28, 2023
Reactions: Zi48

inestrichard

Premium Member
Aug 3, 2024
Hi! Can you apply to both a winter vacation scheme and a summer vacation scheme for the same firm? (I'm thinking Hogan Lovells for instance). If so, do you know if applications (and Watson Glacier test results) are considered separately? Thanks!

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023

Zi48

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    Hi! Can you apply to both a winter vacation scheme and a summer vacation scheme for the same firm? (I'm thinking Hogan Lovells for instance). If so, do you know if applications (and Watson Glacier test results) are considered separately? Thanks!
    You can only apply to Hogan Lovells once between September-July.

Some firms let you apply for a vacation scheme and training contract in the same year, but I don’t know of any that let you apply to two vacation schemes in one cycle

Reactions: VMS and Jaysen

LexNavigator

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 10, 2020
    Does anyone have a list of firms which have a straightforward recruitment process. E.g., application and then interview
    Debevoise & Plimpton (vacation scheme), Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle (direct training contract), Dorsey & Whitney (direct training contract), Covington & Burling (vacation scheme), Morrison Foerster (vacation scheme)

_shims_

Standard Member
    Jul 15, 2024
    Sidley Austin's Winter Vacation Scheme Application includes these two questions:
    1. Describe a current commercial issue that has interested you and explain why it interested you? (250 words max)
    2. In your view which personal qualities make a successful lawyer? (250 words max)
    Should my answers link back to the firm, even though the questions do not ask me to do so?

Also if anyone has any tips on how to answer commercial questions like Q1, I would greatly appreciate it! I feel like I tend to get immediate rejections from firms that have a similar application question - so definitely an area I need to work on.

Thank you!

Reactions: floral.tcla

SoonToBeTrainee

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 29, 2023
    Sidley Austin's Winter Vacation Scheme Application includes these two questions:
    1. Describe a current commercial issue that has interested you and explain why it interested you? (250 words max)
    2. In your view which personal qualities make a successful lawyer? (250 words max)
    Should my answers link back to the firm, even though the questions do not ask me to do so?

Also if anyone has any tips on how to answer commercial questions like Q1, I would greatly appreciate it! I feel like I tend to get immediate rejections from firms that have a similar application question - so definitely an area I need to work on.

Thank you!
    I saw a couple posts from Jessica about this. Essentially, it’s not necessary to link your answers back to the firm if the question doesn’t directly ask you to.

In the case of Q1, the firm just want to hear about your interests and, perhaps more importantly, why you’re interested.
    Brief references to the firm in passing etc. are fine, but not required. Trying to anticipate questions can often mean that applicants avoid answering the direct question completely. So, it’s probably better to just answer what’s being asked.

To parrot Jessica (lol), my advice for Q1 is to focus on something specific, in order to distinguish yourself from others and show a depth of analysis on that commercial topic.

On a personal note:
    I wouldn’t say the commercial topic needs to be directly relevant to a firm’s core practice areas / clients, when the question doesn’t specify otherwise. If a firm is full-service, for example, mentioning a more unique topic that genuinely interests you (and that you can therefore go into depth with) is probably more likely to help you stand out.

_shims_

Standard Member
    Jul 15, 2024
    I saw a couple posts from Jessica about this. Essentially, it’s not necessary to link your answers back to the firm if the question doesn’t directly ask you to.

In the case of Q1, the firm just want to hear about your interests and, perhaps more importantly, why you’re interested.
    Brief references to the firm in passing etc. are fine, but not required. Trying to anticipate questions can often mean that applicants avoid answering the direct question completely. So, it’s probably better to just answer what’s being asked.

To parrot Jessica (lol), my advice for Q1 is to focus on something specific, in order to distinguish yourself from others and show a depth of analysis on that commercial topic.

On a personal note:
    I wouldn’t say the commercial topic needs to be directly relevant to a firm’s core practice areas / clients, when the question doesn’t specify otherwise. Sidley is a full-service practice, so mentioning a more unique topic that genuinely interests you (and that you can therefore go into depth with) is probably more likely to help you stand out.
    Thank you for your insight!

s9111

Esteemed Member
    Aug 17, 2023
    Does anyone know how long it typically takes Sidley to get back re a Winter VS application? The email I received said 'as soon as possible', but if anyone has any experience on a more definitive timeline that would be helpful. Thanks!

ashwright

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 10, 2023
    I interviewed at Slaughters and W&C with similar grades, so if its a firm you're really interested in go for it.

Worst case scenario you spent a day applying to a firm you didn't get interviewed at.
    This is super reasurring to hear! If it's alright, may I ask what your classification (by year and/or overall) was?
    Thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.