Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker just chasing up if you have any advice?

Also- what are your thoughts on using "I'm" instead of "I am" or "it's" for "it is". I'm struggling with word count and this is the only way to keep it down!
Avoid contracted words - it’s a formal document so full words “I am” and “it is” should be used throughout and consistently.

This post will give you some hints on where other words can be saved in applications though: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....r-applications-within-their-word-limits.3701/

For the Mishcon application, are there any other questions that would answer your citizenship status/right to work status?

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2023
Avoid contracted words - it’s a formal document so full words “I am” and “it is” should be used throughout and consistently.

This post will give you some hints on where other words can be saved in applications though: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....r-applications-within-their-word-limits.3701/

For the Mishcon application, are there any other questions that would answer your citizenship status/right to work status?
Thank you so much for the document!

Regarding Mishcon:
Q1: Do you require a visa to work in the UK (Y/N)
Q2: Do you currently hold a valid visa to work in the the UK (Y/N + If yes, please provide details).
Q3: If you are an EU or Swiss National or the family member of an EU or Swiss, have you received, or made an application for, Settled or Pre-Settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme? (Y/N)

I just don't know if they see a UK passport as a visa? It just seems a bit weird?

Also, do you have thoughts about the boxes for "achievements and awards"? (If they have 5 boxes is it expected to fill all 5? I have filled 2, one with all my virtual VS/ internships (like legal cheek's one) + Forage, the other with volunteering work I have done. Should I try and fill the other 3 as well (separating Forage from the rest, talking about hobbies etc) or is that overkill if I don't really have anything more to say?)

s9111

Valued Member
Aug 17, 2023
The DLA Piper email (having passed the WG) says “Our team will carefully review all candidates who have reached this stage and shortlist those who will progress to the next phase”.

Does this mean the WG was automatic? I thought shortlisted applicants were invited to take the WG in the first place.

billyonthespeeddial

Jan 21, 2023
literally, it's so annoying. I'm wondering whether it's actually automatic - I sent them an email about it so hopefully they get back to me relatively soon!

Same thing happens every year - the WG is automatic. E-mail and chase them if you've been waiting long. They are so inconsistent with sending them out.

I've just received my test without emailing graduate recruitment btw, so it's not automatic

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much for the document!

Regarding Mishcon:
Q1: Do you require a visa to work in the UK (Y/N)
Q2: Do you currently hold a valid visa to work in the the UK (Y/N + If yes, please provide details).
Q3: If you are an EU or Swiss National or the family member of an EU or Swiss, have you received, or made an application for, Settled or Pre-Settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme? (Y/N)

I just don't know if they see a UK passport as a visa? It just seems a bit weird?

Also, do you have thoughts about the boxes for "achievements and awards"? (If they have 5 boxes is it expected to fill all 5? I have filled 2, one with all my virtual VS/ internships (like legal cheek's one) + Forage, the other with volunteering work I have done. Should I try and fill the other 3 as well (separating Forage from the rest, talking about hobbies etc) or is that overkill if I don't really have anything more to say?)
It is fine to say N to question 2 if you have put N to question 1.

I would try to put more achievements rather then individual virtual programmes into this section. It is not an issue if you haven’t got 5 examples.

Reactions: AlegalA

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.