TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

smokedsalmoncanape

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2024
HSF PFO post test

Frankly, I thought the automatic feedback report did not reflect my answers. I like working in a team and with colleagues, so made sure to answer accordingly in the personality test section, but my feedback report told me that 'engaging in team discussions and activities might not come naturally to [me]'. I might be overthinking this but the personality test seems to be a guise to screen out neurodivergent people like me. Do I need to like interacting with new people all the time? Do I need to like working with people who disagree with my opinions? (I mean, if someone disagrees with my specific political opinions, that means they don't see people like me as equals – why would I want to work with them?) I have never disclosed my neurodivergence in any applications because I don't know what accomodations to ask for... I don't need extra time or other typical accomodations, I just need 'personality' tests to be less vague and confusing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

asplawyer100

Feb 13, 2024
HSF PFO post test

Frankly, I thought the automatic feedback report did not reflect my answers. I like working in a team and with colleagues, so made sure to answer accordingly in the personality test section, but my feedback report told me that 'engaging in team discussions and activities might not come naturally to [me]'. I might be overthinking this but the personality test seems to be a guise to screen out neurodivergent people like me. Do I need to like interacting with new people all the time? Do I need to like working with people who disagree with my opinions? (I mean, if someone disagrees with my specific political opinions, that means they don't see people like me as equals – why would I want to work with them?) I have never disclosed my neurodivergence in any applications because I don't know what accomodations to ask for... I don't need extra time or other typical accomodations, I just need 'personality' tests to be less vague and confusing.

Did you get a PFO on the basis of your test or do you mean post test as in you passed the test and the PFO was on the basis of the app?

smokedsalmoncanape

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2024
Did you get a PFO on the basis of your test or do you mean post test as in you passed the test and the PFO was on the basis of the app?
"Unfortunately, we have to inform you that you have not reached our benchmark on our online test and we are unable to progress your application on this occasion." They didn't even read my application...

• 🤝
Reactions: SamiyaJ

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
CC* ✅📝
HSF ✅📝❌
NRF ✅📝❌
Weil ✅
Akin ✅
Sidley ✅
Willkie ✅🎥
Cooley
Latham
Milbank ✅
Kirkland ✅
Skadden
Goodwin ✅
Covington ✅
Linklaters* ✅📝
Paul, Weiss ✅
Slaughters* ✅
Gibson Dunn
Macfarlanes* ✅📝
White & Case ✅
Hogan Lovells* ✅
Cleary Gottlieb ✅
A&O Shearman ✅📝
Vinson & Elkins
King & Spalding* ✅

Key: ✅ = application submitted; 📝 = test received; 🎥 = video interview; ❌ = rejection.

*Training Contract applications

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
HSF PFO post test

I think the answer is yes it is important to like working with people who disagree with your opinions, at least in the superficial responses they want for these tests. I dont believe this refers to political beliefs, more so practical legal solutions and incorporating a diverse range of opinions rather than just your own. In that context, you can see why its important. Just my opinion having passed a few of these tests.

Reactions: smokedsalmoncanape

fingersarecrossed

Esteemed Member
  • Feb 11, 2024
    CC* ✅📝
    HSF ✅📝❌
    NRF ✅📝❌
    Weil ✅
    Akin ✅
    Sidley ✅
    Willkie ✅🎥
    Cooley
    Latham
    Milbank ✅
    Kirkland ✅
    Skadden
    Goodwin ✅
    Covington ✅
    Linklaters* ✅📝
    Paul, Weiss ✅
    Slaughters* ✅
    Gibson Dunn
    Macfarlanes* ✅📝
    White & Case ✅
    Hogan Lovells* ✅
    Cleary Gottlieb ✅
    A&O Shearman ✅📝
    Vinson & Elkins
    King & Spalding* ✅

Key: ✅ = application submitted; 📝 = test received; 🎥 = video interview; ❌ = rejection.

*Training Contract applications
    wow you're on fire! keep it up!!

Reactions: Sharon Wu

fingersarecrossed

Esteemed Member
  • Feb 11, 2024
    i feel the same. i spoke to an associate who told me the firm doesn't want all its trainees to be leaders, they want some trainees to engage rather than lead and say 'right this is what we are going to do' etc.
    -
    i dislike the online SJT so much. i've answered honestly, ive tried to answer according to the firm's values and it seems so eh. i agree with you, they purposely trip you up, especially when they ask you to put your preference on a scale
    -
    As a neurodivergent, perhaps you could email them saying hello i am neurodivergent and i was wondering what type of adjustments you provide because some firms may completely take the SJT aspect out of ur test

HSF PFO post test

smokedsalmoncanape

Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2024
    I think the answer is yes it is important to like working with people who disagree with your opinions, at least in the superficial responses they want for these tests. I dont believe this refers to political beliefs, more so practical legal solutions and incorporating a diverse range of opinions rather than just your own. In that context, you can see why its important. Just my opinion having passed a few of these tests.
    This makes a lot of sense! I struggle with how vague and confusing these questions tend to be – they never ask what they mean! I don't know how I am supposed to navigate these online tests with how my brain works...

• 🤝
    Reactions: Apple

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 4, 2023
    Hey all, just have a few questions (specifically in reference to Mishcon if that's helpful).
    1- they ask "do you currently hold a valid visa" right after I answered "no" for needing a visa to work in the UK. I've got a UK passport so don't need a visa, am I correct in saying no to that question or are they considering a passport to be a visa? (I am definitely overthinking this I just don't want to make a mistake lol).

2- They have 5 boxes for "achievements and awards". I have filled 2, one with all my virtual VS/ internships (like legal cheek's one) + Forage, the other with volunteering work I have done. Should I try and fill the other 3 as well (separating Forage from the rest, talking about hobbies etc) or is that overkill if I don't really have anything more to say?

Thank you!
    @Jessica Booker just chasing up if you have any advice?

Also- what are your thoughts on using "I'm" instead of "I am" or "it's" for "it is". I'm struggling with word count and this is the only way to keep it down!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.