• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

THE GOAT

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 9, 2024
Not yet, they're in my top five firms though, along with Willkie, Milbank, SullCrom (who aren't open yet) and White & Case. Were many other people doing interviews that day? I know the Jones Day interview is literally just go in, have an interview, leave. Is Sidley more of an AC?
As far as I am aware I was the only one that day but no idea tbh. It is just an 1hr 15 interview.

• Wow
Reactions: Sharon Wu

tcla02

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2024
hi I got the email from DLA saying I have to take the WG and that the link is another email but so far I have received no emails with the test. It's been one day since they sent me the first email and I do not know what to do anymore. anyone have any ideas?

l789

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2020
No I was rejected, unfortunately. I just submitted my App so I'm thinking it is unlikely I'll get far.
Thanks for replying… sorry to hear about that.

I also got rejected, even though I thought my application was ridiculously strong. Allaboutlaw said it was due to capacity issues that they couldn’t invite everyone.

Nevertheless I attended a virtual event with HL through Allaboutlaw and gained some very unique insights so hope that will help my application.

wishing you the best outcome for the application- I know you can do it!!!

• 🤝
Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hi, I am applying to a VS for a firm with the same application questions as the TC I applied for in July. They sent an email saying that they had filled all their spots for the TC and would not be progressing my application as a result of no more TCs being available.

I am under the impression that they did not review my application. Would it be okay to use the same answers I submitted a few months ago or would this be disadvantageous? @Jessica Booker Thank you!

Hiya @Chelsea101 :)

It's great that you're reapplying for a vacation scheme, but to build on what @Jessica Booker said, I'd recommend against submitting the same application you used for the training contract application in July. Even if the firm didn’t review your previous application, updating it shows that you've reflected on your experiences, motivations, and have gained fresh insights since then.

In previous cycles, Jess and several other Community Assistants have emphasised to me the importance of going beyond just updating factual information. For example, for any commercially focussed questions, it’s worth discussing something more recent than what you mentioned in your previous application. The legal industry, particularly commercial law, is dynamic and constantly evolving. Firms want to see that you’re keeping up to date with these changes and understand how current events impact their clients and the sectors they operate in. Using recent developments in your answers not only demonstrates your commercial awareness but also shows your genuine interest in staying informed and engaged.

Similarly, when discussing your motivations for joining the firm or your research into their work, it’s important to refine these points to reflect any new insights or areas of interest. For instance, you might ask yourself what you've learnt about the firm since your last application; have there been any recent developments in their practice areas, deals/cases, or CSR/EDI initiatives that have resonated with you? By reflecting on such questions, you can ensure that your reasons for wanting to join the firm remain current, thoughtful, and tailored to any new information you've gained.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Chelsea101

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Is it enough that Macfarlanes and Jones Day both have very strong rankings/reputation in mid-market M&A to call them "competitors"? The same goes for DLA Piper in PE buyouts.

JD has few rankings in UK practice areas, so I'm having a difficult time figuring out who their competitors really are.

Hiya @Apple :)

You're definitely on the right track by looking at rankings and reputation in specific practice areas like mid-market M&A. It’s a good starting point when thinking about competitors. However, when answering this sort of question in my own applications/interviews, I found it helpful to take a step back and consider a wider range of factors beyond rankings. For instance, history, organisational structure, geographic footprint, and strategic focus all play a role in defining a firm’s competitors (though you don't need to mention all or any given one of these). In addition to practice area rankings, taking these additional factors into will help you make much more apt comparisons.

While Jones Day is certainly similar to firms like Macfarlanes or DLA Piper in terms of its rankings in those areas, you might want to consider firms such as Dechert or even Willkie. For instance, much like Jones Day, Dechert is a US-headquartered firm and entered the London market through a merger with important local UK outfit: Jones Day merged with Gouldens in 2003, and Dechert joined forces with Titmuss Sainer in 2000. As you mentioned, both firms have strong reputations in mid-market M&A, but they also have notable disputes capabilities as well (both firms are particularly well-known for advising on fraud-related matters). In this way, they are also much more similar to each other than other US firms whose work is often focussed on transactional matters. Their shared US origins, strategic London expansions, and similar practice strengths make Dechert a more direct competitor to Jones Day than firms such as Macfarlanes or DLA Piper (indeed, I think the latter two have histories, organisational structures, and strategies that differ in very significant ways from Jones Day, making it less apt to call them competitors).

I really hope this offers some help with answering this sort of question. Good luck with the application 🥳

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu and HLL

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Hiya @Apple :)

You're definitely on the right track by looking at rankings and reputation in specific practice areas like mid-market M&A. It’s a good starting point when thinking about competitors. However, when answering this sort of question in my own applications/interviews, I found it helpful to take a step back and consider a wider range of factors beyond rankings. For instance, history, organisational structure, geographic footprint, and strategic focus all play a role in defining a firm’s competitors (though you don't need to mention all or any one of these). In addition to practice area rankings, taking these additional factors into will help you make much more apt comparisons.

While Jones Day is certainly similar to firms like Macfarlanes or DLA Piper in terms of its rankings in those areas, you might want to consider firms such as Dechert or even Willkie. For instance, much like Jones Day, Dechert is a US-headquartered firm and entered the London market through a merger with important local UK outfit: Jones Day merged with Gouldens in 2003, and Dechert joined forces with Titmuss Sainer in 2000. As you mentioned, both firms have strong reputations in mid-market M&A, but they also have notable disputes capabilities as well (both firms are particularly well-known for advising on fraud-related matters). In this way, they are also much more similar to each other than other US firms whose work is largely transactionally focussed. Their shared US origins, strategic London expansions, and similar practice strengths make Dechert a more direct competitor to Jones Day than firms such as Macfarlanes or DLA Piper (indeed, I think the latter two have histories, organisational structures, and strategies that differ in very significant ways from Jones Day, making it less apt to call them competitors).

I really hope this helps and offers some help with answering this sort of question. Good luck with the application 🥳
This was perfect, thank you :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker ,

I have just been accepted in a Pro bono placement programme which I will be able to add to my CV from early to mid November onwards as I have not done anything yet. Will I be at a disadvantage if I wait until at least mid November to apply to firms that are rolling (Reed, Dentons, Bakers, OC)?
If you still have 3-4 (or more weeks) before the deadline, I don’t think it’s an issue to wait. However, you could just include the entry anyway but just not provide a detailed description of the work too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.