• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Giorgos

Star Member
Premium Member
Jul 5, 2023
If you still have 3-4 (or more weeks) before the deadline, I don’t think it’s an issue to wait. However, you could just include the entry anyway but just not provide a detailed description of the work too.
I still have at least 2 months for most of these firms as most of them have december/january deadline. Can I include the entry without starting it and say that I have been accepted or should I just wait until I start maybe the training or the work itself so I have something tangible to write?

lookingforaTC

Esteemed Member
Feb 16, 2024
Hey guys, for the Linklaters assessment, is the critical thinking section after the SJT the Watson Glaser test? i.e., does that also have to be finished by the deadline, or is it the one that can be taken upto 5 days after submitting the application?
Links are contradictory as to whether the SJT (which includes the critical thinking test) must be done by the application deadline or the deadline stated when you login.

I have finished mine past the application deadline and will e-mail them and hopefully they allow it.

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
What are some setbacks ppl talk about in applications?

Hiya @deeja :)

I used to find this sort of question quite tricky to answer. I would generally avoid discussing set backs related to academics or applications. Instead, I tried to focus on some of the more professional or volunteer-related setback. Here are some examples I've used in previous applications and interviews:
  • Workplace/task setbacks: If there were any work-related projects or tasks that didn't go quite as you expected, this is something worth discussing. I've reached for several different examples during interview/applications, including struggling to meet closely bunched deadlines; miscommunication within a team that later affected our deliverable; and overlooking an important step when completing a complex work task, which subsequently required me to think about how to adapt to my initial mistake.

• Technical setbacks: As someone who isn't the most tech-savvy person, I've sometimes discussed the difficulties I've faced in using tech when completing important tasks. In these cases, I try to show how I've adapted to the technical issue to complete a task or drew on my ability to learn quickly to navigate the tech system/app in question.

• Needing to suddenly step up: Sometimes when working in group settings, you may suddenly be placed in a leadership position or have to show you're capable of stepping up in difficult circumstances. This might be because someone in the group fell sick, or had to suddenly step aside from their role. This happened to me once while serving in a volunteer position when planning an important event for a student led society. In that circumstance, I discussed how I navigate the sudden change and expectations placed on me.
These are just some examples, and undoubtedly others may have much more compelling ones to mention here. The important thing to note when answering this sort of question is not just describing the setback you faced, but breaking down how you responded and what you learned. Where possible, try to highlight the positive outcome, insight, or skill you developed as a result of facing the setback. Good luck!

fingersarecrossed

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 11, 2024
    How do recruiters view our applications?
    e.g., eligibility first, then application answer then work experience? certain sections before deciding accept/reject an applic?

or

do they go straight to a specific section first or is it just a comprehensive overview of the whole application in chronological order?

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Would it look careless for me to mention Forage schemes in the work experience section if I haven't done the Forage of the actual firm that I am applying to? Thinking to not even mention the schemes...

Hiya @lawyersum :)

I don’t think it would look careless at all. It would be a great thing to highlight, even if you haven’t completed the specific Forage scheme for the firm you’re applying to. Forage schemes show that you've taken the initiative to gain a deeper understanding of what working in a commercial law environment involves. Regardless of the firm, they help demonstrate your commitment to developing commercial awareness, relevant skills and insights, regardless of the firm.

What’s important is how you present your experience. When including this in your work experience section, highlight the practical skills you gained. This could be specific research you did for certain tasks, or learning how to draft certain documents, and so forth. You can also use this entry as an opportunity to briefly/succinctly discuss how such exposure has deepened your interest in a career in commercial law. Again, all of this shows you're proactive in seeking opportunities to learn and grow, which is exactly the kind of attitude firms are looking for.

Well done on completing the internship and good luck with the application!

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    How do you guys pick yourself up when feeling defeated? Spending hours drafting applications to just be rejected after a random test.
    Do you guys have any tips? @Andrei Radu, how do you manage to not give up?
    Unfortunately there's nothing that will completely take away the frustration you are feeling at this moment. I empathize with what you're going through right now and I know it's a difficult spot to be in. When in the same situation, many times I have started wondering if perhaps I am simply not good enough for this and many times I thought I might be better off just giving up. And this wasn't just during my first cycle. In my second cycle, after I had doubled my efforts in applications and after working myself to my upper limits to get the best results in my Year 1 exams, my first outcomes were still straight rejections. I truly felt I didn't have much more to give and that if that wasn't good enough, nothing would.

However, I persisted, and ended up with three TC offers, a more successful application cycle I could have ever dreamed of. My copying strategies were a combination of two apparently opposite approaches. On the one hand, to deal with emotional spiraling and avoid negative feedback loops, I started taking more care of my mental health. After a rejection, instead of locking myself up in my room, I would force myself to go out to a pub, go to the gym, or have a nice meal. That in itself helped me a lot with calming down after the initial shock. Also, I generally started to spend more time with my friends. Instead of having the application cycle as this alienating experience, it became a communal activity for us. Besides making it a lot more fun, this meant rejection was no longer something I was experiencing all by myself. Having the constant support of other people going through the same things as I was made a huge difference.

On the other hand, I reacted by redoubling my unwavering commitment to never giving up. My thought process was that while I cannot control the ultimate outcome of my efforts, the one thing I have absolute control over is what attitude I take to the circumstances I found myself in. I decided the only attitude I would be proud of would be one of untiring perseverance. Thus, instead of each rejection eating away at my resolution, it in fact strengthened it. This way, I pushed myself to keep trying to do better and better and, most importantly, to keep moving forward. This is what ultimately led to my success.

My advice is therefore to take some time for self-care, spend time with your friends and know you are not in this alone, and in spite of everything to not give up! You've got this and your success will taste all the sweeter for all the setbacks you've had to go through!

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Hi everyone!

Can your work experience section be more or less the same when applying to the same firm's open day and vacation scheme? Thanks!

Howdy @KBanana :)

Yes, I think that's completely fine. The key is to ensure that your experiences are presented clearly and tailored to highlight relevant skills and insights for both types of applications. Good luck!

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    If you apply for virtual open days, is it worse or

oh no :( i didn't mention my grades as i thought they didnt care about grades
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. As they do not ask directly, I really doubt this would be grounds for rejecting you. My advice to include them originates in a "all other things being equal, you should" or "too err on the side of caution" type of thinking. Although I would advise including them in the future, I doubt this is a factor that will play a significant role in the application outcome.

Reactions: fingersarecrossed

fingersarecrossed

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 11, 2024
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. As they do not ask directly, I really doubt this would be grounds for rejecting you. My advice to include them originates in a "all other things being equal, you should" or "too err on the side of caution" type of thinking. Although I would advise including them in the future, I doubt this is a factor that will play a significant role in the application outcome.
    thank you! is it recommended we do a breakdown of all our modules for year 1, year 2 and year 3 in our CV or only 2nd & 3rd year as they count towards our final grade?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How do recruiters view our applications?
    e.g., eligibility first, then application answer then work experience? certain sections before deciding accept/reject an applic?

or

do they go straight to a specific section first or is it just a comprehensive overview of the whole application in chronological order?
    There is no set answer to this unfortunately!

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    Hi @Andrei Radu - do you have any thoughts? Thank you 😊
    Since they emailed you that they will not be progressing the application because the places had been filled rather than rejecting it, I would also say there is a good chance they have not actually reviewed it. However, the application answers might still have been saved in the system and although no one has read them, the similarity might still be flagged when you apply again. This might be an issue and I would therefore agree with @Jessica Booker's advice to try to change them in some way or another.

However, I do not think you need to completely rewrite the application. You might just rephrase some sections or change some of the examples you use to illustrate your points. To reduce the time it takes to do this, you could use some AI tools - I have heard they are especially good at reorganizing and reformulating points. I think if you were happy with the quality of the initial application, you do not need to achieve much more besides making just enough changes so that it doesn't look like you have copy and pasted it.

That said, if you are very short on time and/or this is not a firm you are that interested in, you could also just submit the initial application as is and run the risk of it becoming an issue if flagged.

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    thank you! is it recommended we do a breakdown of all our modules for year 1, year 2 and year 3 in our CV or only 2nd & 3rd year as they count towards our final grade?
    I'd say a full breakdown is ideal and if you want you can also include in brackets that year 1 doesn't count and then the weighing distribution between year 2 and year 3.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.