• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Filia

Jul 5, 2023
Hi @Filia :)

When writing cover letters, I think it’s generally a good rule to strike a balance between motivation and experience—both play a key role in explaining why you want to join the firm.

You could start by focusing on why you’re motivated to apply specifically to Curtis. In particular, highlight what draws you to the firm, such as their work in key sectors like energy or arbitration, their international presence, or their culture. Having briefly reviewed their profile on Chambers UK, Curtis seems to be particularly well-known for its investment treaty and commercial arbitration work. There might be other areas that stand out to you as well. Showing that you understand the firm’s unique capabilities and culture will help make your cover letter stand out.

I’d also recommend tying in your relevant experience. This will allow you to showcase how your background and skills align with the role of a trainee at Curtis. Highlight specific examples that demonstrate qualities the firm values—like strong analytical skills, experience working in smaller teams (given the small trainee intake), or exposure to international matters. The key is linking your experiences to why they make you a strong candidate for Curtis.

So, to answer your question: it’s both motivation and experience! Good luck with the application!
Thank you so much!! :))

zoobla20

Premium Member
Mar 15, 2023
@Jessica Booker I've applied to a particular firm twice and this will be my third application. I have been to their previous open days (2023 and 2022) but now am wondering whether it's still advantageous to apply to an open day again this year from the POV of mentioning it in my application? Quite time restricted because I'm currently doing SQE 1. Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I've applied to a particular firm twice and this will be my third application. I have been to their previous open days (2023 and 2022) but now am wondering whether it's still advantageous to apply to an open day again this year from the POV of mentioning it in my application? Quite time restricted because I'm currently doing SQE 1. Thank you!
I personally wouldn’t apply to an open day again if you have already done 1 or 2 with the firm already.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.