• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Tsitsipas10S

Aug 29, 2024
Does anyone think there is much point in delaying vacation scheme applications until the outcome of open day outcomes, even where the vacation scheme applications are assessed on a rolling basis? Would it make more sense to just apply to the vacation scheme first?

AS24

Distinguished Member
Apr 16, 2024
It is worth applying for a vacation scheme if the deadline is in 8 days and the firm reviews on a rolling basis? Should I wait for the firm to open the applications for the summer vacation scheme?

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
I found the maths tests stupid... I gave up on the test where you had to pick whether the equations were equal or if one was bigger. I just guessed, I didn't even bother looking at the numbers because which human could add up numbers on both sides in 5 seconds???!!!!
once I started seeing numbers in brackets I began just clicking frantically lol.

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
It is worth applying for a vacation scheme if the deadline is in 8 days and the firm reviews on a rolling basis? Should I wait for the firm to open the applications for the summer vacation scheme?
Personally I think even if you apply the night before you have a good chance as long as your application is really good. Some of my mates got vac schemes with firms where they applied literally an hour before the deadline, and the window was like 3 months. Of course applying like at least a month/few weeks in advance is ideal, but if you can still apply, definitely do it

Victor87

Distinguished Member
Apr 19, 2023
Hey guys, is there anyone who got past the application stage for Latham in the past and would like to share the results they got for their situational judgement test? i.e., the skills they excelled at. I think I got struck out in the past cycles based on this.

patternteddybear

Esteemed Member
Jan 4, 2023
Hi all, just a quick question in relation to CVs, I am unable to fit my work experience and skills in a one page CV. Is a 2 page CV alright or a one page CV is recommended. Thanks
my CV is two pages - think as long as it’s no more than two pages then it should be allowed. ideally, it should be one page but i’m the same as you and can’t fit all of the work experience into one page. just make sure that you use a good format, bullet point and quantify key achievements

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hi all, just a quick question in relation to CVs, I am unable to fit my work experience and skills in a one page CV. Is a 2 page CV alright or a one page CV is recommended. Thanks
I would agree with @patternteddybear that a one page CV is ideal, but that a two page one is also fine. Throughout my past application cycle, I always used a two paged CV in applications that required it and I progressed to the further stages multiple times. The only further caveat I'll add is to ensure you write in a very concise manner and avoid repetition. I believe the only issue a recruiter could take with a two paged CV is if they notice you took up that space unnecessarily by being too verbose without adding value to the description of your experiences and achievements.

Reactions: User5678

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
I agree with @NMA's response here - if you can still write a high-quality application, it is worth applying even when very close to the deadline. Last year, a firm which reviewed applications on a rolling basis invited me to an AC even though I submitted mine a few minutes before the deadline. That said, unless you have a particular reason for preferring a winter/spring vac scheme to a summer one at this specific firm, I also see no reason why you cannot write your application now and then wait a few more days/weeks to submit it on the day the summer vac scheme applications open. Different firms recruiting on a rolling basis place a different level of emphasis on how early you submit your applications - and it's difficult to ascertain how important this is for each firm. As such, if this does not impact your application writing schedule too much, and all other things being equal, I don't see why you shouldn't wait to apply for the summer vac scheme to maximize your chances of success.

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Silly Q but does anyone know of any firms with straightforward VS/OD applications (ie. inputting grades, work experience, WG test but no questions/cover letter)? Need a break from answering all these written questions lol
Linklaters is the only one that comes to mind, the others without questions usually just have automated VI.

The CC question was pretty straightforward and short.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.