• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Does anyone know what sort of things I should include in my cover letter for a TC app at Curtis? Is it motivational or experience or both?

Hi @Filia :)

When writing cover letters, I think it’s generally a good rule to strike a balance between motivation and experience—both play a key role in explaining why you want to join the firm.

You could start by focusing on why you’re motivated to apply specifically to Curtis. In particular, highlight what draws you to the firm, such as their work in key sectors like energy or arbitration, their international presence, or their culture. Having briefly reviewed their profile on Chambers UK, Curtis seems to be particularly well-known for its investment treaty and commercial arbitration work. There might be other areas that stand out to you as well. Showing that you understand the firm’s unique capabilities and culture will help make your cover letter stand out.

I’d also recommend tying in your relevant experience. This will allow you to showcase how your background and skills align with the role of a trainee at Curtis. Highlight specific examples that demonstrate qualities the firm values—like strong analytical skills, experience working in smaller teams (given the small trainee intake), or exposure to international matters. The key is linking your experiences to why they make you a strong candidate for Curtis.

So, to answer your question: it’s both motivation and experience! Good luck with the application!

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hi guys! Can you please advise me on how to approach this question

“Please use this space to explain your interest in pursuing a legal career at a city law firm, and your interest in X firm.”

How do I answer the city law firm part along with why law? Any advice on how to manage the word count?
Would appreciate yours thoughts too @Jessica Booker 😀

Hiya @legally.brown :)

You'll want to focus on sufficiently discussing both parts of the question: (1) why you want to pursue a legal career at a City law firm, along with (2) why you're interested in the particular firm.

When talking about why you want to work at a City law, ensure you get to the heart of the question - what is distinctive about a legal career at City firm? Here, you might want to think about London's place as a financial centre, and how working in the City (in close proximity to financial institutions) could lead to an exciting and fast-paced environment. You could also potentially discuss how London is an international centre - this can make it an exciting place to collaborate with multinational, international colleagues and clients. You are working in a culturally diverse place and may have access to more multi-jurisdictional deals when working in the City.

For why you want to join the firm, try to highlight what makes this particular firm stand out compared to others in the City. It could be a particular practice area they’re known for, their focus on a specific sector, or even the types of clients they work with. Mentioning something specific shows you’ve done your research and have a clear reason for wanting to join that firm over others. Try to avoid generic statements as far as possible, and focus on the aspects of the firm and your career that matter most to you.

It can feel like a lot of information to get through for one question. To manage word count, I'd recommend being concise with your points and making sure each sentence is purposeful.

Good luck with the application!

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
I'm really sorry to hear about all the Jones Day rejections today — as @SoonToBeTrainee rightly noted, it's incredibly frustrating when all you get is “it’s competitive,” because while that’s true, it doesn’t offer any clear path for improvement. I hope everyone gets some time for themselves this weekend to recharge and focus on things they enjoy. Rest is just as important as resilience, and you folks deserve it. If you've got any questions, post them on here and the Community Assistants will try our best to help 🫶

VMS

Esteemed Member
Oct 16, 2023
Hey @VMS, thanks for your question! I would say that attending an open day before applying for a VS at a given firm would always be advantageous as it gives you a deeper opportunity to see the firm, its practices, culture, etc. The things you learn at an open day are items you could always mention on a VS application. However, it is not a prerequisite to an offer.

If you want to find more about GDC, there are a few events running in collaboration with Legal Cheek & Aspiring Solicitors which you could sign up for!

Thank you! I'll go with one of those events instead if it's sooner than the Open Day :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.