TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

DarrenB

Premium Member
Oct 22, 2023
Hi, I have a paralegal interview scheduled with the IP team this Friday, and I was hoping to get some insights on the types of questions I might be asked. This will be my first paralegal interview, so I’m especially curious about what to expect, particularly any technical questions related to IP. While I completed a module on IP law in my second year of university, I don’t have any work experience in this area, and I’m a bit nervous about how to prepare.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm curious to see what @Jessica Booker thinks.
Hey, although I am not working in IP I have recently gone through an interview for a paralegal position. I think it's unlikely to get technical questions - at least I didn't. You should prepare for questions relating to your competency and the firm. Even if it's an interview for a paralegal role, it's likely they will ask why you want to work at the firm. I would also scan their website and know the recent things they worked on in case the interviewer asks you about this. Most of the work you will be doing is admin-related (calling the court, drafting emails and letters, chasing other firms for docs) - so prior knowledge would not be required.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
I spoke to a few firms todays.

White & Case stated they recruit in stages even though they’re published as rolling. Meaning they are giving VI invites out once they review your application it’s not done based on when you applied as all applications are dispensed between graduate recruitment. No decisions are given on a rolling basis so one won’t get a VS and another a VI at the same time.They have no limit on the amount they invite to VI or AC. They’re flexible with the numbers on the Vs even though it’s 25 they’ll take more if people are good.

Covington & Burling - I have seen loads of messages regarding this firm yet it literally states they’re non rolling… applications are still open and patience is a virtue. However, they have been screening applicants as they come in so I doubt the wait will be long post deadline. They invite 40 to AC and 15 on the scheme so very slim pickings. I was told they get roughly 700 applications.

Debevoise & Plimpton - Very strict on honesty on the application the graduate recruitment manager is very firm on how an application can be and said academics are nothing if you don’t show the values they’re looking for. not a fan of people approaching the firm and not having an idea of what the firm actually does. She highlighted this many times. Stating many do not know the firm, apply and it’s the most generic answer that could be used for any firm.

Milbank - care more about sports, roles of responsibility, experiences you’ve done. Also want you to have an interest in an area they practice in and why. They know many firms are like theirs so they want to know why them graduate recruitment emphasises that a lot.

V&E - apparently not doing that winter scheme thing they had open. Non rolling and said they rather you submit on the last day than the first day as they want good applications.

HSF - banged on about social mobility and how you should highlight this in an application if it’s applicable to you and why it’s important. They are known. As the best in this area and want you to know that too. They have neurodivergent graduate recruitment which was nice to see and how positive they spoke about this. They offer a range of adjustments for applicants and lawyers.

HFW - need to state why their sector as opposed to the normal corporate work. Use any modules or experience to highlight this as they are looking for people with an open mind you need to be interested in the firm and going in to a range of seats not just shipping

I spoke to a few more and have notes on them. I do not want to fill up the feed with this information if it is of no use to anyone.
Excellent work here - thanks a lot.

IneedaTCASAP

Standard Member
Oct 14, 2024
A group of prestigious New York firms including the likes of Sullivan Cromwell, Simpson Thacher, Cravath, Davis Polk and Paul, Weiss. While there is no exact list of group 'members', the term has mostly been used to refer to the firms who were recruiting heavily from Ivy league universities, where wearing white shoes was fashionable around the middle of the 20th century. These are also the firms that have been traditionally seen as the pinnacle of the US legal market and some argue that the 'white shoe' label is broadly analogous with the 'Magic Circle'. However, much like in the UK, the traditional hierarchy is also shifting in the US, as evidenced by the rise of the non-NY Latham and Kirkland.
Thank you @Andrei Radu

Are these firms notorious for taking students with top academics too? This is fine. Just interesting.

Reactions: Andrei Radu

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hi, I have a paralegal interview scheduled with the IP team this Friday, and I was hoping to get some insights on the types of questions I might be asked. This will be my first paralegal interview, so I’m especially curious about what to expect, particularly any technical questions related to IP. While I completed a module on IP law in my second year of university, I don’t have any work experience in this area, and I’m a bit nervous about how to prepare.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm curious to see what @Jessica Booker thinks.
Hi @searchingforaTC and first of all huge congratulations on the interview! While @Jessica Booker will definitely be able to tell you more, from what I know from my own and others' practice area-focused interview experiences, I thought I would list some of the questions that may come up:
  • What is the role of a paralegal in an IP team? What types of tasks, responsibilities and workstreams are allocated to a paralegal?
  • What are the different roles and responsibilities trainees, associates, and partners have in an IP team? How is a paralegal expected to assist them?
  • Why do you think your experiences and skills will enable you to successfully deliver a high-quality work product for the tasks you will be expected to complete?
  • Why do you want to work in IP specifically? What about it attracts you more than other practice areas, especially other advisory practices?
  • What about your IP module did you enjoy and dislike, and how did this experience inform your decision to apply for this paralegal experience.
  • How is the firm's IP practice different from that of its rivals? Are there any types of mandates (IP litigation/disputes, support on transactional work, independent advisory work) that the firm is particularly well-regarded for? Does the firm's IP client base have any particular characteristics? Does the firm have particular expertise in any sectors? Finally, how good is the firm's IP practice market recognition (Chambers/ Legal 500/other rankings and awards) when compared to its rivals?
  • Can you explain the concepts of a patent, trademark, copyright and other design rights? How are they different conceptually, and how are the basic legal rules associated with them different?
  • What are the basic rationales of IP law? What are the different rationales for each of the common types of IP right, and are the different legal treatments justified? Are there any reasonable considerations in favor of a relaxation of IP law rules, and if so, what is your view of the issue?
  • Are there any significant gray areas in contemporary IP law? If so, how do you think the uncertainty should be resolved?
  • Are there any recent developments in IP law or commercial news impacting the firm's IP practice that you have been following? If so, what are the implications?

Reactions: Jessica Booker

White & Case stated they recruit in stages even though they’re published as rolling. Meaning they are giving VI invites out once they review your application it’s not done based on when you applied as all applications are dispensed between graduate recruitment. No decisions are given on a rolling basis so one won’t get a VS and another a VI at the same time.They have no limit on the amount they invite to VI or AC. They’re flexible with the numbers on the Vs even though it’s 25 they’ll take more if people are good.

Covington & Burling - I have seen loads of messages regarding this firm yet it literally states they’re non rolling… applications are still open and patience is a virtue. However, they have been screening applicants as they come in so I doubt the wait will be long post deadline. They invite 40 to AC and 15 on the scheme so very slim pickings. I was told they get roughly 700 applications.

Debevoise & Plimpton - Very strict on honesty on the application the graduate recruitment manager is very firm on how an application can be and said academics are nothing if you don’t show the values they’re looking for. not a fan of people approaching the firm and not having an idea of what the firm actually does. She highlighted this many times. Stating many do not know the firm, apply and it’s the most generic answer that could be used for any firm.

Milbank - care more about sports, roles of responsibility, experiences you’ve done. Also want you to have an interest in an area they practice in and why. They know many firms are like theirs so they want to know why them graduate recruitment emphasises that a lot.

V&E - apparently not doing that winter scheme thing they had open. Non rolling and said they rather you submit on the last day than the first day as they want good applications.

HSF - banged on about social mobility and how you should highlight this in an application if it’s applicable to you and why it’s important. They are known. As the best in this area and want you to know that too. They have neurodivergent graduate recruitment which was nice to see and how positive they spoke about this. They offer a range of adjustments for applicants and lawyers.

HFW - need to state why their sector as opposed to the normal corporate work. Use any modules or experience to highlight this as they are looking for people with an open mind you need to be interested in the firm and going in to a range of seats not just shipping

I spoke to a few more and have notes on them. I do not want to fill up the feed with this information if it is of no use to anyone.
Thanks for this! Did you get a chance to speak to Lewis Silkin?

searchingforaTC

Standard Member
Premium Member
Jan 11, 2023
Hi @searchingforaTC and first of all huge congratulations on the interview! While @Jessica Booker will definitely be able to tell you more, from what I know from my own and others' practice area-focused interview experiences, I thought I would list some of the questions that may come up:
  • What is the role of a paralegal in an IP team? What types of tasks, responsibilities and workstreams are allocated to a paralegal?
  • What are the different roles and responsibilities trainees, associates, and partners have in an IP team? How is a paralegal expected to assist them?
  • Why do you think your experiences and skills will enable you to successfully deliver a high-quality work product for the tasks you will be expected to complete?
  • Why do you want to work in IP specifically? What about it attracts you more than other practice areas, especially other advisory practices?
  • What about your IP module did you enjoy and dislike, and how did this experience inform your decision to apply for this paralegal experience.
  • How is the firm's IP practice different from that of its rivals? Are there any types of mandates (IP litigation/disputes, support on transactional work, independent advisory work) that the firm is particularly well-regarded for? Does the firm's IP client base have any particular characteristics? Does the firm have particular expertise in any sectors? Finally, how good is the firm's IP practice market recognition (Chambers/ Legal 500/other rankings and awards) when compared to its rivals?
  • Can you explain the concepts of a patent, trademark, copyright and other design rights? How are they different conceptually, and how are the basic legal rules associated with them different?
  • What are the basic rationales of IP law? What are the different rationales for each of the common types of IP right, and are the different legal treatments justified? Are there any reasonable considerations in favor of a relaxation of IP law rules, and if so, what is your view of the issue?
  • Are there any significant gray areas in contemporary IP law? If so, how do you think the uncertainty should be resolved?
  • Are there any recent developments in IP law or commercial news impacting the firm's IP practice that you have been following? If so, what are the implications?
Thank you so much for your detailed response! These are incredibly specific and insightful questions, and I really appreciate you taking the time to share them. Knowing what to expect in terms of the types of technical questions that might come up has already made me feel much more prepared for the interview :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
To respond to this for @searchingforaTC, @Andrei Radu has given you some fantastic pointers to consider ahead of your interview.

What I would stress though is that the firm is interviewing you knowing that you do not have IP work experience nor a strong IP educational background. This clearly wasn't super important to them when selecting you for interview, and so I suspect although the themes Andrei identified could come up in your interview, you may find the interview is also competency led, focusing on your past experiences that demonstrate the skills that are necessary for the role. To work out which competencies may be assessed, look at the job description/job advert and how they frame the role's tasks and any skills/qualities they think are important for someone in the role to have.

Reactions: Andrei Radu

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Thank you @Andrei Radu

Are these firms notorious for taking students with top academics too? This is fine. Just interesting.
In the US the perception is that many of them they tend to be quite focused on academics - both in terms of the prestige of the university and GPA. In the UK I definitely do not think that is true to the same extent. I known many people with 2.1s offered TCs at top white shoe firms, including Skadden, Willkie and Milbank. While anecdotally some of the more conservative white shoe firms are academics-focused in the UK as well, unfortunately there is no reliable way of identifying them before applying.

Reactions: IneedaTCASAP

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Thank you so much for your detailed response! These are incredibly specific and insightful questions, and I really appreciate you taking the time to share them. Knowing what to expect in terms of the types of technical questions that might come up has already made me feel much more prepared for the interview :)
I'm so happy to hear that :)! Best of luck in the interview!!

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
when applying to firms that excel in multiple practice areas, is it a good idea to zoom in on one as a reason for why you are applying? I.e. with a small word count e.g 300 is it better to go more in depth on one area or try and write a more holistic answer?
Hi @tarty23! @Jessica Booker and @Ram Sabaratnam covered most of the relevant considerations for your question already, the only thing I would have to add is that in deciding which and how many practice areas you want to discuss, you should consider how much you can differentiate the firm's practice areas from other excellent practice areas of rival firms. For instance, if you apply for Kirkland, you could discuss the firm's excellence in PE, restructuring, funds, and leverage finance. However, while the firm has excellent credentials in all of them, the practice area in which there is the most sizable gap in competitiveness from its rivals is PE. As such, that is a better candidate for an unique selling point of the firm than the others, and you may therefore want to prioritize an individual in-depth analysis for it rather than briefly mentioning all four.

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023

EDIT - they have a bank of questions for the VI so once someone does a VI the next person to do it will get a different set of questions. They are apparently not the same as last year but still 15sec prep time. The whole process is virtual including AC

EDIT - virtual AC is held no in person tasks. Once graduate recruitment pick the best people they think for the AC the partners overlook this and they agree/disagree and narrow it down to 40 applicants. It is all screened by the recruitment partners and a bunch of partners too. Your name and info is blind but your grades, experiences, and application answers are not.

Did you manage to see Addleshaw, Bates Wells and Hogan Lovells?

safari3

Mar 28, 2024
Could anyone who has struggled with SJTs and managed to get successful at them offer any insights on how they did it?

This is my 4th application cycle and I typically pass the application stage when there is no SJT involved, but whenever there is an SJT at any stage of the process, I always get rejected. I paid for many practice tests and usually score between 80-90% (selecting them based on the specific providers used by each firm). However, when it comes to the real tests I always fail, even though I account for the different values each firm has. I have not passed a single SJT in the past 3 years, and at this point, I do not know what I am doing wrong.

I know I should instead focus on firms that do not have an SJT in their recruitment process, but many of them do. It's really frustrating that I will have to overlook firms I have a genuine interest in due to this weakness of mine that, despite my efforts, I can't seem to improve...

My only remaining theory is that I choose too many 'extreme' options. For example, if a statement says, 'I proactively ask for feedback,’ I’ll pick ‘strongly agree’ because that’s true to me. I read somewhere that test providers could flag individuals who choose these extreme options too often as giving false answers/ being unrealistic - could this be the issue?

I would greatly appreciate any insights on this - thank you!
@lawyersum

Hi, it doesn't seem like anyone else has replied to this :(

As someone who has a pretty high success rate with SJTs (let's hope I don't jinx), this is what I do:

- Do not answer honestly. This is the worst piece of guidance you could follow. SJTs are meant to be hard, you are meant to think about your answer in relation to the competencies and values of the firm you are applying to. This requires strategy, critical thinking and application. Thankfully, most situational judgement tests are untimed, so you have the time to really sit and think about the best option. If you really care about the firm, you will put in the effort.

- Following from above, there have often been times where I have personally disagreed with the answer I have given, but am confident that it is exactly what the firm is looking for having matched the options against the firm's competencies. My second tip is to have these values / competencies written out for you to easily refer to throughout the test, as well as the definitions. Knowing what each competency / value actually means is so important. For example, there is a difference between being a collaborator and being a team player. Search up each of the terms, write a definition and even ask chat gpt how to demonstrate the competency. This will help you to distinguish between the nuances of each competency / value so that you are choosing the best suited option (may also help when determining whether an extreme option is appropriate).

- Lastly, act on feedback. For example, I bombed the SJT of the first firm that I applied to. The next year, I read through the feedback report, identified the exact areas I needed to work on and used them as guidance for this years application, where I scored much higher on every single category.

SJTs are something that you need to prepare well for and be smart about. Of course what works for me may not work for you, but hopefully this helps😊

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
@lawyersum

Hi, it doesn't seem like anyone else has replied to this :(

As someone who has a pretty high success rate with SJTs (let's hope I don't jinx), this is what I do:

- Do not answer honestly. This is the worst piece of guidance you could follow. SJTs are meant to be hard, you are meant to think about your answer in relation to the competencies and values of the firm you are applying to. This requires strategy, critical thinking and application. Thankfully, most situational judgement tests are untimed, so you have the time to really sit and think about the best option. If you really care about the firm, you will put in the effort.

- Following from above, there have often been times where I have personally disagreed with the answer I have given, but am confident that it is exactly what the firm is looking for having matched the options against the firm's competencies. My second tip is to have these values / competencies written out for you to easily refer to throughout the test, as well as the definitions. Knowing what each competency / value actually means is so important. For example, there is a difference between being a collaborator and being a team player. Search up each of the terms, write a definition and even ask chat gpt how to demonstrate the competency. This will help you to distinguish between the nuances of each competency / value so that you are choosing the best suited option (may also help when determining whether an extreme option is appropriate).

- Lastly, act on feedback. For example, I bombed the SJT of the first firm that I applied to. The next year, I read through the feedback report, identified the exact areas I needed to work on and used them as guidance for this years application, where I scored much higher on every single category.

SJTs are something that you need to prepare well for and be smart about. Of course what works for me may not work for you, but hopefully this helps😊
Hi @safari3 - thank you so much for these comprehensive tips! Really appreciate it :) Will be a journey but hopefully I’ll be able to get better

• 🤝
Reactions: safari3

l789

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2020

EDIT - they have a bank of questions for the VI so once someone does a VI the next person to do it will get a different set of questions. They are apparently not the same as last year but still 15sec prep time. The whole process is virtual including AC

EDIT - virtual AC is held no in person tasks. Once graduate recruitment pick the best people they think for the AC the partners overlook this and they agree/disagree and narrow it down to 40 applicants. It is all screened by the recruitment partners and a bunch of partners too. Your name and info is blind but your grades, experiences, and application answers are not.

Did you speak to Skadden by any chance?

I think I’ve absolutley given up with some US firms like Akin and also probably not going to bother with Davis Polk.

Neither firms have any grad rec events outside Davis polks VERY competitive open day and Akin who advertised open days in partnership with Aspiring solicitors and have yet to publish any information regarding applications for it on either website (even though Akins open day is literally next week)

Atleast with white&case they have a virtual series events on their practice areas and also Molly from grad rec posted of another virtual trainee insider event on LinkedIn today.

It just feels near impossible to apply to firms without knowledge beyond their website and legal info pages. Given how ridiculously competitive it’s now getting, I feel ridiculous sending anything other than an extremely tailored application- sprinkled with insights I’ve learned from interactions from those firms ( and then relating it back to me and why it’s important to me and any further personal links)

Idk after seeing all the advertised events with aspiring solicitors on Akins website which are next week and yet there’s no way to apply through AS website or Akins, I just feel the need to rant. Aspiring solicitors is supposedly a platform to help break the barriers to legal profession- so this Akin situation is a complete contradiction.

On second thoughts- I reckon the akin events are exclusively for those on an AS programme and not generally applicable to Aspiring solicitors members as a whole

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.