TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

KSV

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2019
Hiya @KSV

So great you're applying to Covington - they're a great firm 🥳

While it wouldn't necessarily be wrong to include a section on why you want to pursue commercial law, I’d recommend focusing directly on the question: why Covington, and how you see yourself contributing to the firm’s success. You can still show your commercial awareness by discussing Covington’s specific work and the commercial or legal impact it has in areas you’re interested in.

By addressing the question head-on, you’ll be able to make better use of the word count to highlight your knowledge of the firm. For example, you could mention particular cases, deals, or practice areas that resonate with you and explain why you find them interesting or significant. This will also give you the chance to do what the question is asking you to do - show how your skills, experiences, and interests align with the firm’s work and culture.

Rather than try to give an answer to why commercial law in this question, you can incorporate your understanding of Covington's clients, sectoral expertise, and market position to demonstrate your commerciality. It’s about weaving that insight into your reasons for wanting to join Covington specifically.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your application!
This is so helpful - thanks Ram :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

searchingforaTC

Standard Member
Premium Member
Jan 11, 2023
Hi, I have a paralegal interview scheduled with the IP team this Friday, and I was hoping to get some insights on the types of questions I might be asked. This will be my first paralegal interview, so I’m especially curious about what to expect, particularly any technical questions related to IP. While I completed a module on IP law in my second year of university, I don’t have any work experience in this area, and I’m a bit nervous about how to prepare.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm curious to see what @Jessica Booker thinks.

Last edited:

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Sorry to hear.
What is white shoe firms?
A group of prestigious New York firms including the likes of Sullivan Cromwell, Simpson Thacher, Cravath, Davis Polk and Paul, Weiss. While there is no exact list of group 'members', the term has mostly been used to refer to the firms who were recruiting heavily from Ivy league universities, where wearing white shoes was fashionable around the middle of the 20th century. These are also the firms that have been traditionally seen as the pinnacle of the US legal market and some argue that the 'white shoe' label is broadly analogous with the 'Magic Circle'. However, much like in the UK, the traditional hierarchy is also shifting in the US, as evidenced by the rise of the non-NY Latham and Kirkland.

IneedaTCASAP

Standard Member
Oct 14, 2024
I spoke to a few firms todays.

White & Case stated they recruit in stages even though they’re published as rolling. Meaning they are giving VI invites out once they review your application it’s not done based on when you applied as all applications are dispensed between graduate recruitment. No decisions are given on a rolling basis so one won’t get a VS and another a VI at the same time.They have no limit on the amount they invite to VI or AC. They’re flexible with the numbers on the Vs even though it’s 25 they’ll take more if people are good.
EDIT - they have a bank of questions for the VI so once someone does a VI the next person to do it will get a different set of questions. They are apparently not the same as last year but still 15sec prep time. The whole process is virtual including AC

Covington & Burling - I have seen loads of messages regarding this firm yet it literally states they’re non rolling… applications are still open and patience is a virtue. However, they have been screening applicants as they come in so I doubt the wait will be long post deadline. They invite 40 to AC and 15 on the scheme so very slim pickings. I was told they get roughly 700 applications.
EDIT - virtual AC is held no in person tasks. Once graduate recruitment pick the best people they think for the AC the partners overlook this and they agree/disagree and narrow it down to 40 applicants. It is all screened by the recruitment partners and a bunch of partners too. Your name and info is blind but your grades, experiences, and application answers are not.

Debevoise & Plimpton - Very strict on honesty on the application the graduate recruitment manager is very firm on how an application can be and said academics are nothing if you don’t show the values they’re looking for. not a fan of people approaching the firm and not having an idea of what the firm actually does. She highlighted this many times. Stating many do not know the firm, apply and it’s the most generic answer that could be used for any firm.

Milbank - care more about sports, roles of responsibility, experiences you’ve done. Also want you to have an interest in an area they practice in and why. They know many firms are like theirs so they want to know why them graduate recruitment emphasises that a lot.

V&E - apparently not doing that winter scheme thing they had open. Non rolling and said they rather you submit on the last day than the first day as they want good applications.

HSF - banged on about social mobility and how you should highlight this in an application if it’s applicable to you and why it’s important. They are known. As the best in this area and want you to know that too. They have neurodivergent graduate recruitment which was nice to see and how positive they spoke about this. They offer a range of adjustments for applicants and lawyers.

HFW - need to state why their sector as opposed to the normal corporate work. Use any modules or experience to highlight this as they are looking for people with an open mind you need to be interested in the firm and going in to a range of seats not just shipping

I spoke to a few more and have notes on them. I do not want to fill up the feed with this information if it is of no use to anyone.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.