Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If a firm has not specified in the undergraduate degree module section that you should only include modules you have completed i.e. it says to include all modules you have studied in your course, should I include modules that I am currently studying but do not have a grade for?
yes you can do this as long as you can make it clear the module won’t conclude until sometime in this academic year and won’t have a grade until then.

seaweed.bond

Standard Member
Sep 5, 2024
Hi @Jessica Booker ,

If you mention a deal in your application, would you be expected to mention it again during an assessment center interview e.g. in a 'why this firm' question and expand on why it caught your attention?

I was also wondering if, in such an interview, you could mention a deal that you didn't mention in your application.

Thank you :)

GV

Dec 4, 2023
I’m not sure. Have you taken it recently? If so how lol. Haven’t heard back yet on when I’m supposed to take the test
I completed it a few days ago, I wasn’t sure of the deadline either so just completed it. It provides a scenario then asks you 3 questions. It’s broken down in the sections you’re assessed with the WG. You get 3 minutes for each. It’s 24 questions in total but broken into 8 parts (3 questions each) if that makes sense

hanz123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 16, 2022
I completed it a few days ago, I wasn’t sure of the deadline either so just completed it. It provides a scenario then asks you 3 questions. It’s broken down in the sections you’re assessed with the WG. You get 3 minutes for each. It’s 24 questions in total but broken into 8 parts (3 questions each) if that makes sense
How were the questions like and did you get through it all?

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
If you could choose a career other than law, what would you choose? - I'm not really sure how to best answer this question. I'm not sure if it's best to think of something commercial or something genuinely outside of the commercial bubble? What is the best way to approach this question? it's thrown me off admittedly !
While there is no right or wrong answer to this question and while what you can discuss will depend significantly on your interests and experiences, it seems to me that it would be optimal if you can discuss a genuine interest in a job within the commercial sphere. Essentially, I believe the point of this question is to test whether your underlying motivations regarding your career options truly fit commercial law. If for instance you were to say you would have become an art painter if not a lawyer, the graduate recruitment department might be naturally suspicious as to whether your character and aspirations are truly a great fit for being a commercial solicitor. Whilst it is of course possible to have an interest in both fields simultaneously, it might in practice be difficult to write an answer which will not leave recruiters unpersuaded that your true passion lies outside of the work you would be doing for the firm.

For this reason, I think the best answer to this question is to focus on a career path which (i) you think you could actually have had an interest in; and (ii) involves a job experience which has as many similarities as possible to the experience of commercial solicitor. Here, consulting or investment banking seem to me to have lots of common features: you work closely with the same clients you would as a commercial lawyer, you are in an advisory position as well, you need to be very commercially aware, you work across many industries on cross-border transactions etc. Of course, there's many other roles you could choose to discuss besides these two - as long as there's still a substantial overlap between the characteristics of the job you discuss and the practice of a commercial solicitor.

Reactions: manifestingthetc

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
If a firm has not specified in the undergraduate degree module section that you should only include modules you have completed i.e. it says to include all modules you have studied in your course, should I include modules that I am currently studying but do not have a grade for?
@Jessica Booker might be able to tell you more about this, but my general advice on such issues is to err on the side of caution and to include more rather than less information. Thus, I would include current modules as well and perhaps if possible flag that I have not received any grades yet.

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
How did you take the test? I haven’t received a link to take it. I was only told that after the 4th my app from last cycle would roll on to this one meaning I’m eligible to take the CRT.

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
@Jessica Booker

For the Debevoise & Plimpton application, they ask: 'Please indicate if there are any preferred practice areas that interest you.' (250 words). Is there any chance you could clarify whether you think they're asking for a 200-250 word answer about my preferred practice areas and why and how I've shown this interest, or if they're just wanting me to write down three practice areas?

Thank you for your time!
Hi @VMS. I completely agree with @Jessica Booker's response that there is no set number of practice areas you have to choose and that what is important is how well can you demonstrate your interest. If you have a strong interest in one single area and you feel you can go into a lot of depth about it, you can use the entire 250 words for it. If your interests are more varied, there's no issue with speaking about three or four practice areas either, as long as you are content with the depth of your explanation.

I also agree with another member's response, which was to focus on the firm's international disputes practice - Debevoise is particularly well known for it and it is the biggest team in the office. It also really distinguishes the firm from the more transactional-focused US rivals.

As to how you can demonstrate such an interest, I would try to focus on the contentious nature of the proceedings and/or an enjoyment of working with black letter law. Thus, I would maybe link it with any debating/mooting/other advocacy experiences I had for the contentious element, and any legal work experience or academic experience for the black letter law element. Furthermore, I would perhaps try to speak about my interest in the specific areas of disputes Debevoise' London office is particularly well-recognized in: so anything from international normal commercial and corporate litigation to arbitration covering construction, investor-state and commercial arbitration.

However, as said before, you can also discuss other practice areas. Besides disputes, I know Debevoise also focuses on fund formation and leverage finance mandates, so perhaps those could also be good choices.

Reactions: NJS

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Is it worth it to relate my work experience to stephenson and harwood as part of my application if there is also motivational question where I can talk about the firm.
I would say probably not, unless there is a very clear and direct link between some aspect of your work experiences and a unique selling point of the firm. I think many candidates make mistakes here in trying to create such links where none exist, so I think it is completely fine if none of your work experience section answers make any references to the firm.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.