TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

ellabasing

Premium Member
Dec 27, 2023
I just put degree and the grade graduated with. I think the only way you could put your modules would be to put them as separate qualifications which doesn't seem correct.

Did you find the form suspiciously short? Also I couldn't see where to select Spring or Summer, just a location for their Placement Scheme.
Yes, it seems like the only question is "Why AG?" and also yes, I didn't see anywhere about selecting Spring vs Summer... Maybe email grad recruitment?

ellabasing

Premium Member
Dec 27, 2023
For the Meet Cooley events, would I be at a disadvantage to opt for the virtual option rather than the in-person? My main reason for going is to connect more with the firm and be able to have that in my application to show motivation but does opting for the virtual event kind of defeat that objective?

lawstudent2002

Standard Member
Dec 10, 2022
Quick question , hope someone can help x . So basically , I applied for a winter vac scheme at a firm and they are pleased to progress me to the next stage . However , the spaces for the winter vac scheme interviews and assessment centers are full as the application process has been rolling , and they offered to push me onto the spring or summer scheme . But I start my graduate job ( not in law) in January and we are advised not to take annual leave in the first 3-6 months ( which would be 10 whole days!) . They gave me 2 options , to either transfer the application to the spring/summer scheme or close my application. I really really like the firm but don't know what to do . Should I beg ( obviously exaggerating lol) for the winter and honestly explain that i cant do summer or spring OR should I still progress to the next stage ( knowing I cant attend) or should I just call it a day . Thanks !! Sorry its kinda long ...

Lastseasonwonder

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
I just put degree and the grade graduated with. I think the only way you could put your modules would be to put them as separate qualifications which doesn't seem correct.

Did you find the form suspiciously short? Also I couldn't see where to select Spring or Summer, just a location for their Placement Scheme.
Why short - are there no application questions? What does AG's application look like?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
i still haven't got it. i emailed the firm thrice now, I sent the last one today. I also contacted the grad rec on LinkedIn but idk I am running out of ideas @Jessica Booker
This is incredibly frustrating but I don't think there is anything else you can do now apart from try and call them rather than rely on email. It maybe worthwhile just waiting though - you have emailed three times in the equivalent of two working days. Unfortunately you will need to be patient - firm's don't have the capacity to respond to emails immediately and I would typically wait more than a couple of days before emailing again.

OliverTwist

Standard Member
Sep 24, 2023
I'm stuck on this Watson Glaser practice question, I will not say what the correct answer is in the post, but what do people think the answer to this is, out of curiosity? As, I'm not sure whether I overthink these, but I don't understand the reasoning as to why the correct answer is indeed the answer:

Inference: On average, the older children within a school year tend to do better than those whose birthdays are later in the year. This effect is most notable in younger children but continues to an extent throughout the education system. Recent research also shows that children who were older than their classmates are overrepresented in top universities and obtain higher-paying jobs.

Proposed Inference: More socially mature children do better in school.

Is this True, Probably True, Insufficient Data, Probably False, or False?

erderlylars

Distinguished Member
Nov 12, 2023
I'm stuck on this Watson Glaser practice question, I will not say what the correct answer is in the post, but what do people think the answer to this is, out of curiosity? As, I'm not sure whether I overthink these, but I don't understand the reasoning as to why the correct answer is indeed the answer:

Inference: On average, the older children within a school year tend to do better than those whose birthdays are later in the year. This effect is most notable in younger children but continues to an extent throughout the education system. Recent research also shows that children who were older than their classmates are overrepresented in top universities and obtain higher-paying jobs.

I would have guessed insufficient data, but I'm not sure? I guess the reason would be that it doesn't mention anything about socially mature just about them being older? But could be totally wrong lol

Reactions: OliverTwist

AS24

Distinguished Member
Apr 16, 2024
Hi @Jessica Booker and @Andrei Radu,

I am currently amending my CMS application, one of the questions asks 'Describe a specific instance where you have utilised artificial intelligence (AI) or other technologies in your work or studies. How have these tools enhanced your personal development?'

I mentioned two work examples, which are fine but I would like to diversify my answer. I work full-time so I do not have any examples from when I studied because it was a while ago. However, in my free time, I am completing corporate finance online classes from Yale and Bocconi, can I write about this or not?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For the Meet Cooley events, would I be at a disadvantage to opt for the virtual option rather than the in-person? My main reason for going is to connect more with the firm and be able to have that in my application to show motivation but does opting for the virtual event kind of defeat that objective?
I don't think the firm would run a virtual programme if they felt candidates would be disadvantaged compared to in-person attendees, so I wouldn't worry about this.

Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

sammm10101

Star Member
Aug 15, 2024

I would also say insufficient data, as there is no implication that social maturity and age-based maturity are connected in the statement, but also not 100% sure

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.