• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliciawash

Jul 23, 2024
quick question:

my first year overall was a 2:1. in my second year, I got a solid 2:1 in all modules except in 1 module (human rights law) where I failed and got a 32%. This brought my second year overall to a 58% (borderline 2:1). I had extenuating circumstances: my dad fell ill and I was taking university counselling for some personal issues.

I still consider myself to be on track for a 2:1 degree as my degree will be an average of my second and third year results so I only need a 62% or above next year to get a 2:1. Should I bother applying to vac schemes at all in the upcoming cycle ?

Any input would be appreciated! @Jessica Booker

Last edited:

jhboub

Standard Member
  • Feb 10, 2024
    I was rejected post VS at a national firm. Disappointed, but not surprised. Trying not to overanalyse everything I did. I'm thinking of applying to more training contracts this year. Since I have a VS, is it advisable to apply for VS again?

• 🤝
    Reactions: Aga123+

amy2002

Mar 14, 2024
    I was rejected post VS at a national firm. Disappointed, but not surprised. Trying not to overanalyse everything I did. I'm thinking of applying to more training contracts this year. Since I have a VS, is it advisable to apply for VS again?
    Sorry to hear that :(

Why would you say you weren't surprised? Have you had specific feedback at this stage? As long as you use this experience as a learning curve, it can only be beneficial in the long run.

To answer your question, there's nothing wrong with applying for VSs again, especially if you're still at uni. If you're a graduate, now you have a VS on the CV, it may make more sense to apply for TCs because you have the legal work experience.

mattyh23

Mar 5, 2024
    I had my TC interview as part of my VS today, and it was completely unlike anything I expected.

It was rather short and the interviewers made it more conversational and informal. I mentioned I worked full-time and they wanted me to explain what I did on a day-to-day basis, while they also asked where I did my year abroad and how I found that. They asked me why the firm and then one competency. That was it.

At one point, I asked one of the Partners a piece of advice they'd give me if they were back in my position, and one of them pulled out a drawing their daughter had done for them earlier to make their point to enjoy it and don't let work consume you.

In a way I felt this was likely a good sign of rapport, but it's thrown me because it was just so unlike any interview I've done. Am I overthinking this @Jessica Booker?

holz567

Star Member
    Feb 18, 2024
    I’ve been reading a few articles on how to do well in TC interviews, and one of the biggest pieces of advice I’ve seen is to “build rapport with your interviewer”.

Given interviews are usually rather brief and one sided, how do you do this effectively? Is it small things like eye contact, asking them questions and generally appearing positive and engaged? Or is there more to it?

I don’t know if you have any overall thoughts @Jessica Booker?

Reactions: A worried graduate

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
    Mar 25, 2024
    quick question:

my first year overall was a 2:1. in my second year, I got a solid 2:1 in all modules except in 1 module (human rights law) where I failed and got a 32%. This brought my second year overall to a 58% (borderline 2:1). I had extenuating circumstances: my dad fell ill and I was taking university counselling for some personal issues.

I still consider myself to be on track for a 2:1 degree as my degree will be an average of my second and third year results so I only need a 62% or above next year to get a 2:1. Should I bother applying to vac schemes at all in the upcoming cycle ?

Any input would be appreciated! @Jessica Booker
    That is a pretty damn strong mitigating circumstance and only one module.

Don’t worry about it. You could also resit that bad module and try to gain some points back.

jhboub

Standard Member
  • Feb 10, 2024
    Sorry to hear that :(

Why would you say you weren't surprised? Have you had specific feedback at this stage? As long as you use this experience as a learning curve, it can only be beneficial in the long run.

To answer your question, there's nothing wrong with applying for VSs again, especially if you're still at uni. If you're a graduate, now you have a VS on the CV, it may make more sense to apply for TCs because you have the legal work experience.
    Hi, thanks for replying.

I'm not surprised because although they say the placement itself wasn't assessed, one of the interviewers had talked to us beforehand, and had been in the office too. So I had no doubt they had an initial first impression of us. The interview didn't go too well - it ended early, and I didn't go into details with my answers as I did when I practised at home. no feedback yet, am waiting for a response. It's a shame of course because it's the only vs i got!

OK, thank you!

amy2002

Mar 14, 2024
    Rejected for Ropes TC post VS.
    I’m so sorry to hear that but keep in mind you now have a VS from an elite law firm on your CV, which is like gold dust for future applications.

Out of interest, how many were on the scheme and how many got TCs? I know they do a spring scheme too don’t they?

I think with US firms, they generally take on far more VSers than there are TCs, so it’s far more difficult to secure one, especially when everyone is an exceptional candidate. You’ve done amazingly.

Pheebs22

Mar 16, 2024
    I completed a VS with a firm a few weeks back, and we were told that there was no competition for TCs and all of us could get one.

I heard back yesterday that I was unsuccessful in converting the scheme. I’m yet to have feedback but we had a group chat and I’ve found out that everyone but me was made an offer. That’s 12 out of the 13 of us bar me. I just feel completely dejected and humiliated now knowing that I was the only one they thought wasn’t good enough.

I felt it went relatively well. I was nervous in the final interview but not hugely so. This just feels like such a setback and I’m crushed. It’s tinged with embarrassment now too, which I know shouldn’t be the case.

Anyone got any advice?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I completed a VS with a firm a few weeks back, and we were told that there was no competition for TCs and all of us could get one.

I heard back yesterday that I was unsuccessful in converting the scheme. I’m yet to have feedback but we had a group chat and I’ve found out that everyone but me was made an offer. That’s 12 out of the 13 of us bar me. I just feel completely dejected and humiliated now knowing that I was the only one they thought wasn’t good enough.

I felt it went relatively well. I was nervous in the final interview but not hugely so. This just feels like such a setback and I’m crushed. It’s tinged with embarrassment now too, which I know shouldn’t be the case.

Anyone got any advice?
    I’d wait for the feedback in the first instance. It may easily be the case that you were “good enough” but maybe you and the firm just weren’t the right combination.

When you get the feedback you will get more context and will be able to analysis the reasons why at that point. Until then, it’s too easy to assume the worst as to why this is the case.

Remember there will be other opportunities and potentially better fit opportunities for you and your future career.

Reactions: jhboub and AlexJ

lawstudent2003

Oct 26, 2023
    Hi everyone! I’ll be starting the SQE with BPP this September. My firm have asked me if I’d prefer to study online or on campus. Was just wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these study modes and how they found it? Also was wondering how many contact days you have and if these are full 9-5 days or if you just go for a couple of hours?
    Also if anyone knows is there is any chance of me doing the SQE hybrid? So doing some days at campus and some days online? Would be grateful for any insight or advice :)

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Hi everyone! I’ll be starting the SQE with BPP this September. My firm have asked me if I’d prefer to study online or on campus. Was just wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these study modes and how they found it? Also was wondering how many contact days you have and if these are full 9-5 days or if you just go for a couple of hours?
    Also if anyone knows is there is any chance of me doing the SQE hybrid? So doing some days at campus and some days online? Would be grateful for any insight or advice :)
    I doubt hybrid would be an option. The course is 3 days a week for 5 classes, they tried to make it 3 consecutive days. I liked going in and meeting people, but it would depend on who you get in your class. We had some online classes as replacements and the interactive elements worked better in person, although if you are online all the time I imagine you get used to it.

Pheebs22

Mar 16, 2024
    I’d wait for the feedback in the first instance. It may easily be the case that you were “good enough” but maybe you and the firm just weren’t the right combination.

When you get the feedback you will get more context and will be able to analysis the reasons why at that point. Until then, it’s too easy to assume the worst as to why this is the case.

Remember there will be other opportunities and potentially better fit opportunities for you and your future career.
    Thank you Jessica, that’s really appreciated.

The firm felt like the right fit, it’s just more painful because I feel as if I’ve been singled out. If there was even one other person who failed to convert I don’t think it would be as bad, it’s more that there’s only me :(

I’ll await the feedback call and try to bear that in mind.

• 🤝
    Reactions: lawyerdreams and jhboub

lawstudent2003

Oct 26, 2023
    I doubt hybrid would be an option. The course is 3 days a week for 5 classes, they tried to make it 3 consecutive days. I liked going in and meeting people, but it would depend on who you get in your class. We had some online classes as replacements and the interactive elements worked better in person, although if you are online all the time I imagine you get used to it.
    Thanks so much @AlexJ. I don’t suppose if you know if the online learning is exactly the same as the live classes? I.e do they just essentially stream the live classes to those who opt for online?

mattyh23

Mar 5, 2024
    This will likely be a "how long is a piece of string" kind of question, but if interviews are more conversational and less structured, is that a positive sign? I had an interview and there was barely any structure to it, and I've never had that before. Is that a good sign @Jessica Booker?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This will likely be a "how long is a piece of string" kind of question, but if interviews are more conversational and less structured, is that a positive sign? I had an interview and there was barely any structure to it, and I've never had that before. Is that a good sign @Jessica Booker?
    There is no answer to this unfortunately. It can be a good thing, it can not be a good thing. It isn’t really one of those things that can say the outcome will be a certain way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.