• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyh23

Mar 5, 2024
There is no answer to this unfortunately. It can be a good thing, it can not be a good thing. It isn’t really one of those things that can say the outcome will be a certain way.
Is it usually more just down to an interviewer's personal preference and steer with how they want the interview to go? Are they told to ask certain questions (at the Partner interview stage) or is it very much up to them to dictate the flow of the interview? For instance, I would say a good 10 minutes of mine was just me explaining what I did in my job (I work in quite a niche area of finance), so I don't really know what they take from that because I didn't give any skills as such just what I did.

WillSweeee01

Jul 24, 2024
Hi all, I’m a long-term lurker on here but have been stressed about an interview I had recently and wanted some guidance.

I was asked by an interviewer to tell me about a time I showed resilience. The example I give for this is when I had to resit my first year of university and how difficult it was. The reason for this was because my mum was going through a lot of health problems, which affected my motivation. I mentioned this, and the interviewer said “sorry about your mum”.

I feel it almost sounds like a sob story and I shouldn’t have mentioned it. Is it generally a mistake to veer into personal stories like this or is it the opposite and makes yourself seem more “real”?

amy2002

Mar 14, 2024
Hi all, I’m a long-term lurker on here but have been stressed about an interview I had recently and wanted some guidance.

I was asked by an interviewer to tell me about a time I showed resilience. The example I give for this is when I had to resit my first year of university and how difficult it was. The reason for this was because my mum was going through a lot of health problems, which affected my motivation. I mentioned this, and the interviewer said “sorry about your mum”.

I feel it almost sounds like a sob story and I shouldn’t have mentioned it. Is it generally a mistake to veer into personal stories like this or is it the opposite and makes yourself seem more “real”?
I wouldn’t label that a “sob story” at all, and I think you’re being overly critical of your performance.

You provided context to the situation and why you resat, which is effective. You didn’t then spiral into how hard your life has been; it sounds like a tiny part of a bigger question. The fact that the interviewer offered their condolences is likely a positive too. If anything, it sounds like you developed a rapport.

I wouldn’t overthink it :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it usually more just down to an interviewer's personal preference and steer with how they want the interview to go? Are they told to ask certain questions (at the Partner interview stage) or is it very much up to them to dictate the flow of the interview? For instance, I would say a good 10 minutes of mine was just me explaining what I did in my job (I work in quite a niche area of finance), so I don't really know what they take from that because I didn't give any skills as such just what I did.
Again, there is no set answer to this. Sometimes there’s a script of interview questions, sometimes they are just told to ensure they gather certain evidence and have the freedom to ask questions that would hopefully cover those aspects.

WillSweeee01

Jul 24, 2024
I wouldn’t label that a “sob story” at all, and I think you’re being overly critical of your performance.

You provided context to the situation and why you resat, which is effective. You didn’t then spiral into how hard your life has been; it sounds like a tiny part of a bigger question. The fact that the interviewer offered their condolences is likely a positive too. If anything, it sounds like you developed a rapport.

Thank you, that’s helpful :)

For future reference though, would you recommend avoiding personal things like that in an interview or is it fine in the manner I approached it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

It’s not really about whether it is a personal set of circumstances or not. I have seen it work very well on many occasions, but also seen it not work well on others. It’s more about how you present the story - if it’s more focusing on the negative circumstances rather than your skill set/attitude to overcome the circumstances, it won’t be as strong.

In these type of situations, it’s best to focus on the positives of the challenging situation - the learning, the development, the outcome of getting through it.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

dantep99

Jul 20, 2024
When a firm says that a performance on a VS will be looked at “holistically”, what exactly is meant by that?

Is it that if you’ve bombed in something, it won’t necessarily be fatal to your chances? Or just everything is taken into consideration and you need to perform well consistently?

CP2000

Star Member
Mar 4, 2024

Almost the exact same thing happened to me recently!! They thanked me for being so open and honest, and I got through to the next stage 😊 I wouldn’t worry!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When a firm says that a performance on a VS will be looked at “holistically”, what exactly is meant by that?

Is it that if you’ve bombed in something, it won’t necessarily be fatal to your chances? Or just everything is taken into consideration and you need to perform well consistently?
I wouldn’t say you could “bomb” something but you could underperform slightly.

Ultimately when they say they will look at things holistically, they will weigh up various bits of evidence and consider that collectively. That does allow slightly lower performance in one assessment to potentially be balanced out by a strong performance in the same competency/skill elsewhere.

Reactions: dantep99

WillSweeee01

Jul 24, 2024
It’s not really about whether it is a personal set of circumstances or not. I have seen it work very well on many occasions, but also seen it not work well on others. It’s more about how you present the story - if it’s more focusing on the negative circumstances rather than your skill set/attitude to overcome the circumstances, it won’t be as strong.

In these type of situations, it’s best to focus on the positives of the challenging situation - the learning, the development, the outcome of getting through it.
Thank you Jessica, I appreciate that!

I wanted to make it more personal and honest, but I definitely tried to focus more on how I learned from the situation, the steps I took (both practically and mentally) and the outcome (I received a much higher grade when I resat). So in that sense, it’s a fine approach and I shouldn’t strictly avoid personal topics? I worry about making an interviewer uncomfortable.

I often get nervous during interviews too and worry that this affects my ability to build rapport or display enthusiasm. Are things like this as simple as just smiling and trying to be engaged or is there more to it?

dantep99

Jul 20, 2024
I wouldn’t say you could “bomb” something but you could underperform slightly.

Ultimately when they say they will look at things holistically, they will weigh up various bits of evidence and consider that collectively. That does allow slightly lower performance in one assessment to potentially be balanced out by a strong performance in the same competency/skill elsewhere.
That makes sense, thanks Jessica.

As a follow on to that (and I suppose this is firm dependent), what kind of standard of work is expected from a vacation scheme student? We were assessed on three “trainee level tasks”, but I presume they don’t expect perfection on these? I know I made a couple of mistakes.

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Thanks so much @AlexJ. I don’t suppose if you know if the online learning is exactly the same as the live classes? I.e do they just essentially stream the live classes to those who opt for online?
    It is the same material but the classes are split online and in person, so online everyone would be online if that makes sense. It would be say breakout rooms on teams rather than discussing stuff at a table

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica, I appreciate that!

I wanted to make it more personal and honest, but I definitely tried to focus more on how I learned from the situation, the steps I took (both practically and mentally) and the outcome (I received a much higher grade when I resat). So in that sense, it’s a fine approach and I shouldn’t strictly avoid personal topics? I worry about making an interviewer uncomfortable.

I often get nervous during interviews too and worry that this affects my ability to build rapport or display enthusiasm. Are things like this as simple as just smiling and trying to be engaged or is there more to it?
    As I have said previously, you can use personal answers - they can work well.

You are less likely to make the interviewer uncomfortable if you are not labouring the detail of the circumstances. It’s often the case that when people really get into the (usually unnecessary detail) of the circumstances or heavily describe the situation it can be uncomfortable.

Rapport is more than just smiling - it’s about trying to create a connection between you and the interviewer but there are a whole multitude of ways you can do that. There isn’t one style of creating connection - lots of people do it in very different ways, but generally being polite and attentive are the key ingredients to doing so.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That makes sense, thanks Jessica.

As a follow on to that (and I suppose this is firm dependent), what kind of standard of work is expected from a vacation scheme student? We were assessed on three “trainee level tasks”, but I presume they don’t expect perfection on these? I know I made a couple of mistakes.
    Perfection does not exist - for any lawyer, let alone a trainee or a vacation scheme student.

There is not a “standard” though - these things are not cookie cutter approaches to assessing, because even if you are all given the same task, people will approach that task in different ways and it does not mean one is right/wrong. They are going to also be looking at your approach as well as your output as well.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Do you have any tips on how to build rapport effectively with interviewers? @Jessica Booker
    I'm pretty competent at interviews. Mirroring often helps. Don't take yourself too seriously, but take the 'why law' and 'why the firm' very seriously. In my Milbank feedback, the Partner literally said I made him laugh. Interviews, unless they are Slaughter and May type debate style interviews (that's what they had in 2019, anyhow), are generally about affinity building IMHO.

legal18

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2024
    Hi, I am self-funding a law conversion course at BPP and just wanted some advice. Would it make more sense to do the law conversion course without SQE1 prep in the hopes that I will find a firm to fund my SQE prep and exams? The course without SQE1 prep is cheaper and involves a professional project - would this be a good selling point for employers?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I am self-funding a law conversion course at BPP and just wanted some advice. Would it make more sense to do the law conversion course without SQE1 prep in the hopes that I will find a firm to fund my SQE prep and exams? The course without SQE1 prep is cheaper and involves a professional project - would this be a good selling point for employers?
    The professional project won’t really be a selling point when applying. It might provide an interesting opportunity, but it isn’t going to stand out to employers as something unique or compelling.

Do the firms you are aiming for also sponsor a conversion course? If so, it could be the case you could hold out for either course until you have secured a TC.

legal18

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2024
    The professional project won’t really be a selling point when applying. It might provide an interesting opportunity, but it isn’t going to stand out to employers as something unique or compelling.

Do the firms you are aiming for also sponsor a conversion course? If so, it could be the case you could hold out for either course until you have secured a TC.
    Yes, they do but I have been unsuccessful this cycle. But in all honesty, I did not do very many applications and it was my first time. I also don't think I'd want to spend a year dilly-dallying and would rather crack on with the law conversion as I can do it as a masters so will still be able to get some funding. My dilemma just is whether I do the masters with SQE1 prep included or not.

lawyerdreams

Jul 25, 2024
    Yes, they do but I have been unsuccessful this cycle. But in all honesty, I did not do very many applications and it was my first time. I also don't think I'd want to spend a year dilly-dallying and would rather crack on with the law conversion as I can do it as a masters so will still be able to get some funding. My dilemma just is whether I do the masters with SQE1 prep included or not.
    Were you a law or non-law student? If non-law, have you explored doing the PGDL? I think there are a few firms who still require it for non-law students (though someone correct me if I'm wrong) and you could do that for this year and wait before doing SQE1 prep

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.