• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Got a tc offer with IM!!!!
Congratulations! That is fantastic news!

Excited Drag Queen GIF by Paramount+

Reactions: Lawstudent1218

sm99

Distinguished Member
Feb 5, 2020
Does anyone know if it’s common for law firms to recoup 50%(or more or less) of LLM fees if you don’t accept a NQ job/move to a different firm?

The NQ job part is a bit scary. If I want to qualify in litigation but I am offered tax and I turn it down - it’s a bit unfair that I get hit with 50% costs!

I don’t want to quote the exact t&cs but it seems like I will be liable for 50% whether I leave off my own accord; turn down a NQ job in an area that I don’t like; leave due to receiving no NQ job offer

• Wow
Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know if it’s common for law firms to recoup 50%(or more or less) of LLM fees if you don’t accept a NQ job/move to a different firm?

The NQ job part is a bit scary. If I want to qualify in litigation but I am offered tax and I turn it down - it’s a bit unfair that I get hit with 50% costs!

I don’t want to quote the exact t&cs but it seems like I will be liable for 50% whether I leave off my own accord; turn down a NQ job in an area that I don’t like; leave due to receiving no NQ job offer
it’s not common but similar terms do exist across a number of firms. It’s rare that a firm would recoup anything if they didn’t have an NQ offer to give you - generally is only if you turn down an offer they would.

• 🤝
Reactions: sm99

axab23

Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 13, 2023
Has anyone's outcome been deferred after a vac scheme? As in, they tell you they can't give you an offer at the moment, but they don't want to reject you - so they will reconsider you again in a few months?

codytrainee

Mar 22, 2024
Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a predicament at the moment and wondered if anyone could give some advice.

I’ve applied for VSs for three cycles now and have sadly been unsuccessful. However, today I was offered a TC by the firm I’ve been a paralegal at for the past year.

I really like the firm, the people, and the culture. The problem is it’s a high street firm in a small city. Although there’s nothing wrong with that per se, I always had aspirations of training in the City, working on international deals, which I know I won’t do here. I’m also worried that if I accept this TC and train here, it would be very challenging to move laterally to a City firm later on in my career because a high street firm and a City firm are like chalk and cheese.

My friends have told me to accept it; I’ve been applying for three years and I have an offer now right there. It just isn’t what I saw myself doing and I suppose I have high expectations of myself. It almost feels like settling, but maybe this is the level I’m at and would be silly to decline.

Any advice (as honest as possible) would be much appreciated.

Reactions: jmak

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a predicament at the moment and wondered if anyone could give some advice.

I’ve applied for VSs for three cycles now and have sadly been unsuccessful. However, today I was offered a TC by the firm I’ve been a paralegal at for the past year.

I really like the firm, the people, and the culture. The problem is it’s a high street firm in a small city. Although there’s nothing wrong with that per se, I always had aspirations of training in the City, working on international deals, which I know I won’t do here. I’m also worried that if I accept this TC and train here, it would be very challenging to move laterally to a City firm later on in my career because a high street firm and a City firm are like chalk and cheese.

My friends have told me to accept it; I’ve been applying for three years and I have an offer now right there. It just isn’t what I saw myself doing and I suppose I have high expectations of myself. It almost feels like settling, but maybe this is the level I’m at and would be silly to decline.

A post on your profile says you got a Taylor Wessing VS, did you complete it and just not convert? Because I would say having a VS at a good firm on your applications really helps with getting past app stage so might be worth another cycle...

codytrainee

Mar 22, 2024
A post on your profile says you got a Taylor Wessing VS, did you complete it and just not convert? Because I would say having a VS at a good firm on your applications really helps with getting past app stage so might be worth another cycle...
I did the TW VS this cycle and didn’t convert it sadly. So maybe it’s a bit harsh to say “unsuccessful” but I suppose if it doesn’t end in a TC it maybe could be regarded as such :(

Like I think maybe that shows I should aim higher but a TC is a TC and I’m also not in the position to be picky.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

When is the TC due to start? Assuming the firm is not providing you with any financial support for LPC/SQE training either?

codytrainee

Mar 22, 2024
When is the TC due to start? Assuming the firm is not providing you with any financial support for LPC/SQE training either?
It would start in 2026. I did ask about the SQE and funding for it and they said it was something they were discussing but if I stayed with them as a paralegal, they would be able to offer some form of funding if I did a part-time SQE in September 2025.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It would start in 2026. I did ask about the SQE and funding for it and they said it was something they were discussing but if I stayed with them as a paralegal, they would be able to offer some form of funding if I did a part-time SQE in September 2025.
You’ve ultimately got at least another 10-12 months to find something else suitable then.

Until you take any financial support from them start any onboarding process for an SQE course they are contributing towards, you are not tied to the firm.

You can accept the offer, keep looking for other opportunities, and then if you don’t find something else, then worry about whether to go ahead. If you do secure something more appropriate before you start the TC or receive any financial support, you can renege the original TC offer.

Law Student

Distinguished Member
Dec 20, 2022
I have just graduated and I’m struggling to find a legal job

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the Burlington Row paralegal training programme. The way it works is you enter a paralegal course where you have to complete 4-12 weeks of online paralegal training. You are also given 12 weeks guaranteed legal work experience and you are given support with your cv, cover letters, interviews etc. Finally, you are given a CPD certificate upon completion.

To pass the course, you have to pass an MCT.

The reason why this programme is good is because your trained and given legal work experience, which a lot of paralegal jobs offer. But I’m sceptical if I should join because the programme costs £1,995 (which is a lot of money for me) and it seems like a lot just to get into an entry level paralegal job.

I am a part of upreach which is free and helps me with my cv/applications too so I’m not sure if Burlington Row programme would benefit me

Has anyone tried the programme or have any advice for me? Should I go for it?

• Wow
Reactions: FM302989
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.