• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’ve just completed a VS and concerned about my overall performance. I loved the firm and am desperate to convert but a few things I did probably could have been better:

1. I had one piece of assessed work where we had options of clauses to delete, and I’m sure I selected the wrong one. The rest of the work was fine, that was just a sizeable error.

2. I asked for feedback from my supervisor for a piece of work I did and she said she wouldn’t have enough time to go over it and worried not asking again makes me look proactive.

3. I didn’t ask enough questions during the lunchtime sessions that grad recruitment asked.

4. I only arranged one coffee chat, when others in my cohort were doing five or six. I’m worried this suggests a lack of enthusiasm.

5. I asked in a group exercise if we should put something to a vote, which people shutdown.

6. In a written assessment, I threw in my own knowledge which I realise was incorrect (I said a company was based in Delaware when it wasn’t)

I feel my scheme was strong other than that and I managed to build a strong rapport with my supervisor, who thanked me for my enthusiasm at the end, and my trainee buddy said he was “sure I’d be fine” in relation to converting.

Don’t know if I’m reading too much into each of these points and in combination they won’t look good. Any thoughts @Jessica Booker or is this a huge case of overthinking?
I’d stress your perception might not be reality. I sense you are finding the smallest faults rather than taking a balanced approach to reviewing your performance.

The supervisor said they didn’t have time for feedback. That is with them, not with you.

You asked questions in the session. It isn’t a competition to ask more questions.

The same goes for coffee chats. Coffee chats are there to utilise time when you haven’t got work to do - they shouldn’t be prioritised and people doing 5-6 could risk spending too much time doing them.

Just because an idea was shot down in a group exercise doesn’t mean it wasn’t a useful contribution.

The written exercise is going to assess far more than getting something wrong.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would a Partner often say something is “excellent” as just a token phrase that’s said to most people? I know that may seem silly.
No. There is no reason to say something was good or bad if it actually wasn’t. It’s easier/better to say nothing at all about how someone performed if anything.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I love the forums, but sometimes I think we are a bit of an echo chamber, and sometimes that isn’t always healthy.

Recently I sense when people start to scrutinise themselves and look for reassurance that it’s all okay (especially from me), it leads to other people then scrutinising themselves.

So I thought this simple image might be helpful in grounding people when they start to doom spiral when thinking how they have done.

IMG_7555.jpeg

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So so happy as I have just been offered a TC with Gateley after a successful VS!!! Here for all the 2020 grads✨🫶🏼 3 years of this cycle sh*t and I can finally put it to rest!!!
Congratulations! This is amazing news and well done for persevering!

Applaud Three Lions GIF by England

• 🤝
Reactions: tcla888 and sm99

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker - I just completed a VS and the grad recruitment stressed that we could all get an offer so there was no competition for places. There were 30 of us, so I highly doubt everyone could get one.

Is this just a marketing thing, a way to reduce competition between those on the scheme, or could they technically hand one to everyone?
They don’t make this stuff up - there is no value in doing so.

Even if they haven’t got 30 training contracts, they know not everyone will accept a TC with them.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica, that’s reassuring.

So when firms use lines like this, they offer training contracts to everyone they like effectively? Only thing that worries me about that is if I don’t get one it’s because I wasn’t good enough rather than there was someone better/limited spaces.
It is not a line.

They are not going to offer training contracts to people they don’t think are suitable. That is not always about candidates not being good enough, it is sometimes that they are just not the right person for the firm.

To those they do offer, some people are not going to accept the offer.

This means that it exceptionally unlikely all 30 of your vac scheme cohort will be starting a training contract at the firm.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Is anyone else just extremely nervous about not being able to convert their vac scheme into a TC? I am going to start preparing but also there's just so much uncertainty :/
Just updating on here, it was freaking amazing. I am like low-key hero worshipping my supervisor and honestly soooo excited to start my career now because this week of work experience helped me overcome a lot of my fears (dreadful lawyers/ toxicity/ boring work). I was placed in a team I didn't pick but somehow it aligned so perfectly with my academic interests. The work was genuinely engaging and I literally can't wait to be a practicing lawyer wtf 😭😭

yasmars

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Just updating on here, it was freaking amazing. I am like low-key hero worshipping my supervisor and honestly soooo excited to start my career now because this week of work experience helped me overcome a lot of my fears (dreadful lawyers/ toxicity/ boring work). I was placed in a team I didn't pick but somehow it aligned so perfectly with my academic interests. The work was genuinely engaging and I literally can't wait to be a practicing lawyer wtf 😭😭
I am so happy and excited for you!

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

legal18

Distinguished Member
Feb 17, 2024
Awww this is so nice to hear. Where did you do your VS?

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020
I absolutely love this for you! this was exactly how I felt after my vac scheme last year!

Hi all. Long term lurker of the forum but have decided to make an account because I have a terrible situation that I would really appreciate some advice about.

I did a VS at a firm around a month ago. I enjoyed my time there and felt I was the best version of myself, while I tried to get involved in as much work as possible. However, one issue was that the department I was sitting in had no work for me and my supervisor was busy. I asked my trainee buddy who also didn't have anything as they were preparing for an important hearing. After asking quite a few people, I decided to reach out to another department I had an interest in, explained the situation, and they said they could find a research task and a few other bits for me to do. I felt I did them well, and they gave me positive feedback.

Last week, I heard that I had been unsuccessful in converting the VS into a TC. I was obviously very disappointed but when I had my feedback call, I was told the main reason I was unsuccessful was because I failed to assimilate to the team I was in and spent more time doing work for other departments. I think this is completely unfair when I did all I could, and I didn't want to keep pushing my trainee buddy and supervisor when they said they were busy.

I know it's probably pointless because the firm won't change their mind, but my honest opinion is that I've been harshly treated and deserve some sort of "appeal". What can I do?

• 🤝
Reactions: Future$trainee

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all. Long term lurker of the forum but have decided to make an account because I have a terrible situation that I would really appreciate some advice about.

I did a VS at a firm around a month ago. I enjoyed my time there and felt I was the best version of myself, while I tried to get involved in as much work as possible. However, one issue was that the department I was sitting in had no work for me and my supervisor was busy. I asked my trainee buddy who also didn't have anything as they were preparing for an important hearing. After asking quite a few people, I decided to reach out to another department I had an interest in, explained the situation, and they said they could find a research task and a few other bits for me to do. I felt I did them well, and they gave me positive feedback.

Last week, I heard that I had been unsuccessful in converting the VS into a TC. I was obviously very disappointed but when I had my feedback call, I was told the main reason I was unsuccessful was because I failed to assimilate to the team I was in and spent more time doing work for other departments. I think this is completely unfair when I did all I could, and I didn't want to keep pushing my trainee buddy and supervisor when they said they were busy.

I know it's probably pointless because the firm won't change their mind, but my honest opinion is that I've been harshly treated and deserve some sort of "appeal". What can I do?
How regularly did you check in with your supervisor and trainee as to whether they had work?

How regularly did you check in with your supervisor and trainee as to whether they had work?
It was a week long scheme and I checked in on 4 out of the 5 days with my trainee buddy and 3 out of 5 with my supervisor (they were at a hearing for the last 2 days). The only reason I didn't check in with my buddy on the final day was because I was swamped with the work from the other department, and they hadn't given me any work in the four days prior.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It was a week long scheme and I checked in on 4 out of the 5 days with my trainee buddy and 3 out of 5 with my supervisor (they were at a hearing for the last 2 days). The only reason I didn't check in with my buddy on the final day was because I was swamped with the work from the other department, and they hadn't given me any work in the four days prior.
You can mention this to the Graduate Recruitment/HR team and ask what else you could have done beyond asking people each day for work, as it sounds like there potentially could have been more you could have done within the department you were allocated. It can often not just be about tasks but also showing willingness to learn about the topics the department does by doing your own research, learning or attending meetings.

I strongly suspect there won't be an appeal process, but unless this has put you off the firm entirely, you may want to ask whether the firm would consider you again if you reapplied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.