Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone else find it hard on a VS to connect/chat with associates and above? I never want to bother them because they seem so busy but don’t want to be marked down for lack of comms with the wider team that I’m placed in!
email them/send them a messenger on Zoom/Teams chat (or anything similar the firm has) and ask if they would have time to meet later in the week/programme.

• ℹ️
Reactions: sm99 and CP2000

StewartJones

Mar 30, 2024
For SH, if you are unsuccessful for their VS post test, can you reapply for the TC in the same application cycle? If anyone knows, that would be amazing. I will email the graduate recruitment but knowing them I am unsure I will ever hear back 🤣
I think the test/process is exactly the same for TC and VS so I would be surprised if they consider someone for TC if they failed the test. (unfortunately)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker - is it necessary to contact my supervisors to introduce myself before the vac scheme begins? I've been given their full names but no email addresses. Thank you
No - it’s not necessary to do this, especially if you have not been given their email addresses. You may find their emails addresses via the firm’s website though - most firms will have profiles of individual lawyers and their contact details.

It is fine to email them at the same time. I’d just keep it short/brief and have a purpose for contacting them.

• 🤝
Reactions: CP2000

19.mfjones

Distinguished Member
  • Oct 16, 2023
    Hey all, once again asking for advice
    What sort of feedback have you had from ACs?

Got rejected from my dream firm the other day and am absolutely heartbroken. Never had feedback from an AC before and I'm so scared they're going to say it's my personality. Sometimes when I'm nervous I cone across as slightly informal, but I was true to myself and it still wasn't enough. The feedback call is scheduled for next week the day before my grad, so not great timing either

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone think there’s any relevance in tc interviews to note taking?
    is no note taking good or bad and is frequent note taking good or bad? 😭
    No relevance whatsoever. It’s just how interviewers decide to approach things. Some note take, others don’t - it’s their preference rather than anything about you as a candidate.

Reactions: sm99

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    Does anyone think there’s any relevance in tc interviews to note taking?
    is no note taking good or bad and is frequent note taking good or bad? 😭
    I had a feedback phone call with grad recruitment and they said "this is a bit weird but their notes said you have strong eye contact" LOL.

Legalregal

Valued Member
    Jan 13, 2021
    Think lots of people have asked this before but how can you overcome failing to convert a VS?. I know the advice of showing you listened to feedback by doing xyz but.. I have an interview coming up at v similar firm to the one I didn’t convert the vac scheme at. The feedback was annoyingly positive and they said it was the strongest cohort they’d ever had. (So essentially they just like others more than me).

Atm the new firm know I did the Vs but don’t know I didn’t get the Tc.

If I was the interviewer I’d be seriously concerned that another firm thoroughly checked you out for a couple of weeks and didn’t want you. Any advice on overcoming this?

jnice

Distinguished Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Does anybody have any experiences applying for vac schemes as a graduate?

I just graduated and plan to apply for as many winter vac schemes as I can, but it feels odd as a graduate. I'm also not "doing anything" right now apart from sport and am worried it could come up in an interview, should that be a concern?
    Yep, I have. I got my TC offer in 2023 and I graduated in 2017!

19vanessat

Feb 23, 2022
    Think lots of people have asked this before but how can you overcome failing to convert a VS?. I know the advice of showing you listened to feedback by doing xyz but.. I have an interview coming up at v similar firm to the one I didn’t convert the vac scheme at. The feedback was annoyingly positive and they said it was the strongest cohort they’d ever had. (So essentially they just like others more than me).

Atm the new firm know I did the Vs but don’t know I didn’t get the Tc.

If I was the interviewer I’d be seriously concerned that another firm thoroughly checked you out for a couple of weeks and didn’t want you. Any advice on overcoming this?
    I’ve been in this situation before as I got really mediocre feedback from another firm - they basically said I was average (lol) so I thought about which part of the AC during the VS could have improved on to make myself more outstanding. I believed I didn’t contribute as frequently or as insightfully as my other team mates and realised it was partly due to nerves + my lack of confidence when it came to public speaking that I’ve struggled with. I was able to then demonstrate a part of the AC component that I improved in (and the results spoke for themselves, as the firm required me to pass the AC before the final TC interview)

So essentially this is another “what are your weaknesses” or “how to you get up from failure” question. They’re testing you on your self awareness and humility, and don’t worry, they know that some firms don’t take the majority of VS students! When I got asked this, the interviewer was very understanding and sympathetic :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.