Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker hi jessica! im writing a personal statement (600 words) for a campus ambassador programme, do you reckon i should format it as a letter to the GR?
No - if its been explicitly described as a personal statement, it does not need any cover letter formalities. I would just go straight in with your opening sentence/paragraph.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica! They also ask for relevant social media handles - which ones do you reckon are most appropriate to give in the application besides LinkedIn?
You don’t have to provide these if you don’t want to. There is never a requirement for you to provide your social media handles. But if you wanted to, you can provide any that you think are important to share whether that be LinkedIn, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter.

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Does anybody have any experiences applying for vac schemes as a graduate?

I just graduated and plan to apply for as many winter vac schemes as I can, but it feels odd as a graduate. I'm also not "doing anything" right now apart from sport and am worried it could come up in an interview, should that be a concern?

SoonToBeTrainee

Dec 29, 2023

I just graduated and plan to apply for as many winter vac schemes as I can, but it feels odd as a graduate. I'm also not "doing anything" right now apart from sport and am worried it could come up in an interview, should that be a concern?
Don't worry, I'm in the same position. In fact, I'm a year above you. Lots of people are in the same boat as us.

I'm sure it won't be a concern. You've just graduated (congratulations btw), so of course you're welcome to some time off before securing a TC with long hours.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

It’s really not weird - many thousands of people do it each year and many of those go on to secure vacation schemes.

I would try to keep yourself busy even if it is with part time work, volunteering, travelling etc, or even taking on informal forms of study/training. It will be a bit of a concern if you are doing nothing.

CP2000

Star Member
Mar 4, 2024
Bit of a weird Q but I’m doing my final VS next week, and I am also supposed to hear back regarding the outcome of my other VS and final TC interview the same week. I’m terrified of receiving bad news and letting it affect my VS performance and interview. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would it be unwise to mute my emails the whole week?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Bit of a weird Q but I’m doing my final VS next week, and I am also supposed to hear back regarding the outcome of my other VS and final TC interview the same week. I’m terrified of receiving bad news and letting it affect my VS performance and interview. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would it be unwise to mute my emails the whole week?
You’d probably need to not answer your phone and mute emails if you did, and then you risk not being contactable if they are offering you and need to discuss this with you.

Just because one firm doesn’t want to offer you a TC does not mean the next one will make the same decision.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.