• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    I am growing increasingly frustrated because I have been applying to law firms for several years and have not managed to land a training contract or paralegal position. I genuinely feel let down by the education system in order to improve my career prospects. I feel trapped because getting employment (even non-legal) is tough and I want to move out of my area.
    Not sure what your area is, but if you aren't securing roles as a paralegal, perhaps you need to do some up-skilling? For instance, can you learn how to use Relativity? Have you done any of the Forage internships to develop your skills and be honest about where the gaps are? Can you do some LinkedIn courses? If you pick the right training you should become, and feel, a more attractive candidate.

Also you might need to sign on with some employment (paralegal) agencies in the area you are keen to move to, or just an area that has more work. Getting employment is tough, but if you have strong skills you will be able to make a contribution and starting at the bottom may enable you to climb. You might also consider a part time or shift work job which enables you to volunteer at a law centre or pro bono project, depending on your previous interests and experiences. Working in a coffee shop or in retail will give you a structure, and excellent customer service experience. You might also learn about business in a way that encourages you to persevere.

You just have to ignore the flaws in the system, and go higher. Tough but necessary.

Hope that helps a little. You only need one 'yes'.

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 6, 2022
    Hey guys, is the next email candidates are going to receive from Trowers about reaching the application review stage or AC? Email suggests application review but just wanted to double check. Thank you!

illegallyblonde

Standard Member
    Jan 16, 2024
    Hey guys, is the next email candidates are going to receive from Trowers about reaching the application review stage or AC? Email suggests application review but just wanted to double check. Thank you!
    The email I have just received says they will now consider my application and result. I am a little confused as the initial email upon receiving the MMAT said we reached the next stage, but a few people have said they think the test is automatic.

Does this mean I have just reached the benchmark from the MMAT?

Reactions: user3883930

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 6, 2022
    The email I have just received says they will now consider my application and result. I am a little confused as the initial email upon receiving the MMAT said we reached the next stage, but a few people have said they think the test is automatic.

Yeah that means you passed the benchmark for the MMAT so now they’ll consider your application form with the MMAT score combined.

Reactions: illegallyblonde

Thom&as

Feb 27, 2024
    May I ask when you heard back for an interview? As in what was the gap between you sending in your app and getting the interview
    I applied on 9 June but they couldn't process my application until 4 July because I hadn't gotten all my grades back from uni until then. I got invited for an interview two weeks later and then did the interview two weeks after the invitation.

Livvia

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2023

Received same email too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.