• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How do law firms view candidates who have been on state benefits such as JSA or universal credit?
They are unlikely to ever find this information out, unless you went out of your way to tell them. It wouldn't need to be something you disclosed in a recruitment process.

I am growing increasingly frustrated because I have been applying to law firms for several years and have not managed to land a training contract or paralegal position. I genuinely feel let down by the education system in order to improve my career prospects. I feel trapped because getting employment (even non-legal) is tough and I want to move out of my area.

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
Mar 25, 2024
I really am surprised by firms being off put from hiring someone for paralegal over commitment.

Firms always say they prefer applicants to have sat the SQE - but why would anyone put them selves through SQE to become a career paralegal?
They’re looking for internal TCs that they don’t have to fund.

SQE is even better as they can just keep them as a min wage paralegal and get an NQ

FRkit12

Feb 4, 2022
Still haven't heard anything from W&C post-application, do people think it's safe to assume that it's going to be a rejection given that people have been receiving VI invitations this week?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.