• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

HB2024

Standard Member
Jan 16, 2024
Do you mind me asking what this is for? I applied for their Legal Assistant (Paralegal) role for the London office back in March, did some online test and then heard nothing for months. I emailed in June asking when they'd get back to me and they said they'll only review my app when there's an opening and will contact me then - but still haven't heard anything.

Hi - I am planning on applying to the legal assistant programme soon. Do you mind if I ask what the online test involved? Were there any written questions? I want to make sure I submit when I'll have sufficient time in the following week to complete the test.

Thank you in advance.

latome19

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 13, 2023
Hi everyone, I was just wondering whether, if I self-fund my LPC course this year and then take SQE2, firms would let me qualify under the ‘Equivalent Means’ route with them or would they still make me take SQE1? I’m a little bit confused as to how that would work

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone, I was just wondering whether, if I self-fund my LPC course this year and then take SQE2, firms would let me qualify under the ‘Equivalent Means’ route with them or would they still make me take SQE1? I’m a little bit confused as to how that would work
You wouldn't need to do LPC + SQE2 + Equivalent means. Instead, you would do LPC + SQE2 + 2 years of QWE.

There is no reason you should have to do SQE1 - you have an exemption because of the LPC, although I have heard of one firm forcing their trainees to do SQE1 which is just bizarre in my opinion. I don't see the logic of that at all. Most firms would just say you'd need to complete SQE2.

However, if you haven't started your LPC course already, consider just doing SQE1 and SQE2 - it makes a lot more sense to do it this way rather than investing into the LPC for a whole year only to then have to do SQE2.

MCL

• Aug 14, 2024
    Hi - I am planning on applying to the legal assistant programme soon. Do you mind if I ask what the online test involved? Were there any written questions? I want to make sure I submit when I'll have sufficient time in the following week to complete the test.

Thank you in advance.
    I applied and did the test on the same day because I had time. This was back in March though so I don't remember the exact format sorry - but I think it should be broadly similar to most SJT's etc. I think it took around 30-40 mins.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.