• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
Does anyone know White and Case's reapplying policy? Can't find it anywhere and too late to email and ask now. I know less people are hired through the direct route so wondering whether I should wait and apply for Winter VS instead? But they will be in two different cycles so I imagine its fine? Just a question of whether they're a weird firm that has a 12 month rule instead of a cycle rule

Livvia

Star Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
might be a rlly silly q but I did a tc ac recently, they only give like 6 tcs and they told us we should hear back next week but someone already heard back this week w an offer, so do they usually space giving offers out or would it be possible they would've given all the offers out within that time frame (ac was on wed, then thurs and fri)? ik its only 6 tc places so cant be a lot of calls to make

@Jessica Booker would love to know your thoughts? im rlly overthinking it ahaha
Would advise that you send a polite message requesting for an update on your AC. Sometimes, all calls aren't made in a day. There are several reasons for this - including that they might have tried reaching out but are unable to due to network issues. Secondly, you might have done really well but on a waiting list. So, you might consider reaching out for an update.

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
might be a rlly silly q but I did a tc ac recently, they only give like 6 tcs and they told us we should hear back next week but someone already heard back this week w an offer, so do they usually space giving offers out or would it be possible they would've given all the offers out within that time frame (ac was on wed, then thurs and fri)? ik its only 6 tc places so cant be a lot of calls to make

I would wait until the end of the time frame (end of next week) before jumping to any conclusions - and even then, its not a rejection until you get the PFO email. I don't think firms usually call everyone on the same day anyway and there could be other reasons that person heard back earlier (maybe they told the firm they had another offer so needed to know quicker etc)

Jmk

Feb 3, 2021

Do they have another AC day or was yours the only one?

Jmk

Feb 3, 2021
Does anyone know White and Case's reapplying policy? Can't find it anywhere and too late to email and ask now. I know less people are hired through the direct route so wondering whether I should wait and apply for Winter VS instead? But they will be in two different cycles so I imagine its fine? Just a question of whether they're a weird firm that has a 12 month rule instead of a cycle rule
You can reapply each year if you were rejected after application. I don’t think you can apply after the interview/vac scheme again. I applied three times and got through to the vac scheme on the third time.

• ℹ️
Reactions: VMS and Sharon Wu

Jmk

Feb 3, 2021
only one, which is why im a bit panicky
I would wait. The candidate maybe heard back because maybe they had another TC offer and needed to make a decision on it. do you know if that’s the case? They usually send out offers and rejections at the same time so I think that individual has another offer!

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
You can reapply each year if you were rejected after application. I don’t think you can apply after the interview/vac scheme again. I applied three times and got through to the vac scheme on the third time.
Thanks so much! When you say you don't think you can apply after the interview, do you mean VI or the in person interviews? I've never applied before but just curious

jmak

Star Member
May 12, 2024
Thanks so much! When you say you don't think you can apply after the interview, do you mean VI or the in person interviews? I've never applied before but just curious
I applied for a VS and they didn't have face to face (in person) interview before the VS. The process was 1) application 2) timed video interview (no people) 3) written assessment 4) video interview 5) vacation scheme. In the vacation during you have an interview with partners towards the end. I assume for the TC you have the assessment centre instead of the vacation scheme. I think after the VI if you get rejected you can't reapply because that interview is already with a member of grad recruitment and a partner. But don't quote me!

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

jmak

Star Member
May 12, 2024
Also for context my academic and work experience were significantly different from the 1st and 3rd application. By the third time I had built up my CV with more work experience including over a year and a half in professional services and I got a masters. I'm not saying you need that but this was how I built up my CV. The trainees I met at the firm during the VS that went through the direct TC route were graduates and usually had experience working before or had done vacation schemes. My trainee buddy on the vac scheme for example worked at W&C in support services before applying for a direct TC. I think if you have excellent grades - high 2.1/1st and years of post-graduate work experience or at least one vacation scheme apply for a direct TC. The second time I applied to W&C was for a direct TC and I had never done a vac scheme before and I didn't get through the application stage. The third time I applied to W&C was for a vac scheme and it was my first ever vac scheme.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
how long are people's W&C cover letters? There's no word limit and that's stressing me out, fear mine is too long but I do not have the energy to cut any more words
Aim for up to 1000 words.

We have seen some that are slightly longer but where they are, they are super concise, well structured, and still focused.

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
You can reapply if you were rejected after VI, think it’s only after in person interview/AC that you can’t (that’s what I was told by Rare last year)

mdoeslaw

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 9, 2023
    is it possible to leverage another upcoming tc interview to hear back faster from another firm post ac? @Jessica Booker

the latter is my first choice which is why I kind of wanna know if ive gotten that or not before I start preparing for my second interview

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.