• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do freshfields require a cv
No - it’s just their application system which is designed for vacancies outside of graduate recruitment. All the information you would be providing would be in your application, and so it’s just duplication and is highly unlikely not even going to be read.

If it was necessary it would be compulsory and you wouldn’t be able to proceed with your application without submitting it

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu and jplaw1010

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
No - it’s just their application system which is designed for vacancies outside of graduate recruitment. All the information you would be providing would be in your application, and so it’s just duplication and is highly unlikely not even going to be read.

If it was necessary it would be compulsory and you wouldn’t be able to proceed with your application without submitting it
Great thanks, so just the 850 personal statement?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It has been one year since my last application!
I would expect your application to change somewhat. You’ll need to show what you have developed in the last 12 months both in terms of skills and knowledge, but also demonstrating your pursuit of the career.

I think it’s risky applying with the same application, as although you think the application was unsuccessful on the basis of the test, you may not know whether the application would have been successful if you had done well in the test.

Even if it had been successful, showing you are actively developing your skills and finding opportunities to do so, will also be important.

Soniastudent

Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 22, 2022
I would expect your application to change somewhat. You’ll need to show what you have developed in the last 12 months both in terms of skills and knowledge, but also demonstrating your pursuit of the career.

I think it’s risky applying with the same application, as although you think the application was unsuccessful on the basis of the test, you may not know whether the application would have been successful if you had done well in the test.

Even if it had been successful, showing you are actively developing your skills and finding opportunities to do so, will also be important.
Thank you for your answer! I am thinking more about the reasons why I am interested in commercial law and why I want to join Freshfields. These reasons have not changed since my last application. If I were to change my reasons for being interested in commercial law, wouldn’t that be weird?

Livvia

Star Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
Anyone else unable to view their freshfields tc application on the link post submission? Worried there was a technical error submitting my application.
Once you make the submission, I do not think you are typically permitted to view it. I think you would just see that some attachments have been made but wont be able to access those attachments.

km_bntn

Oct 31, 2023
Just wanted to ask for Direct TCs, I've heard from a number of law firms at legal cheek events that the threshold is higher in terms of the expectation for legal experience. But how much legal experience is necessary? Outside of volunteering at my uni's legal clinics, I'd say I only have about 6-7 months of legal experience. I'm afraid I don't know if that will be enough...

Reactions: Aaj03

Maddy

Star Member
Premium Member
Apr 8, 2024
@Jessica Booker

I am planning to apply to Freshfields. I have completed my LL.M, however, there isn't a specific section in the application to enter this detail. They do ask if I have attended a second university, but I guess this refers to a second undergraduate degree. Can you please clarify ?

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
Just wanted to ask for Direct TCs, I've heard from a number of law firms at legal cheek events that the threshold is higher in terms of the expectation for legal experience. But how much legal experience is necessary? Outside of volunteering at my uni's legal clinics, I'd say I only have about 6-7 months of legal experience. I'm afraid I don't know if that will be enough...
which law firms said this? I thought a vacation scheme, regardless of what firm it was at was enough?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
6-7 months will be more than enough. I would say 4 weeks is typically enough (eg two or more vac schemes or a longer placement).

Reactions: bangarangbass39

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

I am planning to apply to Freshfields. I have completed my LL.M, however, there isn't a specific section in the application to enter this detail. They do ask if I have attended a second university, but I guess this refers to a second undergraduate degree. Can you please clarify ?
I would take this as postgraduate. Very few people do two undergraduate degrees.

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
6-7 months will be more than enough. I would say 4 weeks is typically enough (eg two or more vac schemes or a longer placement).
By the end of the summer I would have completed around 4 weeks worth of legal experience. In my application for a direct TC that has already been submitted, I only mentioned my internship which lasted two weeks because the other two experiences had not been completed. Additionally, the form required that I list up to 3 experiences so I did not want to list everything legal. I'm also on the final round of interviews for a politics internship for 6 weeks where a lot of legal experience is on offer.

Would grad rec look at this negatively? Is it worth reaching out and asking if I could add this completed work experience to my application?

km_bntn

Oct 31, 2023
which law firms said this? I thought a vacation scheme, regardless of what firm it was at was enough?

I'm not sure, I just attended the Legal Cheek Spring and Winter Fair, and across the board I asked this question to many firms not one in particular, and that was the consensus: Legal experience not necessary for vacation schemes, but for training contracts it will be.

Reactions: bangarangbass39
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.