• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonToBeTrainee

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 29, 2023
    I'd appreciate any advice on this subject, and thank you in advance.

I've always tried to max out the work experience sections to their word count limit. So, if each work history section is capped at 300 words each, I'll try and write 200-300 words.
    I'm not too sure why I've always done this. I think it's because so many people say to "use the word count".

However, I'm looking back on my past applications and wondering if I'm just waffling nonsense, essentially. Maybe this is part of the reason I've been going wrong all these years.

Would I be disadvantaging myself if I wrote short, succinct work experience sections (100 words each, for example)? Or, has this been common practice all along, and I've been doing it all wrong.

CP2000

Star Member
    Mar 4, 2024
    I'd appreciate any advice on this subject, and thank you in advance.

I've always tried to max out the work experience sections to their word count limit. So, if each work history section is capped at 300 words each, I'll try and write 200-300 words.
    I'm not too sure why I've always done this. I think it's because so many people say to "use the word count".

However, I'm looking back on my past applications and wondering if I'm just waffling nonsense, essentially. Maybe this is part of the reason I've been going wrong all these years.

Would I be disadvantaging myself if I wrote short, succinct work experience sections (100 words each, for example)? Or, has this been common practice all along, and I've been doing it all wrong.
    I've done both in the past and managed to get through to next stages. I don't think it matters how much you write as long as it's relevant - no point waffling if there is not much to say. But that's just my opinion!

evianmineral

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Mar 12, 2024
    That’s weird I didn’t get automatically sent the test?
    Depends when you applied (e.g. friday at 7pm you won't get it till monday)

Unsure as to why as it is automatic but I think someone actually has to click send. It was like this when I applied for OC, i applied around 29th Dec (everybody off for xmas/NY) and only got the test invite a few days into January.

Maybe macfarlanes isn't like this, maybe it is.

Reactions: Donuttime

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 8, 2021
    I am answering a question about picking a news story and the, describing effect this has on the firm's clients and the opportunities it will provide for the law firm. Is it necessary to link this back to me at all or can/should I just stick to what the question asks?

@Jessica Booker I am guessing you will know how to approach this please!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am answering a question about picking a news story and the, describing effect this has on the firm's clients and the opportunities it will provide for the law firm. Is it necessary to link this back to me at all or can/should I just stick to what the question asks?

@Jessica Booker I am guessing you will know how to approach this please!
    The only link back to you should be why the story interests you and this should be kept pretty brief (no more than 1-2 sentences). You don’t need to describe anything you have done to build this interest, just a reference of where it stems from.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Parsorandini

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker How do I approach an interview that will be done with me and another candidate? so like a two candidate interview is what they have called it
    Interesting approach (and one I find slightly odd in all honesty!). It’s really difficult to comment as I have never seen one in action, but I would suggest that if the questions are being directed to both of you, don’t always jump in first. However, I would expect the interviewer(s) to direct questions to each of you separately. Just be mindful of time when answering too. And finally look engaged when the other person is answering.

Have they said it’s more of a personal interview or a commercially focused interview?

stacy2523

Premium Member
  • Oct 12, 2023
    Anyone who did Withers’ VI and hasn’t heard - are you assuming PFO seeing as they’ve already been interviewing? I only submitted my test last Monday - but clearly they move quick!
    I submitted my test on 25/05/24 and they invited me to first stage interview on 05/06/24. My interview was on 13/06/24. I then received an AC invite on 26/06/24. My AC is on 04/07/24! Hope this helps with timelines and what to expect!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.