• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

pri

Mar 8, 2024
Got offered Freshfields TC today!! in complete awe and disbelief - thank you everyone on here for the support and advice. TCLA has been an invaluable and motivational community. There's light at the end of the tunnel after all!

Happy to help anyone in any way, particularly can give insight into Slaughter and May, Freshfields and Travers Smith

Got offered Freshfields TC today!! in complete awe and disbelief - thank you everyone on here for the support and advice. TCLA has been an invaluable and motivational community. There's light at the end of the tunnel after all!

Happy to help anyone in any way, particularly can give insight into Slaughter and May, Freshfields and Travers Smith AC 😊
That is incredible! I am so happy for you. I am also interested in applying for Freshfields, do you have any good advice on how to get a TC without doing a VC with them beforehand? I am an international student, I study law and am currently trying to gain legal experience through interships. What do you think was the reason you got the TC? What parts of your cv do they value the most? education, experience...? I'll be so grateful if you answer!

jwantsatc

Jul 18, 2024
Bit of a mini rant here that I feel like others can relate to - but why is it so darn hard to get a TC ?! I understand that getting a job in today's market is difficult no matter what field you are in , but it seems like these days so many people are applying for vacation schemes and training contracts. It is what it is, but i'm genuinely curious about why there seem to be a billion people (and it seems to be more each year) that are trying to get into commercial law - and obviously there isn't enough room for everybody. So, does anyone know why everyone and their mother wants a training contract?!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Bit of a mini rant here that I feel like others can relate to - but why is it so darn hard to get a TC ?! I understand that getting a job in today's market is difficult no matter what field you are in , but it seems like these days so many people are applying for vacation schemes and training contracts. It is what it is, but i'm genuinely curious about why there seem to be a billion people (and it seems to be more each year) that are trying to get into commercial law - and obviously there isn't enough room for everybody. So, does anyone know why everyone and their mother wants a training contract?!
A few reason why I think it is actually a little more competitive these days (but only slightly - it’s always been competitive):

- SQE making the qualification process more open - this is making some people consider the career who might have been put off by the GDL

- Redundancies is other key sectors such as Finance and Tech - makes people more to more stable sectors, of which law has always been much more stable in terms of graduate vacancy numbers

- AI / ChatGPT - has increased application numbers. People are applying to more firms as they are finding it quicker to do so due to AI.

I don’t think it’s wildly different or more competitive than previous years though - it’s always been competitive. The only time I know it was less competitive was pre social media but back then some firms were still asking for hand written and posted applications!

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
Mar 25, 2024
A few reason why I think it is actually a little more competitive these days (but only slightly - it’s always been competitive):

- SQE making the qualification process more open - this is making some people consider the career who might have been put off by the GDL

- Redundancies is other key sectors such as Finance and Tech - makes people more to more stable sectors, of which law has always been much more stable in terms of graduate vacancy numbers

- AI / ChatGPT - has increased application numbers. People are applying to more firms as they are finding it quicker to do so due to AI.

I don’t think it’s wildly different or more competitive than previous years though - it’s always been competitive. The only time I know it was less competitive was pre social media but back then some firms were still asking for hand written and posted applications!
It seems that the paralegal market has fell off a cliff though.

user254

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 7, 2020
    Hi everyone - if you miss a firm’s call following an AC and you have tried calling them back after they left a message and couldn’t get through, should you try again a few hours later or wait for them to call/email? Don’t want to spam them but also would reallllllly like to know the outcome of my TC app 😅

bluebell

Star Member
    Feb 4, 2023
    Does anyone know which dates the WFW AC runs on - when I logged on there were only 2 options to book (neither of which really work for me) - Are those the only two dates or were there more which have now been booked up? Not sure if worth emailing GR..?!

CP2000

Star Member
    Mar 4, 2024
    Hi everyone - if you miss a firm’s call following an AC and you have tried calling them back after they left a message and couldn’t get through, should you try again a few hours later or wait for them to call/email? Don’t want to spam them but also would reallllllly like to know the outcome of my TC app 😅
    I’d call again and leave a message, unless they said they’ll call you again in their voicemail. Good luck 🤞🏼

Reactions: Sharon Wu
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.