• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzeLaylor

Distinguished Member
  • Oct 15, 2021
    Given the competitive legal market, what alternative careers are law graduates considering?
    Banking is quite open to law grads - I know two people (both law graduates) who switched to investment/corporate banking after doing vac schemes and not converting to a TC. The work is similar (and probably more interesting) as are the salaries.

ashwright

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 10, 2023
    Newbie here with two quick qs -

1. Whilst I am an incoming final year law student, I have zero legal work experience (e.g., vac schemes). Am I correct in understanding that I should exclusively be applying for VSs and that no firm would think me an appropriate candidate for direct TCs?

2. If I secure a winter vac scheme for firm A, is it worth me applying (after securing the VS) for firm B's TC?

Thank you. Whilst I'm pretty aware of the recruitment processes etc. I am still struggling to wrap my head around the various cycles and timeframes of qualification etc.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Newbie here with two quick qs -

1. Whilst I am an incoming final year law student, I have zero legal work experience (e.g., vac schemes). Am I correct in understanding that I should exclusively be applying for VSs and that no firm would think me an appropriate candidate for direct TCs?

2. If I secure a winter vac scheme for firm A, is it worth me applying (after securing the VS) for firm B's TC?

Thank you. Whilst I'm pretty aware of the recruitment processes etc. I am still struggling to wrap my head around the various cycles and timeframes of qualification etc.
    For direct TC applications, you will be in a stronger position with legal work experience. You can still apply for TCs but you will need strong alternative employment with clear transferable skills and exceptionally well thought through career motivations (both for the career and the firm). For most people with limited/no legal work experience, applying for vacation schemes will likely be the better route.

You can apply to a mix of VS and TCs though. Even if you do a vac scheme with one firm, it maybe that you realise the firm is not right for you, and so making other VS or TC applications elsewhere is usually the best approach.

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2023
    Have people put anything in the 'Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application (Optional)' box for Hogan Lovells? I feel like the application doesn't really give you much room to show off your strengths ngl so kinda want to use it to show off my extracurriculars?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.