• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 18, 2023
    Bit of a mini rant here that I feel like others can relate to - but why is it so darn hard to get a TC ?! I understand that getting a job in today's market is difficult no matter what field you are in , but it seems like these days so many people are applying for vacation schemes and training contracts. It is what it is, but i'm genuinely curious about why there seem to be a billion people (and it seems to be more each year) that are trying to get into commercial law - and obviously there isn't enough room for everybody. So, does anyone know why everyone and their mother wants a training contract?!
    TLDR: it all comes down to money...

Basically, things have gotten so stratospherically expensive within the past 2 or 3 years to the point that if you're not in a position like banking/ consultancy/ commerical law/ entrepreneur etc. you will find yourself struggling on an average entry level salary especially if you dont have the luxury of living with parents.

This is also coupled with much more international competition since there has been a massive increase in the number of international students being accepted into universities. This is because unis are esentially being forced to take on more internationals since they pay more tuition fees compared to domestic students and unis need to keep up with their own rising costs.

And, many law firms are reducing their intake to save on costs especially as most of them keep putting up salaries and need to fund this cost by taking on less trainees.

Sarah.lyon

Sep 27, 2023
    After some advice please - there's a couple of direct training contract applications still open until later this month that I'm interested in. I've not had enough time to research/prepare as much as I'd like so trying to weigh up whether it's worth rushing an application now or just waiting until applications re-open in September. Is there any harm in submitting an application that isn't the best i.e would it reflect poorly on me in the next application cycle?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It seems that the paralegal market has fell off a cliff though.
    Summer is generally bad for paralegal roles. It will likely pick up in September.

Think it is also general retention of more paralegals in roles though, in part where some are looking to qualify via paralegal roles and then because there aren’t as many people moving from role to role.

Reactions: Wannabe_Lawyer

Jmk

Feb 3, 2021
    TLDR: it all comes down to money...

Basically, things have gotten so stratospherically expensive within the past 2 or 3 years to the point that if you're not in a position like banking/ consultancy/ commerical law/ entrepreneur etc. you will find yourself struggling on an average entry level salary especially if you dont have the luxury of living with parents.

This is also coupled with much more international competition since there has been a massive increase in the number of international students being accepted into universities. This is because unis are esentially being forced to take on more internationals since they pay more tuition fees compared to domestic students and unis need to keep up with their own rising costs.

And, many law firms are reducing their intake to save on costs especially as most of them keep putting up salaries and need to fund this cost by taking on less trainees.
    Can you provide a source saying universities are taking more international students?

EzeLaylor

Distinguished Member
  • Oct 15, 2021
    Bit of a mini rant here that I feel like others can relate to - but why is it so darn hard to get a TC ?! I understand that getting a job in today's market is difficult no matter what field you are in , but it seems like these days so many people are applying for vacation schemes and training contracts. It is what it is, but i'm genuinely curious about why there seem to be a billion people (and it seems to be more each year) that are trying to get into commercial law - and obviously there isn't enough room for everybody. So, does anyone know why everyone and their mother wants a training contract?!
    There are lots of non-law students becoming interested in law which has increased competition for training contracts/vac schemes - some useful stats - Source: Chambers Student 2023

Attachments

• IMG_2452.jpeg
      IMG_2452.jpeg
      379 KB · Views: 100
    • IMG_2453.jpeg
      IMG_2453.jpeg
      416.7 KB · Views: 101
    Last edited:
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 18, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_8160.png
      IMG_8160.png
      603.1 KB · Views: 21
    • IMG_8159.png
      IMG_8159.png
      443.6 KB · Views: 21

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 18, 2023
    I'm also interested to understand what @RonRod13 what you meant by "more international competition" - just because there are supposedly more international students at UK universities, why does this translate to more competition for training contracts?
    You’re right, correlation doesn’t imply causation. But there’s been a sharp increase (more than double) in overall interest in UK jobs. This is also coupled with a large increase in internationals switching to work visas. Now, obviously not every single one of these students or workers are going to be interested in law but you can make a reasonable assumption that the number of international applicants are increasing nonetheless and id say there’s strong enough evidence out there to conclude that there is a causal link.

Attachments

• IMG_8161.png
      IMG_8161.png
      635.4 KB · Views: 18
    • IMG_8162.png
      IMG_8162.png
      350.2 KB · Views: 19
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.