• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

jasonbourne

• Feb 9, 2024
    Hey! I'm currently writing an application but am struggling with the latter end of this question: 'How did your interest in commercial law develop, and how have you built your understanding of this sector/industry?'

I am pretty comfortable with the first limb of the question. As for the second part, I'm not sure if they're looking for me to list resources that have helped me build my understanding of commercial law or if they're looking for other specific things. What would they be looking for here? SHould I make mention of any resources produced by the firm?

Would appreciate your help with this @Jessica Booker, as well as anyone else!!

SoonToBeTrainee

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 29, 2023
    Hey! I'm currently writing an application but am struggling with the latter end of this question: 'How did your interest in commercial law develop, and how have you built your understanding of this sector/industry?'

I am pretty comfortable with the first limb of the question. As for the second part, I'm not sure if they're looking for me to list resources that have helped me build my understanding of commercial law or if they're looking for other specific things. What would they be looking for here? SHould I make mention of any resources produced by the firm?

I think another way of looking at the second bit of the question is ‘what events, webinars, open days etc. have you attended. Who have you spoken to? How did that interest you?’

Reactions: jasonbourne

cleojwilliams

Premium Member
    Jan 31, 2024

What firm is this for

Amma Usman

Star Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    This is my first time applying for vac schemes since 2020/1; I'm neither confident nor exceedingly hopeful, though... I wish I had discovered this forum back then.

Is anyone else interested in or going for White and Case? What do you think of the 'why you, why us, why law' style of application question? How do you even start it?

Just out of curiosity, how many applications are considered too many (e.g., x amount for winter, x amount for spring, etc.)?
    Hey @jojo23 , it's amazing that you're taking this step again, and that's already something to be proud of! Every application is a new opportunity, and even though it can feel daunting, you've likely gained so much experience and insight since your first round. It's never too late to find the right resources, and it's great that you've discovered this forum now! Just remember, every bit of progress, no matter how small, counts.

Standard Motivational Questions

• In an application for a commercial law firm, it would be good to cover your motivations for a career in the profession. Why have you decided to go into law? Why is it ’commercial’ law you want to go into? What it is about a career in this specific profession you want, that other jobs in say marketing or investment banking may not offer you? Really dig deep into your passions, interests, and work experiences to answer this. This shows demonstrated interest. Another thing candidates often forget is that you don’t necessarily need legal work experience to show demonstrated interest. Leverage all your experiences.
    • Another focal point is to address the reasons why a particular firm appeals to you. Avoid generic points like stimulating work or an international presence - a lot of law firms, and indeed professions outside law, offer this. Firms will have specialties across a broad range of practices but will generally specialize in some practices more than others. Thoroughly explore a firm‘s practice offerings.
    • Leverage any extracurriculars or achievements as this would suggest an ability to juggle multiple commitments - soft skills for lawyers. You would want to dig deep into your past involvements to answer this. Often times as candidates, we forget about how much we have done and how valuable these are to employers.

Number of Applications

There are two thoughtful approaches to consider when deciding how many applications to submit.

1. On one hand, some may choose to focus on a select few applications, dedicating significant time to understanding each firm’s values, practice areas, and aligning these with their personal passions. This approach allows for a deeply tailored application but can be seen as a higher-risk strategy, especially if only applying to a small number of firms.

2. On the other hand, the process can also be viewed as a numbers game. By applying to a wider range of firms that genuinely interest you, you not only increase your chances statistically but also improve with each application. The more you write, the more refined your responses become, which enhances your chances of progressing to assessment centres. Each stage you reach helps to strengthen your interview skills, ultimately increasing the likelihood of success.

Amma Usman

Star Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024

Hey @jasonbourne , great question!

It looks like the two parts of the question are closely connected, which is common with hybrid questions such as this. The first part focuses on how your interest in becoming a commercial lawyer developed. The second part builds on that, asking you to demonstrate how you’ve taken steps to deepen your understanding of the field. You can highlight this through various means—perhaps you’ve read relevant books, attended open days, participated in online webinars, or had conversations with trainees and lawyers.

While the first part assesses whether you understand what a career in commercial law involves, the second part wants to see your commitment to continually learning and staying informed about the industry.

Reactions: jasonbourne

lawyerdreams

Jul 25, 2024
    For this question: Please tell us about a commercial news story you have recently been following. How might it impact Hogan Lovells' clients?

Do you guys think they would like us to talk about what HL's role will be, for example, if there is a negative impact to their client, how HL can help mitigate this?
    Or, should I really just focus on the impact to the client?
    I think I would just focus on the impact on the the firm's clients, as the question doesn't ask you about HL's role so you risk not answering the question/not going into detail on the points being asked.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    So makes no sense to apply if the overall grade is low 2:1 and not excellent work experience or extra curricular activities. Is this true? @Jessica Booker
    I disagree! I applied with 3 2:2s in my first year and got through to interview with Jones Day!

Have a strong application overall and you should be good.

aphelion

Premium Member
    Apr 4, 2023
    For those who are Paralegals - can I ask what your notice is after your probation period? I am a paralegal at the moment and my notice after 6 months probation will be 3 months - and I am wondering if this is industry standard or just my firm.

I'm thinking who is gonna wait 3 months to hire a paralegal with 6 months experience 💀
    I'm a paralegal at a commercial firm in London and I have a 2 month notice period. I think 2/3 months is pretty standard for these sorts of roles. I'm at 1 year of experience and from discussions with potential new employers I don't think the notice period is a problem if you're a strong candidate!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.