• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

jojo23

Sep 15, 2024
This is my first time applying for vac schemes since 2020/1; I'm neither confident nor exceedingly hopeful, though... I wish I had discovered this forum back then.

Is anyone else interested in or going for White and Case? What do you think of the 'why you, why us, why law' style of application question? How do you even start it?

Just out of curiosity, how many applications are considered too many (e.g., x amount for winter, x amount for spring, etc.)?

• 🤝
Reactions: Amma Usman and Sharon Wu

KGNines

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 29, 2020
Hey @KGNines, great question!

With hybrid questions like this, I believe either approach is fine. However, whichever approach you take, you could include a short preamble statement stating which parts of the question you would cover in turn. This will let graduate recruitment know that you‘ve understood the question and are not going off on any tangents. Another general approach could be:

- A paragraph which really tells your story and what led you to commercial law. Any experiences outside law? Any experiences within law that were initially not ‘commercial’? Why did the commerce aspect appeal to you?
- A paragraph explaining why NRF? Work/practice areas? Recent developments you may not necessarily get at another firm? etc.

Hope this helped, and let me know if you have any other questions!
Thanks Amma, appreciate your advice. Avoiding appearing as if I am going off on a tangent is exactly what I am trying to do so your structure is very helpful!

Reactions: Amma Usman

KGNines

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 29, 2020
For those who are Paralegals - can I ask what your notice is after your probation period? I am a paralegal at the moment and my notice after 6 months probation will be 3 months - and I am wondering if this is industry standard or just my firm.

I'm thinking who is gonna wait 3 months to hire a paralegal with 6 months experience 💀
Mine is 1 month but I joined my company in a previous role and they never changed it when I became a paralegal. 3 months is pretty standard and you can always ask your employer if they will let you leave before your notice period is up - a lot of companies don't mind doing so, particularly if they find a replacement beforehand.

Reactions: lookingforaTC

laurenn42

Premium Member
Oct 7, 2022
For this question: Please tell us about a commercial news story you have recently been following. How might it impact Hogan Lovells' clients?

Do you guys think they would like us to talk about what HL's role will be, for example, if there is a negative impact to their client, how HL can help mitigate this?
Or, should I really just focus on the impact to the client?

fingersarecrossed

Star Member
  • Feb 11, 2024
    For this question: Please tell us about a commercial news story you have recently been following. How might it impact Hogan Lovells' clients?

Do you guys think they would like us to talk about what HL's role will be, for example, if there is a negative impact to their client, how HL can help mitigate this?
    Or, should I really just focus on the impact to the client?
    opportunities and risks for firm and its clients
    e.g., advisory opportunities but risk of e.g., huge fines for clients not complying

cleojwilliams

Premium Member
    Jan 31, 2024
    Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success?

2.Tell us about a challenge you have faced. What are the skills you used to overcome that challenge and how are they transferable to help you with a career as a lawyer
    I found the two minutes was really not a lot of time I’m not really sure what they wanted us to include in this

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.