• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really 'raise your game' in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments?

This is for Hogan Lovell’s application. What sort of example are recruiters looking for @Jessica Booker? The way the question is phrased it seems like they are looking for a quite impressive situation…I’ve been in situations where I’ve had to manage competing deadlines, come in last minute to make amendments to documents - is this along the right track?
I’d take the “raise your game” as the key focus to this question. It needs to be something that has required you to put unexpected effort into something whilst still keeping your other commitments ticking over.

I’d try to avoid anything that is just about working longer. There can be an element of working longer, but I would also try to find something where you have had to work smarter too, as I think this really hits the “raise your game” element.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

KGNines

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 29, 2020
Does any one have any advice on structuring this question for NRF - How has your understanding of the role of a commercial lawyer developed, and motivated you to pursue a career at Norton Rose Fulbright?

Is it best to essentially split it into:
1) Why I want to be a commercial lawyer with reference to relevant experiences and their impact on my understanding and motivation(s) for the role;
2) Why NRF and why I am a good fit with relevant reasons/examples.

Or would it be better to structure it in a combined manner, using multiple examples i.e.
1) Example of experience, how this has developed my understanding as a commercial lawyer and then how said experience links to NRF;
2) Repeat the same with another example; and
3) Repeat same with another example.

Would appreciate any guidance, whether that be using one of the above or an alternative approach to structuring an answer.

Apple

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Does any one have any advice on structuring this question for NRF - How has your understanding of the role of a commercial lawyer developed, and motivated you to pursue a career at Norton Rose Fulbright?

Is it best to essentially split it into:
1) Why I want to be a commercial lawyer with reference to relevant experiences and their impact on my understanding and motivation(s) for the role;
2) Why NRF and why I am a good fit with relevant reasons/examples.

Or would it be better to structure it in a combined manner, using multiple examples i.e.
1) Example of experience, how this has developed my understanding as a commercial lawyer and then how said experience links to NRF;
2) Repeat the same with another example; and
3) Repeat same with another example.

Would appreciate any guidance, whether that be using one of the above or an alternative approach to structuring an answer.
Just my personal approach. I did them somewhat distinctly, but did link back to how the things that initially made me want to pursue commercial law were specifically relevant at NRF.

Reactions: KGNines

zara elles

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 24, 2020
Does anyone know if you are able to take the Ashurst psychometric test again or whether they use your previous scores? I completed the assessment last year but did not progress. I've heard a few people say they keep your scores for two years but not too sure.

Reactions: bibss

sammm10101

Aug 15, 2024
Does anyone know what the word count is on the upcoming Hogan Lovells application questions? Or remember what the word counts were last year?
I think it was 250? Not 100% sure
Don't know how much this helps, but for their LGBTQ+ Open Day I applied for through AllAboutLaw, it had a character limit rather than a word limit, and I'm pretty sure it was 600 characters per question. That might be an AllAboutLaw thing though, rather than a Hogan Lovells thing.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Does anyone know if you are able to take the Ashurst psychometric test again or whether they use your previous scores? I completed the assessment last year but did not progress. I've heard a few people say they keep your scores for two years but not too sure.
I am having the same dilemma! Their email says that "if you completed our online tests with another application within the last 12 months you will not require to complete the tests again". I completed their test on 19 September last year, so technically it's still within the last 12 months. Might just check with grad recruitment to be on the safe side

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
I am having the same dilemma! Their email says that "if you completed our online tests with another application within the last 12 months you will not require to complete the tests again". I completed their test on 19 September last year, so technically it's still within the last 12 months. Might just check with grad recruitment to be on the safe side
When I applied for direct tc this March I didn’t redo the test cause it was within a year from my 2023 direct tc app (only by a couple days). But I applied for the winter vs this cycle and had to redo the test, so I think it’s only a year

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
When I applied for direct tc this March I didn’t redo the test cause it was within a year from my 2023 direct tc app (only by a couple days). But I applied for the winter vs this cycle and had to redo the test, so I think it’s only a year
Thank you - this is helpful to know! So it looks like I won’t have to redo the test

Reactions: Zi48

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.