• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Gg2001

Premium Member
Mar 26, 2024
Legal Cheek do 'look into' it: https://www.legalcheek.com/firm/sidley-austin/.

'Universities Currrent Trainees Attended: Oxbridge 44%, Russell Group 47%; Other UK 3%, International 6%'

If we're going to quote statistics (which can and do put people offf applying) let's quote the real ones, shall we?
That does not go against their point though. Legal cheek could say 47% Russell group and majority of those would come from LSE / Durham / Warwick, people who got rejected from Oxbridge. Russell groups unis have their own hierarchy, not all of them are the same. Many people attending LSE / Durham are private school students as well.

Filia

Jul 5, 2023
That does not go against their point though. Legal cheek could say 47% Russell group and majority of those would come from LSE / Durham / Warwick, people who got rejected from Oxbridge. Russell groups unis have their own hierarchy, not all of them are the same. Many people attending LSE / Durham are private school students as well.
I agree with you 👏🏻

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Fair enough. The Legal Cheek information doesn't mention school types. LinkedIn would help there, however.

Reactions: I’m_Batman

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
How long does it take to improve in the Watson Glaser? I have to take one next Friday and am not doing well in the Inferences and assumptions sections
It's really hard. I peaked at 77% in the Watson Glaser in 2020. I regard it as an ableist test, intentionally or otherwise. You cannot be a neurodiverse employer while using that test, in my honest opinion. Just use an interview, written task, SJT etc. Outsourcing to the Watson Glaser feels a bit lazy.

Thom&as

Feb 27, 2024
Hi @Jessica Booker , at the end of the A&O Shearman SJT I think there's a video interview question along the lines of 'why do you want to be a commercial lawyer at A&O Shearman?'. When answering something like this, I don't know whether to prioritise 'Why A&O Shearman?' or 'Why commercial law?'. What structure would you recommend?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , at the end of the A&O Shearman SJT I think there's a video interview question along the lines of 'why do you want to be a commercial lawyer at A&O Shearman?'. When answering something like this, I don't know whether to prioritise 'Why A&O Shearman?' or 'Why commercial law?'. What structure would you recommend?
I don’t think there is one approach to this. One person may need to prioritise more of the commercial law over the next candidate (for instance if they have no legal work experience). I would ensure there is a balance in the answer so that it covers both parts of the question though and not to put too much emphasise on only one part.

Reactions: Thom&as

addy2004

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 28, 2023
    Hey everyone - please can somebody give an example of how they would answer a question asking about a recent setback you have had & how you overcame it? I've never come across this before and am struggling to decide what to discuss! Thank you :)

zoobla20

Premium Member
    Mar 15, 2023
    Does anyone know any good sites for practicing Cappfinity style Watson-Glaser questions? Right now, I'm using JobTest Prep and it's making me more confused about how to approach WG - especially since the questions aren't reflective of the type I actually got during the last VS cycle.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone - please can somebody give an example of how they would answer a question asking about a recent setback you have had & how you overcame it? I've never come across this before and am struggling to decide what to discuss! Thank you :)
    Dealing with challenges/obstacles/failures is vital in a law firm so they want to see that you manage the bounce back from that or don’t let it get to you/give up.

The example can be anything - academics, work experience, extra curriculars, or just general life. I’d just avoid something that happens to a lot of people (eg not getting expected grades/not getting into your first choice of uni), just so you can make your answer more unique. For a general structure, I would recommend:

Outline the situation leading up to the set back briefly
    Explain the set back - you don’t have to labour why the setback happened unless it’s going to explain how you reacted/changed your approach after the set back.
    Focus your answer on what you did after the setback to make it a more positive outcome
    Explain anything you learnt from the situation.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

addy2004

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 28, 2023
    Dealing with challenges/obstacles/failures is vital in a law firm so they want to see that you manage the bounce back from that or don’t let it get to you/give up.

The example can be anything - academics, work experience, extra curriculars, or just general life. I’d just avoid something that happens to a lot of people (eg not getting expected grades/not getting into your first choice of uni), just so you can make your answer more unique. For a general structure, I would recommend:

Outline the situation leading up to the set back briefly
    Explain the set back - you don’t have to labour why the setback happened unless it’s going to explain how you reacted/changed your approach after the set back.
    Focus your answer on what you did after the setback to make it a more positive outcome
    Explain anything you learnt from the situation.
    Thank you, this was really useful. Do you think writing about burnout/taking up too many responsibilities and how I overcame that stress is dangerous to mention, given the demanding nature of working in commercial law?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you, this was really useful. Do you think writing about burnout/taking up too many responsibilities and how I overcame that stress is dangerous to mention, given the demanding nature of working in commercial law?
    I wouldn’t suggest this as this isn’t a set back really, it is more over committing to things and could show a lack of sensible judgement. The argument could also be if you overcame the stress of it too, you maybe didn’t take too much on as well.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it a bad idea to apply to winter schemes that have clashing scheme dates, given that appying to clashing schemes can maximise my chances of securing a VS
    I would apply to schemes even if they clash as there is no certainty of securing both of them. Even if you did secure both , you could always ask one of the firms to either move you to a direct TC process or see if they can swap you over to a Spring/Summer programme instead.

Holly2002

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 30, 2024
    I would apply to schemes even if they clash as there is no certainty of securing both of them. Even if you did secure both , you could always ask one of the firms to either move you to a direct TC process or see if they can swap you over to a Spring/Summer programme instead.
    Hi Jessica, I sent you a PM a while ago, please could you check this out, thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I sent you a PM a while ago, please could you check this out, thank you :)
    Unfortunately I can't always respond to PMs due to the volume received. I have to prioritise PMs for mostly sensitive matters - my auto response to private messages will give an outline on what I can respond to via PM. If your message does not relate to one of those topics, then I would recommend posting in the forums. If you feel the matter has been overlooked and does cover one of these topics, then please reply to the message again, and I will review again.

Holly2002

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 30, 2024
    Unfortunately I can't always respond to PMs due to the volume received. I have to prioritise PMs for mostly sensitive matters - my auto response to private messages will give an outline on what I can respond to via PM. If your message does not relate to one of those topics, then I would recommend posting in the forums. If you feel the matter has been overlooked and does cover one of these topics, then please reply to the message again, and I will review again.
    Hi Jessica, I PM'd you as there is personal information that I do not wish to disclose on the forum. Really I am asking for your opinion on my situation and do not wish for others to weigh in. No worries if you cannot reply though, thank you

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.