• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I PM'd you as there is personal information that I do not wish to disclose on the forum. Really I am asking for your opinion on my situation and do not wish for others to weigh in. No worries if you cannot reply though, thank you
I have quickly reviewed your message and I cannot review application answers unfortunately.

If you are still a Gold member, I would recommend booking in for a 1-2-1 call that you receive as part of your subscription.

Soniastudent

Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 22, 2022
I would apply to schemes even if they clash as there is no certainty of securing both of them. Even if you did secure both , you could always ask one of the firms to either move you to a direct TC process or see if they can swap you over to a Spring/Summer programme instead.
Hi Jessica, is it common for law firms to agree to move the process to direct TC or Spring/Summer ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, is it common for law firms to agree to move the process to direct TC or Spring/Summer ?
It happens enough for me to suggest it - not all firms will offer this though and may just ask you to reapply at another time/recruitment window, especially if they know you are turning them down for another firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! I'm drafting the application form, should I use the past tense in the work experience part?
If it is an experience in the past, then yes, this would make sense. If you are still doing a role, then present tense is appropriate unless the task or responsibility is no longer happening.

AS24

Distinguished Member
Apr 16, 2024
Hi guys, White & Case mentions its new 2025 strategy after having achieved its old one. However, I cannot find any resource which gives a detailed picture of the new strategy. Could anyone help me?

Last edited:

badmintonflyinginsect

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jan 26, 2023
@Jessica Booker Hi! I contacted the GR of a US firm asking if my application would be considered and if I should go ahead with the process despite my low 2.1 and the response I received was, "Whilst I can’t say if your application at this stage will be one of our strongest, I can confirm we consider all applications holistically."

Should I proceed with this firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi! I contacted the GR of a US firm asking if my application would be considered and if I should go ahead with the process despite my low 2.1 and the response I received was, "Whilst I can’t say if your application at this stage will be one of our strongest, I can confirm we consider all applications holistically."

Should I proceed with this firm?
Yes

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do you think it gets harder to get a TC as each year passes? It seems like the number of applicants increase year-on-year
Generally, no it’s not getting more competitive each year. It goes up and down in different years as different things influence the number of candidates and the number of roles.

It’s definitely not as competitive as it was in 2008-09/2009-10 anyway!

hanz123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 16, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'm a recent law grad, starting a paralegal job and will be entering my third application cycle
I got to my first ever AC last cycle but was unfortunately unsuccessful
I would appreciate any top tips for applications, AC's etc and also any advice on managing applications whilst working full-time

Thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.