• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

floral.tcla

Standard Member
Aug 15, 2024
I saw a couple posts from Jessica about this. Essentially, it’s not necessary to link your answers back to the firm if the question doesn’t directly ask you to.

In the case of Q1, the firm just want to hear about your interests and, perhaps more importantly, why you’re interested.
Brief references to the firm in passing etc. are fine, but not required. Trying to anticipate questions can often mean that applicants avoid answering the direct question completely. So, it’s probably better to just answer what’s being asked.

To parrot Jessica (lol), my advice for Q1 is to focus on something specific, in order to distinguish yourself from others and show a depth of analysis on that commercial topic.

On a personal note:
I wouldn’t say the commercial topic needs to be directly relevant to a firm’s core practice areas / clients, when the question doesn’t specify otherwise. If a firm is full-service, for example, mentioning a more unique topic that genuinely interests you (and that you can therefore go into depth with) is probably more likely to help you stand out.
Thanks a lot for this - it's really insightful. How would you recommend finding out about these topics, especially unique topics? How long do you need to follow a news story for? What's your definition of a 'unique' news story? Anything that isn't on covid, ai, etc or something that's genuinely obscure?

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
thanks for letting me know! that's a shame because I liked their work culture :/ I do have some extenuating circumstances for the exams I got a grade 60 (and I have always been state-educated so I had no idea how to do well in university exams). I heard that employers regard an Oxbridge 2:1 as a high 2:1 or even a first compared to non-Oxbridge universities. Do you know what they would think?
Is the big difference between how they perceive a non Hums degree from Oxbridge v a uni like Warwick? I ask because I went to Warwick n completed History. I’m not applying for MC/SC so I think my grades matter slightly less.

Apple

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Is the big difference between how they perceive a non Hums degree from Oxbridge v a uni like Warwick? I ask because I went to Warwick n completed History. I’m not applying for MC/SC so I think my grades matter slightly less.
Honestly, I feel like if you go to any of the RG universities as long as you have a mid 2:1 grades shouldn't really limit you except for the select US firms and Slaughter & May etc.

I feel like the Oxbridge favour gets overblown a bit. a 2:1 from a RG uni puts you in a great position almost always if the extra-curriculars are there too.

Reactions: SoonToBeTrainee

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thanks for letting me know! that's a shame because I liked their work culture :/ I do have some extenuating circumstances for the exams I got a grade 60 (and I have always been state-educated so I had no idea how to do well in university exams). I heard that employers regard an Oxbridge 2:1 as a high 2:1 or even a first compared to non-Oxbridge universities. Do you know what they would think?
That is not true, unfortunately.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica! Does Slaughter and May has a higher standard than other Magic Circle law firms ( especially on grades
Supposedly that is the case in terms of academics. However, I have seen enough people with average graders get into Slaughters to know it’s not a hard and fast rule and that if they can find other parts of your application exceptional they may be more interested in that than just your academics.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Generally, out of Winter, Spring and Summer vacation schemes could someone rank the competitiveness?
No matter what people tell you, it really doesn't work like this unfortunately for the following reasons:
  1. It varies from firm to firm depending on eligibility of the schemes - the more open the scheme is to different groups of people, the more competitive in terms of application numbers it can be.
  2. Dates of schemes can make a scheme more or less competitive - all it needs to do is full outside of term time or clash with competitors scheme dates and a scheme maybe less competitive. I moved a scheme forward by one week and compared to the previous year we had less than half the number of applications because a number of universities term date had not concluded.
  3. Sometimes its just down to the advertising a firm does for that scheme. If they have more campus events or social media campaigns ahead of a scheme closing or get some really great PR near a deadline, application numbers can shoot up.
  4. Competitive is not just about application numbers but quality. Sometimes you will just be up against a stronger or weaker bunch of candidates and that can influence how your application is perceived if you are a more borderline candidate.

Soniastudent

Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 22, 2022
Does anyone know if there is a difference in the application process for TC and VS for A&O Shearman? I remember reading that the TC had a written exercise but not sure anymore, I think its the same process but

001hussa

Aug 1, 2024
Hi, I want to apply to some firms that are strong in disputes, however in my disputes module at uni i got a 58. The rest of my grades are fine. Would firms care about this low mark, especially if i talk about my interest in disputes in my application.

001hussa

Aug 1, 2024
Honestly, I feel like if you go to any of the RG universities as long as you have a mid 2:1 grades shouldn't really limit you except for the select US firms and Slaughter & May etc.

I feel like the Oxbridge favour gets overblown a bit. a 2:1 from a RG uni puts you in a great position almost always if the extra-curriculars are there too.
Which us firms are those?

legal18

Star Member
Feb 17, 2024
I am applying for HSF's social mobility open day and the question is 'Please explain how you think you would benefit from attending this open day.' Do they want to hear about me coming from an underrepresented group or is it more just why us, why law etc.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am applying for HSF's social mobility open day and the question is 'Please explain how you think you would benefit from attending this open day.' Do they want to hear about me coming from an underrepresented group or is it more just why us, why law etc.
I suspect you wouldn't need to cover either in this question, especially if you have had to provide any contextualised recruitment data or answered any social mobility questions.

Focus on the question - it wants to you describe how you feel you would benefit from attending the open day. So you just need to focus on this. Think about what you are keen to learn about in terms of a career in law, HSF as a firm, about the recruitment process, or how it would help you work out whether the firm is one you could have a future career at. And make sure it is really linked back to you personally - what will you benefit/gain from attending (rather than what anyone could say they could gain more broadly/generally).

Lawyering13

Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 5, 2024
    Second what Jessica said - I went to their event last year and my application focused on what I wanted to learn rather than how I was socially mobile. I tried to be specific about a couple of their practices and diversity initiatives and what information I wanted to get out of the day. Could cover stuff like tips for applications, training structure at the firm, legal tech, pro bono etc. also try mention who you want to speak to during the day, as there are opportunities to speak to people from all seniority levels. :)

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    Hi all,
    Hope you are having a good start of cycle.
    @Jessica Booker Do you know if I can get a visa to study SQE 2 preparation course ? I quitted my job and I have to do only SQE 2, as I have the LPC. I will start my TC in September 2025, and the firm gave me the option to do the course full time/ part time or online.
    Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,
    Hope you are having a good start of cycle.
    @Jessica Booker Do you know if I can get a visa to study SQE 2 preparation course ? I quitted my job and I have to do only SQE 2, as I have the LPC. I will start my TC in September 2025, and the firm gave me the option to do the course full time/ part time or online.
    Thanks.
    You will only be able to get a student visa if it is an academic course that provides you with a postgraduate diploma or a masters level course.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.