• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

gazdgazd11

Star Member
Premium Member
Feb 27, 2024
@Jessica Booker sorry I’m not sure where else to ask this question but I keep getting paralegal rejections (aside from TC rejections of course) despite experience working at a big law firm in Poland atm and solid applications with an LLB from UCL and LPC and LLM from university of law. Do you know if there’s a particular reason why it’s so hard to get to the next stage of paralegal recruitment processes? For example, I’ve had two final stages of TC recruitment process (Blake Morgan and Brown Rudnick) so surely my applications and qualifications are not horrible for legal positions - why can’t I get past the application stage for any paralegal role? Sorry I know this may be a silly question you can’t answer but I’m really struggling rn

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker sorry I’m not sure where else to ask this question but I keep getting paralegal rejections (aside from TC rejections of course) despite experience working at a big law firm in Poland atm and solid applications with an LLB from UCL and LPC and LLM from university of law. Do you know if there’s a particular reason why it’s so hard to get to the next stage of paralegal recruitment processes? For example, I’ve had two final stages of TC recruitment process (Blake Morgan and Brown Rudnick) so surely my applications and qualifications are not horrible for legal positions - why can’t I get past the application stage for any paralegal role? Sorry I know this may be a silly question you can’t answer but I’m really struggling rn
Are they permanent roles? If so, it may actually be that they think you might be aiming for a TC and therefore are not committed long term to the paralegal role.

pepsicola96

Standard Member
Jul 11, 2024
is it okay to apply to law firms that ask for AAB with ABB grades? I imagine this would depend on the firms I'm applying to (Hogan Lovells, Bird n Bird, and Taylor Wessing). I'm more interested in whether this is an essential criterion or desirable. If not, I am okay with this as they aren't the only firms I am applying for.
well I'll be applying to two of those and I have ABC 🤩

generally I think the majority of firms consider mitigating circumstances to some degree if you have them. Some firms, the AAB is more of a preference than a requirement, I think the language that they use in their requirements can give you an idea.

E.g Taylor Wessing says "Regarding academic ability, we do look for AAB at A Level and a 2:1 in any degree discipline. If you do not meet the AAB requirement but are able to demonstrate strong academic performance elsewhere and have the motivation, skill set and attitude to succeed, please reach out to one of the team to discuss your application." which suggests to me they're quite willing to consider those with lower grades in some cases.

Bird and Bird give the standard answer, we require AAB, but consider mitigating circumstances and use Rare contextual recruitment.

Interestingly I can't find any A-level requirements on the Hogan Lovells page. I was under the impression it is an AAB requirement and Legal Cheek still lists this, but the website https://graduates.hoganlovells.com/what-we-offer/vacation-scheme only references a 2:1 at degree level.

Nonetheless, you are only one grade below. If you have the spare time to apply, and you're interested in the firms go for it!

Reactions: bangarangbass39

legal18

Distinguished Member
Feb 17, 2024
If I want to talk about one of the reasons that I want to apply to a firm is due to their innovation what sorts of things should I include in that paragraph.

So far I'm thinking awards they've won for innovation/examples of innovation but I don't know how to relate it to myself and fear that it is too descriptive rather than showcasing my strengths as well.

Also a more general question about applications: how do you balance showcasing your research on the firm and your skills on questions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I want to talk about one of the reasons that I want to apply to a firm is due to their innovation what sorts of things should I include in that paragraph.

So far I'm thinking awards they've won for innovation/examples of innovation but I don't know how to relate it to myself and fear that it is too descriptive rather than showcasing my strengths as well.

Also a more general question about applications: how do you balance showcasing your research on the firm and your skills on questions.
Be specific in two ways:

1) how has the firm been innovative. Just saying it is innovative isn’t really enough. Try to drill down to how the firm is innovative (practical and real life examples of how they imbed being innovative at their firm). This is often why awards are slightly superficial, is the award is just evidence someone thinks they are good at it, but why they won the award is typically the more important content/reasoning.

2) then take that specific element(s) and explain why that is important/relevant/of interest to you. Don’t just claim it is, try to evidence a connection to your own experiences/knowledge that shows previous exposure to this.

If you take this approach, you’ll have the balance of research but also talking about you and your interests/motivations (it is not always about having to demonstrate your skills).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
38th percentile from hogan is apparently the benchmark. What does this mean??
This means if you took a sample of 100 people who they are assessing you against who had also taken the assessment and lined you up in order of performance from lowest to highest scores (with 1 being the lowest and 99 being the highest), you would need to be the 38th person in the line (or anyone else in the line after that).

The difficulty with these tests is knowing who you are being assessed against, as it could be a national group of people educated up to GCSE level or it could be partners in the law firm itself.

• 🤝
Reactions: Amjaya

lookingforaTC

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2024
On paralegal roles - how important is the firm you are a paralegal for and the work that you are doing in securing TC interviews?

I like the firm I paralegal for and they are decent firm to work for straight after graduating - but I have been looking for better and have an interview with a 'better' firm and better practice area. However, this would mean leaving my privileged fully WFH role and moving city - so I am wondering if the change is worth it and will make me a better applicant?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
On paralegal roles - how important is the firm you are a paralegal for and the work that you are doing in securing TC interviews?

I like the firm I paralegal for and they are decent firm to work for straight after graduating - but I have been looking for better and have an interview with a 'better' firm and better practice area. However, this would mean leaving my privileged fully WFH role and moving city - so I am wondering if the change is worth it and will make me a better applicant?
I don't think it just comes down to firm name. It will also be the levels of responsibilities you have and the practice area/department you are working in.

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.