• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hi does anyone have any tips for the Jones Day AC? Also, how does one improve their commercial awareness per se? Would it just be keeping up to date with market trends, reading the FT, and the like?

Hi @unknownnn7372

Well done on getting to the AC! The Jones Day AC has changed a bit since I went through it in 2022, but you may be asked questions about areas of law or business that you’ve expressed interest in at the application stage. For example, I was asked several questions about the National Security and Investment Act, which made sense since I had mentioned my interest in the defence sector in my application. Keeping on top of current developments in areas you're passionate about will help demonstrate genuine interest and thought.

Also, as with any other AC, it’s critical to reflect on why you want to join Jones Day specifically. Besides the non-rotational training system, think about the firm’s global structure (the “one firm worldwide” approach), the practice areas it’s strong in, and its top-tier reputation for client service—Jones Day consistently ranks highly in surveys on client satisfaction. Being able to articulate why these aspects matter to you will help you stand out.

In terms of commercial awareness, reading the FT and keeping up with market trends is a great starting point. When applying to firms, I also found it helpful to practice analysing news stories myself. One thing that worked for me was actively analysing why specific events and trends were relevant to law firms and their clients. Every month or so, I would try to do the following:
  • Choose one business story – This can be about anything you find interesting in the last day or two.
  • Ask yourself key questions:
    • How might this impact a firm’s clients?
    • What practice areas could be affected? (e.g., corporate, litigation, regulatory)
    • Could it lead to new opportunities or risks for the business or industry involved?
    • How would you advise a client on this issue?
  • Take notes in bullet points – I’d jot down why it mattered from both a business and legal perspective, thinking about how the story could drive client needs or affect firm strategy. This was also an opportunity for me to practice Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) analysis.
  • Apply your insights – This approach really helped later on during ACs and written exercises. I was able to refer back to these stories and show a deeper understanding of commercial issues when asked about recent developments.
It's also worth looking beyond the FT. For instance, I also found firm websites and industry reports (particularly from groups such as Deloitte or McKinsey) really useful in learning about recent financial and commercial trends that would inevitably impact law firms.

Hope that helps, and best of luck with your AC :)

Reactions: Jaysen and Izzy1026

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Can anyone who applied to CRS last cycle send me last year's questions please?

Hi @ayiiii05 :)

You'll find the questions for last year's recruitment cycle below. Hope this helps:

Q1 Please use the space below to describe the reasons you want to be a solicitor. Consider what first prompted your interest in the profession, your research on the profession, and particular areas of law that interest you. Max 300 words.

Q2 Please outline the reasons you have chosen to apply to Charles Russell Speechlys. We're interested to understand: your research on the firm, how our work has captured your interest, what excites you about working for an international law firm, and the reason for choosing your preferred office location. Max 400 words.

Q3 Describe the achievement or accomplishment you are most proud of and why? Use the space below to explain how you challenged yourself in the process, if you have to overcome any setbacks, and the skills you used to achieve this. Max 300 words.

Q4 The Firm's values are: Authentic, Collaborative, Committed and Forward Looking. Choose one and explain what makes it important to you. Use the space below to showcase why it resonates with you, an example of where you've demonstrated this value, and reflect on how you'll bring this to the firm. Please see our website for more information on our values. Max 300 words.

Best of luck with the application!

nliro85

Distinguished Member
Jan 25, 2024
I received a message from someone on the forum offering to help me review applications through this AI app before submitting the application. Has anyone else received a message from a user on here. They also shared their LinkedIn account with me, but the LinkedIn account seems fake.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

nliro85

Distinguished Member
Jan 25, 2024
Okay thanks. Kind of surprised cause I assumed they look at all applications only after the deadline? That is how I plan my dates of submitting the application by checking if the firm is rolling or not, I haven’t submitted yet
No worries but guess it might have been my test feedback or my commercial question not that great.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I received a message from someone on the forum offering to help me review applications through this AI app before submitting the application. Has anyone else received a message from a user on here. They also shared their LinkedIn account with me, but the LinkedIn account seems fake.
Please can you PM me with details of who this is - TCLA rules means this is not allowed and I will need to ban the member in questions (we have already banned one account for this same reason).

Reactions: nliro85

ayiiii05

Esteemed Member
Nov 10, 2023
Hi @ayiiii05 :)

You'll find the questions for last year's recruitment cycle below. Hope this helps:

Q1 Please use the space below to describe the reasons you want to be a solicitor. Consider what first prompted your interest in the profession, your research on the profession, and particular areas of law that interest you. Max 300 words.

Q2 Please outline the reasons you have chosen to apply to Charles Russell Speechlys. We're interested to understand: your research on the firm, how our work has captured your interest, what excites you about working for an international law firm, and the reason for choosing your preferred office location. Max 400 words.

Q3 Describe the achievement or accomplishment you are most proud of and why? Use the space below to explain how you challenged yourself in the process, if you have to overcome any setbacks, and the skills you used to achieve this. Max 300 words.

Q4 The Firm's values are: Authentic, Collaborative, Committed and Forward Looking. Choose one and explain what makes it important to you. Use the space below to showcase why it resonates with you, an example of where you've demonstrated this value, and reflect on how you'll bring this to the firm. Please see our website for more information on our values. Max 300 words.

Best of luck with the application!
Thank you so much!!! You're a star

• 🤝
Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.