• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Does anyone have advice on applying to Convington? I'm really struggling to communicate my genuine interest as they're really niche- my experiences don't match anything they're really good at; how do I go about this? This is for the first question:
  • Why would you like to pursue a career as a solicitor at Covington, and how do you see yourself contributing to the firm's success? Word Count (Max 300 words)
You have to be creative, you will definitely have some experiences you can relay back to the firm.

I've received ACs by referencing my time working at Subway and how that built resilience because of x situation. Convert the experience to a skill and then the skill to the firm.

Amma Usman

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024

Jones Day PFO post-interview.

I thought the interview went really well too.

I do think firms should provide interview feedback. Telling us “it’s very competitive” and that “luck plays a huge part” is not particularly helpful or reassuring, even if it is true.

It’s only the beginning of the cycle, yet I already feel a bit hopeless. The application and interview process has given me a sort of anti-imposter syndrome.

Why not me?
Am I undesirable as a candidate?
Will I ever get a TC? Or, is this just a pipe dream.
Why is this year going to be any different to the previous years of constant rejection?

So many of us have pursued this career cycle after cycle, year after year. It’s genuinely heartbreaking to continually be told ‘no’.

Sorry for the low mood. But, I’m sure many of you reading this often feel the same way. We always hear about the success stories, but not much about how the rejections affect us. This is a bit of a nothing/pointless post, but I just want you all to know that, regardless of how you feel, you’re not alone.

Hey @SoonToBeTrainee . First of all, I want to say that what you’re feeling is completely valid. The cycle of rejection is one of the hardest parts of pursuing a career in law. Like you said, we all hear about the success stories, but so rarely do we talk about the rejections, the self-doubt, and how it can sometimes feel like you’re just not enough. But here’s the thing—rejection doesn’t mean you’re not enough. It means that the process is doing exactly what it’s designed to do: refine, challenge, and prepare you for the next step.

I know firsthand how demoralising it can be. During my first-year scheme applications, I was rejected from most of the firms I applied to. And, during my vacation scheme application cycle, Jones Day was actually the first firm to reject me after an interview. But what I realised, after allowing myself a little time to reflect, was that rejection was never the end. It was part of the process that would make me stronger, more informed, and more determined.

The most important thing I learned during that time is that motivation isn’t a straight line. Sometimes you’re at the top of your game, feeling like you can take on the world, and other times, you’re struggling to even send out another application. That’s okay. What really matters is consistency. Even when your motivation is at its lowest, keep pushing forward. Keep sending out those applications. Keep showing up for yourself. Because every time you do, you’re moving closer to that opportunity that’s meant for you.

I can’t stress this enough: rejection is not a reflection of your value or your ability to succeed. It’s an opportunity to learn. Every “no” you receive isn’t a failure; it’s a lesson that sharpens your skills, clarifies your goals, and prepares you for the next challenge. After each rejection, I took time to reflect on what I could improve on. Whether it was my commercial awareness, or my understanding of practice areas, I used each setback as an opportunity to grow. And by the end of my first-year scheme cycle, I had learned so much from my rejections that I started to secure offers.

If I had given up after my first post-interview rejection, I wouldn’t be where I am today. I would’ve missed the chance to take stock of what I’d learned, to understand the areas I could grow in, and to return to the process with more knowledge, more focus, and more confidence. The reason I’m sharing this is because I want you to know that your journey isn’t over—it’s just beginning.

The law is a highly competitive field, yes. But that competitiveness isn’t meant to discourage you; it’s meant to prepare you. It’s meant to push you to discover just how resilient, capable, and deserving you really are. Your path may not look like someone else’s, and that’s okay. Every person who succeeds in this field has faced rejection—sometimes more than they care to admit. But those rejections, as hard as they are, are stepping stones. They’re teaching you, guiding you toward the right opportunity, the right firm, the right fit.

So, don’t lose hope. Soon, you will realize that it was never about being rejected or accepted. It was about becoming the person who could face setbacks, keep going, and ultimately thrive. It won’t just be a result of your skills or your interviews. It’ll be a testament to your persistence, your ability to pick yourself up after every “no” and say, “I’m not giving up.” And let me tell you, that’s something far more valuable than any single interview or application. That’s the kind of mindset that will take you through the highs and lows of this profession—and in life.

You’re already showing resilience by just being in this process. The fact that you’re continuing to push forward, even when it feels like you’re going against the tide, is proof of your determination. Keep going. Rejections will happen, yes. But they will never define you. Your mindset, your persistence, your ability to keep going when things get tough—that’s what defines you.

So, if you’re feeling down, take a moment to breathe. Acknowledge that it’s okay to feel this way. But then remind yourself that you’re not done yet. You’re on this journey for a reason. Stay strong, stay consistent, and don’t let rejection convince you that you’re not worthy, because you absolutely are. Keep showing up, and your resilience will carry you through.

Lastseasonwonder

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Can I add headings for application answers?

For instance, for this question to separate my answers to the experiences I want to talk about: "Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements. Tell us what skills and competencies you have developed in the activities you have undertaken and how you developed these"

@Amma Usman

Reactions: User5678

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Can I add headings for application answers?

For instance, for this question to separate my answers to the experiences I want to talk about: "Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements. Tell us what skills and competencies you have developed in the activities you have undertaken and how you developed these"

@Amma Usman
Absolutely. I did this for White & Case and got to interview so I think it's useful to break things up with headings. Lawyers will often skim read things because time is money (among other things) so accessible formats have a lot of currency.

Reactions: Lastseasonwonder

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Holding myself accountable (again).

HSF ✅📝❌
NRF ✅📝❌
Sidley ✅
Willkie ✅🎥
Latham ✅
Skadden ✅
Covington ✅
Linklaters* ✅📝
Paul, Weiss ✅
Slaughters* ✅
White & Case ✅
Hogan Lovells* ✅
A&O Shearman ✅📝

Key: ✅ = application submitted; 📝 = test received; 🎥 = video interview; ❌ = rejection.

*Training Contract applications

Last edited:

milo

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2022
You won't need to attach a CV for this - your application form will be sufficient. You also won't need to submit a cover letter as the application form covers the motivational questions the firm is asking for.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but what about transcripts? Those are mentioned on the careers page but not explicitly asked for on the application form.

Reactions: fingersarecrossed

Izzy1026

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    Dechert's VS app asks for Company/Organisation referee, does anyone know if I can put down my internship supervisor? Or are they looking more for references from employers that candidates have worked for on a full time basis (in which case I do not have any)?

TCchaser24

Nov 20, 2023
    just received an email from NRF subjected 'next steps' inviting me to their online test, however, I have already completed the firm's online test for their winter VS and received confirmation of completion. What should I do? and has anyone else had this? is it just a workdayjobs error? Thanks

Lalis

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 30, 2020
    just received an email from NRF subjected 'next steps' inviting me to their online test, however, I have already completed the firm's online test for their winter VS and received confirmation of completion. What should I do? and has anyone else had this? is it just a workdayjobs error? Thanks
    I got this too - assuming it's their workday error

Maddy

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 8, 2024
    I read in a discussion about Jones Day that the firm selects applications on a super rolling basis and that if you don't apply within the fist few weeks for winter scheme it's better to apply for the spring. I was planning to apply by the beginning of next week. Is it too late to apply toJones day winter scheme?

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    I read in a discussion about Jones Day that the firm selects applications on a super rolling basis and that if you don't apply within the fist few weeks for winter scheme it's better to apply for the spring. I was planning to apply by the beginning of next week. Is it too late to apply toJones day winter scheme?
    I would not say it's too late. While Jones Day definitely has a reputation of emphasizing early applications, I would not expect them to reject a great application submitted one month before the deadline just because you didn't send it one or two weeks before that. A friend of mine applied roughly a month before the deadline of their spring scheme and was still invited to an interview.

That said, if you want to maximize your success chances (and unless there are other reasons why this isn't a viable option for you), I do not see why you couldn't submit an application for their spring/summer vac scheme. We are still a few months away from those deadlines, so your application would likely be classified as an 'early' one.

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    Dechert's VS app asks for Company/Organisation referee, does anyone know if I can put down my internship supervisor? Or are they looking more for references from employers that candidates have worked for on a full time basis (in which case I do not have any)?
    Unless Dechert makes a clear distinction between an academic referee and a company/organisation referee, I would guess your university counts as an 'organisation'. Every law firm I applied for which asked for references primarily wanted an academic reference. Some also gave the option to put down referees from work experiences, but this was not a mandatory field.

Regarding your question (whether it is ok to put down your internship supervisor), I would say yes, provided you obtain their consent first. The general practice is first speak with any person you want to put down as a referee - whether it is an academic or professional one. You do not want a referee to be caught by surprise when called by a potential employer and take on the risk that on the spot they may not remember you/not have anything positive to say about you. So I advise you to send an email/LinkedIn message to your ex supervisor asking them to be your referee, they are unlikely to reject you. However, in the off case that this happens, I would go ahead and put down someone from your university as an organisation referee.

Reactions: Izzy1026

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    If an application recruits on a rolling basis until january but i would hve a chance to attend a firm event in a months time, is it worth waiting till that to submit my application or better to submit now??
    Hey Tom - I think the answer depends on how much emphasis the firm places on early applications and how much emphasis it places on attending events, how much you think attending that event might improve the quality of your application, and level of interest you have in this particular firm. I've recently answered a very similar query (someone asked whether they should wait for an open day taking place only two weeks before the deadline of a rolling application) where I explained in more detail how I think you should consider these different factors. I've quoted it bellow as I believe this is the same problem you are interested in, but do let me know if you have a different question.

While firms who recruit on a rolling basis place different levels on emphasis on the time at which you submit your applications, I know many candidates (including myself) who progressed despite submitting very close to the deadline. As such, I think it makes sense to prioritize the quality of your application more than the timing. Since for most firms attending an open day will significantly improve your chances of progressing past the application stage in a VS/TC application, I think it is worth waiting for.

However, there are some caveats to this. Firstly, I do not believe it is feasible to implement this approach with a high number of firms. The reason is that most firms with competitive open day application processes will host the event in late October/November/early December. Most firms also have VS application deadlines in December/early January. As such, if you try to attend open days at many firms before writing your applications, you might end up completely overloaded come December, with several deadlines every week. This will likely mean you will have to compromise on the time you spend on each application and therefore on the quality of your research and writing - and my view is that quality of writing and research is the one thing you should not compromise on if you want to maximize your success chances. To ensure you can submit a high number of high quality applications, I think it is better to try to space out your efforts throughout the next three months. Thus, it is only feasible to change your application writing schedule around maybe 4-5 open days. This is why I would only wait for the open day outcome if this is one of those 4-5 firms that you would like to prioritize.

Secondly, there are some firms that are outliers in terms of how seriously they take the timing at which you submit your application - anecdotally, firms like Jones Day and Gibson Dunn would be among them. Therefore, I think before you decide on whether to wait for the open day application deadline or not, it is worth having a look around this forum to see if the firm you are interested in is in this category. You should simply type the name of the firm in the TCLA Forum search bar, alongside some key terms like 'offer', and see if last year there were any people being progressed despite submitting the application later in the cycle. Alternatively, if you are comfortable sharing the name of the firm, you can post this question about it here. Someone who has had experience with applying for that firm might know more about the issue and get back to you directly.

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned but what about transcripts? Those are mentioned on the careers page but not explicitly asked for on the application form.
    I doubt you need transcripts if they are not asked for specifically. I did not add any transcripts in my DLA application and was still invited to the AC. I can only think of one application form I completed which asked for transcripts (I think it was V&E's) and even then it was not a mandatory field. As I didn't have my transcripts at that time, I submitted my application without them and still progressed. I think in general the policy most firms have is to only ask for transcripts after they make you a VS/TC offer.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.