• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Read a firm profile. Click on details. It will say vacancies and also vacation scheme spots.

E.g. implied VS to TC conversion rates for a few firms ...

Firm / VS / TCs / conversion

Covington & Burling / 30 / 9 / 30%

Milbank / 20 / 12 / 60%

Willkie Farr & Gallagher / 20 / 6 / 30%

Arnold & Porter / 10 / 4 / 40%

Sidley Austin 60 / 17 / 29.82%

Sullivan & Cromwell / 12 / 8 / 66%

White & Case 75 / 50 / 66%

A&O Shearman 80 / 90 / c90%

Hogan Lovells 70 / 50 c70%

Linklaters 100 / 100 / 100%

Ashurst 50 / 40 / 80%

N.B. US firms don't generally give out many direct TCs, whereas firms like the magic circle are more likely to do so.
With these figures, take roughly 75% of the VS figure and then 75% of that figure and that will show a more realistic conversion, as its highly unlikely every vac schemer will get an offer (the first 75%) and then with those that do, not everyone will accept (the second 75%).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tintin06

Tom smith

Standard Member
Aug 19, 2024
Is it okay to add context to your module results in the additional information boxes in the undergraduate degree section? For example, if a 1st was achieved by only 5% of candidates is that something you should put in?

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Does anybody know how long Ashurst takes after the test to let you know if you've progressed or not?
I dont believe they have a "passing score" benchmark, rather they view your test results alongside your application and make a decision. So you will find out just on the basis of AC invite or rejection (I think), which they said will likely be late October/early November

Reactions: Sharon Wu

billyonthespeeddial

Jan 21, 2023
Other than Slaughter and May, what are some firms that really value a High 2:1/First (even though obviously it is not formally necessary)? I vaguely recall Jones Day and Norton Rose Fulbright being in this category, but if anyone has other information please let me know!

(And I know that this shouldn't be taken as "don't apply if you don't have x grades", I'm just thinking it may be good to know)

sammm10101

Star Member
Aug 15, 2024
Other than Slaughter and May, what are some firms that really value a High 2:1/First (even though obviously it is not formally necessary)? I vaguely recall Jones Day and Norton Rose Fulbright being in this category, but if anyone has other information please let me know!

(And I know that this shouldn't be taken as "don't apply if you don't have x grades", I'm just thinking it may be good to know)
Yeah Jones Day definitely is one, one of the partners stressed it at the open day and the graduate recruitment person said that it’s the first part of the application she looks at.

Reactions: billyonthespeeddial

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Thank you so much, this is super helpful!

The context I am looking at is for a firm that has many technology clients. I am suggesting that technology M&A deals could see a rise, and that a challenge here are valuation gaps between buyers and sellers. I mentioned earn-out provisions as a way which these could be solved so I am guessing this might just about be general enough? Thanks again.
This sounds great if you ask me. Your answer finds a nice balance between demonstrating specific knowledge of a market sector (which can set you apart from other applicants) and keeping the subject matter accessible enough for the well-informed reader. I would therefore not worry about it being overly technical.

The only thing I will add is that, besides in choice of subject-matter, you should try to avoid being overly technical in your writing. The simpler and easier to understand your sentences, the better. You can assume certain levels of familiarity from your reader with concepts like earn-out provisions, but it will be very helpful if you are also able to provide short explanations of what they mean (of course, word-count permitting) or write in such a way that the reader might grasp the full meaning from the context. This is because this manner of writing demonstrates more than an ability to summarize points from articles thought of by others - it shows you have gained a deeper understanding of the subject, which enables you to analyse it independently.

legallady123

Standard Member
Mar 30, 2021
Hello 😊 how many applications are people doing? This is my first round of London applications and I’m nervous about how competitive they are.

Another query I have is whether law firms will care that I do not have commercial experience? I do have a First in Law from a RG university and 3 years of legal experience post-graduation, but hardly any of it is within commercial law. Slightly concerned that having a fair amount of experience in non-commercial areas (medical law and regulatory work) may not work in my favour.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.