• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
@Jessica Booker I was just curious, as a general rule of thumb, do you know if vacation schemes at US firms are typically more competitive to convert, as opposed to doing a VS at a magic circle firm with a huge intake? Just the actual conversion, not securing the scheme itself.
It's a rough guide, but Law Careers Net publishes stats the reveal VS - TC ratios (sort of).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I was just curious, as a general rule of thumb, do you know if vacation schemes at US firms are typically more competitive to convert, as opposed to doing a VS at a magic circle firm with a huge intake? Just the actual conversion, not securing the scheme itself.
You could argue so as generally the US firms have many more vacation scheme places than TCs, meaning they can turn down VS candidates due to lack of opportunities, while the MC firms have either a similar or less VS places than TCs, and so end up doing direct recruitment, meaning they can typically offer as many VS candidates as they like.

Reactions: Apple

fingersarecrossed

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 11, 2024
    So I would say cognify had 3 parts: shapes (3 games i think) + maths (not just addition but division, minus, multiply at harder level) + english (pointing out spelling/punctuation mistakes in paragraphs)

for all three you need to practise it in timed conditions. Time for all the questions is very short and I could barely read the entire paragraphs for the verbal reasoning when timer would go off, very different than other tests i have done for other firms
    thhank you so much!

Holly2002

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 30, 2024
    Hi, has anybody got an invitation to attend an in person open day by A&O Shearman? It says it’s for people studying in London so I filled out the form (just name etc. no Q’s about grades or motivations) and automatically got a place? I just thought this was a bit random so wanted to see if anybody else got the same

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.