• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

legal18

Distinguished Member
Feb 17, 2024
Hi, has anybody got an invitation to attend an in person open day by A&O Shearman? It says it’s for people studying in London so I filled out the form (just name etc. no Q’s about grades or motivations) and automatically got a place? I just thought this was a bit random so wanted to see if anybody else got the same
Do you have a link for this?

BonanzaBih_

Legendary Member
Jan 17, 2023
Hi, has anybody got an invitation to attend an in person open day by A&O Shearman? It says it’s for people studying in London so I filled out the form (just name etc. no Q’s about grades or motivations) and automatically got a place? I just thought this was a bit random so wanted to see if anybody else got the same
I know someone who just signed up as well. I do not think it’s application based

BonanzaBih_

Legendary Member
Jan 17, 2023
For an open day a firm is asking why I want to attend the open day and what achievements/extracurricluars I am proud of that would help me excel. How should I approach this?

Should I do a 50/50 split between why id like to attend and my achievements? Or like 40/60?

And when speaking of my achievements should I just pick 2 or 3 to talk about in detail is mention about 5 in summary?

I have 500 words btw. Any help would be appreciated! @Jessica Booker

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
For an open day a firm is asking why I want to attend the open day and what achievements/extracurricluars I am proud of that would help me excel. How should I approach this?

Should I do a 50/50 split between why id like to attend and my achievements? Or like 40/60?

And when speaking of my achievements should I just pick 2 or 3 to talk about in detail is mention about 5 in summary?

I have 500 words btw. Any help would be appreciated! @Jessica Booker

Hi @BonanzaBih_ 🥳

I think either 50/50 or 40/60 is completely alright, so long as you showcase genuine interest in the firm and the open day, while still highlighting the key strengths that will help you excel. Firms are typically very interested in your motivations, so I wouldn't dedicate anything less than 40% of the word count to saying why you're interested in attending the open day with them in particular.

When talking about achievements, I often found it more effective to focus on 1-2 (max 3) key examples, because this allowed me to provide context, describe what I did, and really show the reader how difficult it might have been to achieve the goal in question. It also gave me adequate space to briefly discuss how the achievement would help me excel at my firm. By contrast, covering all this ground can be quite challenging when you're trying to discuss 4-5 accomplishments in 300-350 words.

I think @Jessica Booker might have more to add, but I wanted to offer some suggestions based on my own experience of having successfully applied to open days in previous cycles. Good luck! I hope you're able to attend!

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei Radu

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Anybody know if Gibson Dunn prefers RG graduates to non-RG?

Hiya @DarrenB

This is a really common question - and having worked with many bright, talented non-Russell group students, please, please don't be reluctant to apply just because you went to a non-RG university. Firms tend to look at the strength of your overall application rather than focusing exclusively on whether you attended a Russell Group university. While attending a Russell Group university can be a plus, it's definitely not the only factor that firms consider. Many non-Russell Group graduates have successfully secured training contracts at US firms, including Gibson Dunn, so focus on what work experiences, extracurriculars, and interests you bring to the table rather than just your university.

In terms of Legal Cheek stats, these can be useful for giving an idea of where current trainees come from, but they’re not often an accurate or complete reflection. The data usually comes from small sample sizes, and firms don’t rely exclusively on university background when selecting candidates. Legal Cheek breakdowns also don’t give insight into other important factors firms consider, such as individual academic performance, work experience, and extracurricular activities.

Best of luck with the application if you end up making one!

DarrenB

Premium Member
Oct 22, 2023
Hiya @DarrenB

This is a really common question - and having worked with many bright, talented non-Russell group students, please, please don't be reluctant to apply just because you went to a non-RG university. Firms tend to look at the strength of your overall application rather than focusing exclusively on whether you attended a Russell Group university. While attending a Russell Group university can be a plus, it's definitely not the only factor that firms consider. Many non-Russell Group graduates have successfully secured training contracts at US firms, including Gibson Dunn, so focus on what work experiences, extracurriculars, and interests you bring to the table rather than just your university.

In terms of Legal Cheek stats, these can be useful for giving an idea of where current trainees come from, but they’re not often an accurate or complete reflection. The data usually comes from small sample sizes, and firms don’t rely exclusively on university background when selecting candidates. Legal Cheek breakdowns also don’t give insight into other important factors firms consider, such as individual academic performance, work experience, and extracurricular activities.

Best of luck with the application if you end up making one!
Hey @Ram Sabaratnam

Thank you for your reply! This puts things into perspective and you're right - it's not one particular factor that will make or break an application.

BonanzaBih_

Legendary Member
Jan 17, 2023
Hi @BonanzaBih_ 🥳

I think either 50/50 or 40/60 is completely alright, so long as you showcase genuine interest in the firm and the open day, while still highlighting the key strengths that will help you excel. Firms are typically very interested in your motivations, so I wouldn't dedicate anything less than 40% of the word count to saying why you're interested in attending the open day with them in particular.

When talking about achievements, I often found it more effective to focus on 1-2 (max 3) key examples, because this allowed me to provide context, describe what I did, and really show the reader how difficult it might have been to achieve the goal in question. It also gave me adequate space to briefly discuss how the achievement would help me excel at my firm. By contrast, covering all this ground can be quite challenging when you're trying to discuss 4-5 in accomplishments in 300-350 words.

I think @Jessica Booker might have more to add, but I wanted to offer some suggestions based on my own experience of having successfully applied to open days in previous cycles. Good luck! I hope you're able to attend!
Thank you so much!!

• 🤝
Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Where on the LCN website can I find the statistics?
Read a firm profile. Click on details. It will say vacancies and also vacation scheme spots.

E.g. implied VS to TC conversion rates for a few firms ...

Firm / VS / TCs / conversion

Covington & Burling / 30 / 9 / 30%

Milbank / 20 / 12 / 60%

Willkie Farr & Gallagher / 20 / 6 / 30%

Arnold & Porter / 10 / 4 / 40%

Sidley Austin 60 / 17 / 29.82%

Sullivan & Cromwell / 12 / 8 / 66%

White & Case 75 / 50 / 66%

A&O Shearman 80 / 90 / c90%

Hogan Lovells 70 / 50 c70%

Linklaters 100 / 100 / 100%

Ashurst 50 / 40 / 80%

N.B. US firms don't generally give out many direct TCs, whereas firms like the magic circle are more likely to do so.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.