• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018
Hey, I did the Pinsent’s blended assessment last recruitment cycle and I do remember one of the video questions being scenario based. It was based on receiving feedback from your supervisor regarding improving your attention to detail and how you would react and implement this. Obviously the questions must have changed now, but basically do be prepared for maybe one scenario question. The other question was firm-based.

Apart from that, there’s a decent amount of numerical reasoning so keep a calculator and pen paper handy. The assessment itself I found to be quite time pressured given the firm advises you not to spend more than 1 hour on it. But don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll smash it- hope this info helps! :)
Thank you very much, this helps a lot!

fingersarecrossed

Star Member
Feb 11, 2024
I’d try to not get too worried about taking one approach to reading the news. Some articles are going to do the analysis for you, so you don’t necessarily need to go into full PESTLE or SWOT type structures of analysis as that has already been done for you. Where it hasn't, rather than just going into in depth analysis through something like PESTLE, ask yourself more general questions like:

Why is this happening?
Who does it impact?
Why would lawyers care about this?
Why is this interesting to me?
What could influence this in the future?

These types of questions then start on a more foundation level getting you thinking about things that may make up a more formal analytical review like SWOT or PESTLE.
Thank you so much Jessica! This is incredibly helpful.

legal18

Star Member
Feb 17, 2024
Does anyone have any tips for filling out the work experience section of applications. Should it be chronological? Can I include open days? Virtual internships (if so, how many - can I group them together? How can I make the most out of this section to benefit my application? Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have any tips for filling out the work experience section of applications. Should it be chronological? Can I include open days? Virtual internships (if so, how many - can I group them together? How can I make the most out of this section to benefit my application? Thank you!
  • Reverse chronological - your most recent experience should be the first in the section and then all other entries in that section should be listed in reverse chronological order so your oldest example is last.
  • You can include open days. However, sometimes there are other sections in the application form for this type of information and if that is the case, include it there instead of in your work experience section. I would only definitely include it in a work experience section if it was with the firm I was applying to. Sometimes you can include these details if you have been asked to detail careers events you have attended or if there is an "additional information" section.
  • Incude the open days you feel are relevant - if you are forutnate to have loads and feel you can be selective, then do so.
  • Focus on your key responsibilities and impact within roles. Do not describe the self-explanatory or repeat details like your job title/employer name (as these will be in the heading entry). Keep descriptions really punchy - you don't have to tell a story like you do with competency questions. Focus on the most relevant/challenging/interesting responsibilities and try to show how you created success/improvements/positive outcomes from what you did.

Apple

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
They review the applications in order of vacation scheme date I believe, so if you have submitted an application for a Summer scheme it would take longer for them to get back.
They also (it appears) interview lots of people, and that is probably why they are sending out invites so early as they have a lot to get through. Presuming PFO after a few days is crazy lol.

Apple

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Does anyone have experience with requesting to change from WVS to SVS?
I know it varies firm to firm but just generally speaking I'm wondering how common this is or if its a bit of a long shot.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have experience with requesting to change from WVS to SVS?
I know it varies firm to firm but just generally speaking I'm wondering how common this is or if its a bit of a long shot.
It happens enough for you to at least be able to ask for it. I don't see any problem with asking, as the worst that could happen is they say no. This wouldn't put you in a different position than you being unable to commit to the original scheme.

I think there are so many variables at play as to how a firm does decide whether to allow to move you or not, you should just ask rather than what has happened to people in the past.

Reactions: Apple

pepsicola96

Standard Member
Jul 11, 2024
does anyone have any advice for writing the work experience section of applications? In the sense that I've had about 8 part time jobs in the past 6 years, and they're all quite similar, but obviously all need their own section.

for example 3 of my jobs were in 3 separate supermarkets. I find i'm just writing blah blah customer service, blah blah work ethic, blah blah communication skills for each of them, as they're essentially the same job.

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
does anyone have any advice for writing the work experience section of applications? In the sense that I've had about 8 part time jobs in the past 6 years, and they're all quite similar, but obviously all need their own section.

for example 3 of my jobs were in 3 separate supermarkets. I find i'm just writing blah blah customer service, blah blah work ethic, blah blah communication skills for each of them, as they're essentially the same job.
I combine jobs if they're the same job type and not law-related.

E.g if I was a waitress at 3 different places I'd put:
Job Title: Waitress
Dates: WHOLE PERIOD so Job 1 start date - job 3 end date
Company: Various (Company 1, year started-year finished; Company 2, started-finished; Company 3, started-finished)
Description: In these roles, I blah blah blah... then add any specific achievements/responsibilities and clarify which place I did them at.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.