TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am self-funding a law conversion course at BPP and just wanted some advice. Would it make more sense to do the law conversion course without SQE1 prep in the hopes that I will find a firm to fund my SQE prep and exams? The course without SQE1 prep is cheaper and involves a professional project - would this be a good selling point for employers?

I'm in the same position as you. I decided to go for the masters law route without SQE because it's cheaper and can be almost fully be covered by a govt maintenance grant, whereas for the conversion + SQE course if you are applying for a maintenance loan that's capped at 12.5k so the additional costs will have to be paid fully out of pocket. Also, firms fund SQE1 + 2 together so having done SQE1 already doesn't put you at an advantage (nor does even the conversion course necessarily, but at least that's a good way of understanding key legal principles and opening yourself up to more paralegal opportunities).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, they do but I have been unsuccessful this cycle. But in all honesty, I did not do very many applications and it was my first time. I also don't think I'd want to spend a year dilly-dallying and would rather crack on with the law conversion as I can do it as a masters so will still be able to get some funding. My dilemma just is whether I do the masters with SQE1 prep included or not.
With the SQE you don't need to do the GDL before starting it, and so ultimately if something is more integrated it will be a more efficient use of time. It is difficult if the course fees are higher though, and so is a difficult consideration.

futuretrainee2025

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    @Jessica Booker I hope you are well. I decided it would be better to post here. I was quite ashamed of asking on a public forum but I guess rejection is part of the process!

Over the summer I completed two VS. Unfortunately, I did not get a TC offer from one and I do not think my other scheme went well (though I have not heard back). I am still determined to become a lawyer, so I have a few questions regarding next steps.

1) Should I self-fund the PGDL? I graduated in 2023 and decided to work while applying. I do not want to prolong my career any longer and I think having more of a legal background will help me secure paralegal roles if I am not successful in the next cycle. I know you do not need the conversion for the SQE but I think it will provide the necessary background and not make the SQE seem too much of a jump.

2) Do you know much about the pgdl at London Met? It's half the price of ULaw and BPP and was wondering if there is a significant difference in quality of teaching.

3) Should I mention both schemes on my CVs? I want to only mention one as I'm scared future grad rec teams might see my post VS rejections as a negative sign that I am not capable of securing a TC at their firm. Is it common for applicants to have some post VS rejections and still get interviews elsewhere?

4) I have tried to be positive but how can I cope with the rejections following my VS? I thought I performed quite well and even my supervisors had no negative feedback. I was so close. Is it common for people to be rejected post VS and then secure TC offers elsewhere?

Thank you for your time.

If anyone else has any insights, I would greatly appreciate it!

celine02

Standard Member
    Mar 16, 2023
    I've just finished two back-to-back VS. If I accept a TC from one firm before I hear back from the other firm - would I be obliged to let the other firm know that I'm withdrawing from the recruitment process? Thank you

• 🏆
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've just finished two back-to-back VS. If I accept a TC from one firm before I hear back from the other firm - would I be obliged to let the other firm know that I'm withdrawing from the recruitment process? Thank you
    It’s polite to let firms know you won’t be taking their recruitment process further if you have accepted your top choice firm.

lawyerdreams

Jul 25, 2024
    @Jessica Booker I hope you are well. I decided it would be better to post here. I was quite ashamed of asking on a public forum but I guess rejection is part of the process!

Over the summer I completed two VS. Unfortunately, I did not get a TC offer from one and I do not think my other scheme went well (though I have not heard back). I am still determined to become a lawyer, so I have a few questions regarding next steps.

1) Should I self-fund the PGDL? I graduated in 2023 and decided to work while applying. I do not want to prolong my career any longer and I think having more of a legal background will help me secure paralegal roles if I am not successful in the next cycle. I know you do not need the conversion for the SQE but I think it will provide the necessary background and not make the SQE seem too much of a jump.

2) Do you know much about the pgdl at London Met? It's half the price of ULaw and BPP and was wondering if there is a significant difference in quality of teaching.

3) Should I mention both schemes on my CVs? I want to only mention one as I'm scared future grad rec teams might see my post VS rejections as a negative sign that I am not capable of securing a TC at their firm. Is it common for applicants to have some post VS rejections and still get interviews elsewhere?

4) I have tried to be positive but how can I cope with the rejections following my VS? I thought I performed quite well and even my supervisors had no negative feedback. I was so close. Is it common for people to be rejected post VS and then secure TC offers elsewhere?

Thank you for your time.

If anyone else has any insights, I would greatly appreciate it!
    On point (3), yes! Definitely mention both schemes, because they show your commitment to commercial law and you can leverage them to demonstrate your interest. And having post-VS rejections is not a negative sign that you're not able to secure a TC - its extremely common, especially with firms that have a conversion rate of like 30% - not everyone can get the TC, and I think firms know that, so its not something negative at all rather positive that you've had commercial law experience!

WillObs1

Jul 27, 2024
    Hi @Jessica Booker! I am currently working as a paralegal but have been offered a TC which starts in September 2026. In my current contract, I have an exclusivity clause which means I am unable to take permanent or paid work elsewhere from another employer without their permission.

If the paid work won't technically commence until 2026, would I still be obliged to share this with them? I'm reluctant given I still intend to stay for at least a good few months, but I don't want to be in breach of contract.

Filia

Jul 5, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker! I am currently working as a paralegal but have been offered a TC which starts in September 2026. In my current contract, I have an exclusivity clause which means I am unable to take permanent or paid work elsewhere from another employer without their permission.

If the paid work won't technically commence until 2026, would I still be obliged to share this with them? I'm reluctant given I still intend to stay for at least a good few months, but I don't want to be in breach of contract.
    Hello! I believe the exclusivity clause relates to any paid employment undertaken by you WHILST you are still working for your current employer. That's just a guess since I haven’t read the exact wording of the clause. If that is the case, you wouldn’t be breaching your contract provided that you do not actually work for your TC at the same time as for your paralegal work. Just my 2 cents though :)

Reactions: WillObs1

WillObs1

Jul 27, 2024
    Hello! I believe the exclusivity clause relates to any paid employment undertaken by you WHILST you are still working for your current employer. That's just a guess since I haven’t read the exact wording of the clause. If that is the case, you wouldn’t be breaching your contract provided that you do not actually work for your TC at the same time as for your paralegal work. Just my 2 cents though :)
    Thank you very much! I've looked at the exact wording, which is as follows:

You shall not, while employed by the Company be engaged in, interested in or concerned with, whether directly or indirectly, any other business undertaking, trade or profession, and you shall not undertake any work (paid or unpaid) for any third party, except with the previous written consent of the Company.

The "engaged in, interested in, or concerned with" would make me think I would need to disclose it? It's not a huge problem if I have to, but I think I would rather keep it to myself.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This only applies from the time you start a TC, so it is not an issue while you hold an offer or receive any funding in terms of a maintenance grant or SQE sponsorship.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you very much! I've looked at the exact wording, which is as follows:

You shall not, while employed by the Company be engaged in, interested in or concerned with, whether directly or indirectly, any other business undertaking, trade or profession, and you shall not undertake any work (paid or unpaid) for any third party, except with the previous written consent of the Company.

The "engaged in, interested in, or concerned with" would make me think I would need to disclose it? It's not a huge problem if I have to, but I think I would rather keep it to myself.
    My view is you don’t have to disclose this.

LB24

Valued Member
    Sep 26, 2023
    For those that did a VS with Addleshaw Goddard, how long did the actual application process last from when you applied to when you had a VS offer/rejection?

I’ve applied for the direct TC but would like an idea of the timeline of things.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.