• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker - is it necessary to contact my supervisors to introduce myself before the vac scheme begins? I've been given their full names but no email addresses. Thank you
No - it’s not necessary to do this, especially if you have not been given their email addresses. You may find their emails addresses via the firm’s website though - most firms will have profiles of individual lawyers and their contact details.

It is fine to email them at the same time. I’d just keep it short/brief and have a purpose for contacting them.

• 🤝
Reactions: CP2000

19.mfjones

Distinguished Member
  • Oct 16, 2023
    Hey all, once again asking for advice
    What sort of feedback have you had from ACs?

Got rejected from my dream firm the other day and am absolutely heartbroken. Never had feedback from an AC before and I'm so scared they're going to say it's my personality. Sometimes when I'm nervous I cone across as slightly informal, but I was true to myself and it still wasn't enough. The feedback call is scheduled for next week the day before my grad, so not great timing either

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone think there’s any relevance in tc interviews to note taking?
    is no note taking good or bad and is frequent note taking good or bad? 😭
    No relevance whatsoever. It’s just how interviewers decide to approach things. Some note take, others don’t - it’s their preference rather than anything about you as a candidate.

Reactions: Jaysen and sm99
    D

Deleted member 9747

Think lots of people have asked this before but how can you overcome failing to convert a VS?. I know the advice of showing you listened to feedback by doing xyz but.. I have an interview coming up at v similar firm to the one I didn’t convert the vac scheme at. The feedback was annoyingly positive and they said it was the strongest cohort they’d ever had. (So essentially they just like others more than me).

Atm the new firm know I did the Vs but don’t know I didn’t get the Tc.

If I was the interviewer I’d be seriously concerned that another firm thoroughly checked you out for a couple of weeks and didn’t want you. Any advice on overcoming this?

jnice

Distinguished Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Does anybody have any experiences applying for vac schemes as a graduate?

I just graduated and plan to apply for as many winter vac schemes as I can, but it feels odd as a graduate. I'm also not "doing anything" right now apart from sport and am worried it could come up in an interview, should that be a concern?
    Yep, I have. I got my TC offer in 2023 and I graduated in 2017!

19vanessat

Feb 23, 2022
    Think lots of people have asked this before but how can you overcome failing to convert a VS?. I know the advice of showing you listened to feedback by doing xyz but.. I have an interview coming up at v similar firm to the one I didn’t convert the vac scheme at. The feedback was annoyingly positive and they said it was the strongest cohort they’d ever had. (So essentially they just like others more than me).

Atm the new firm know I did the Vs but don’t know I didn’t get the Tc.

If I was the interviewer I’d be seriously concerned that another firm thoroughly checked you out for a couple of weeks and didn’t want you. Any advice on overcoming this?
    I’ve been in this situation before as I got really mediocre feedback from another firm - they basically said I was average (lol) so I thought about which part of the AC during the VS could have improved on to make myself more outstanding. I believed I didn’t contribute as frequently or as insightfully as my other team mates and realised it was partly due to nerves + my lack of confidence when it came to public speaking that I’ve struggled with. I was able to then demonstrate a part of the AC component that I improved in (and the results spoke for themselves, as the firm required me to pass the AC before the final TC interview)

So essentially this is another “what are your weaknesses” or “how to you get up from failure” question. They’re testing you on your self awareness and humility, and don’t worry, they know that some firms don’t take the majority of VS students! When I got asked this, the interviewer was very understanding and sympathetic :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Alhamdulillah, after 2.5 years of applications and 5 vacation schemes been offered training contracts with Dentons and Pinsent Masons!!!
    Amazing news! Congratulations on both offers!

Clapping Double Clap GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

• Love
    Reactions: EM23

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker hi jessica! im writing a personal statement (600 words) for a campus ambassador programme, do you reckon i should format it as a letter to the GR?
    No need to put it as a letter. Personal statements can go straight into your opening sentence/paragraph and do not need a form of sign off either.

ChasingTCS

Oct 4, 2023
    @Jessica Booker i have a question. I applied to Macfarlanes for the summer vac scheme but got rejected post-AC. I am now planning on applying there again but for their direct TC as I have gained experience at another firm since I last applied. The question is, should I be changing the previous answers that I attempted in my VS application? (eg why Macfarlanes)

Apple

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    @Jessica Booker i have a question. I applied to Macfarlanes for the summer vac scheme but got rejected post-AC. I am now planning on applying there again but for their direct TC as I have gained experience at another firm since I last applied. The question is, should I be changing the previous answers that I attempted in my VS application? (eg why Macfarlanes)
    Hi im not Jessica but I was in the same position with Macfarlanes and during my feedback phone call with grad recruitment they told me to change the answers if I apply for the direct TC but the general reasons could be similar.

Reactions: ChasingTCS

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would alway look to update application questions, particularly to reflect on your more recent experiences. Even your why Macfarlanes may have been influenced/changed slightly by your experience at the other firm.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.