• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
With firms that are reviewing applications on a rolling basis, do you think my chances are extremely low if I am submitting it on the deadline day? :/
I wouldn’t say extremely low as a lot of candidates will still be doing exactly the same. Of course, it’s beneficial to get it in as soon as possible, but I think it’s always better to submit an application than to not submit one.

Ultimately, there will be people who have been accepted onto a VS from applying on the deadline, so if it’s a firm you like and you can make a strong application, what’s there to lose?

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Mischon PFO. Bit of a weird one for me cause it wasn't a firm that's high up on my list, but I thought my answers were particularly good.

Starting to think there's just more and more luck involved in getting past the application stage, specially since some of the ones I have gotten past I did really quickly and they were very impersonal.

Maybe my judgement on the quality of my application is the problem.

Regardless, onto the next.
thisssss. I personally struggle with trying to figure out what affects the outcome of my applications and lack of feedback does not help. I have never wanted to be a fly on the wall more in my life!!

Reactions: atlas2425 and ah898

Arf1309

Valued Member
Dec 7, 2022
Hi all! Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle a question regarding the firm's position in the legal sector. Is it enough to talk about the firm's clients/rankings or should I also talk about the firm's strategy as well?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know what’s the difference between Freshfield’s Winter and Summer Intakes for direct TC?
If you mean the actual trainee intake - there will be no difference, they just split the trainees every six months because they can’t have 80-100 people start at the same time.

If you mean the recruitment application windows, then there is likely to be some difference in eligibility criteria of when/who can apply.

Reactions: MrHubertLouis

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When a firm offers an SQE/maintenance grant of eg £20,000, is this money to cover the cost of the prep courses + exams, or do they automatically cover these costs and the £20,000 is extra to this? @Jessica Booker
Maintenance grants typically mean an amount of money outside of courses and exams, which are usually covered separately by the firm. However, it’s probably worthwhile double checking with the firm.

Reactions: user12345law

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What time do GR at law firms tend to go home from work? I can imagine it's a 9-5? as they're not bound to their seats like their lawyer counterparts. @Jessica Booker
I regularly racked up 70 hour weeks at one firm! Would easily do 8am-8pm (or later) at another.

Some may work 9-5 (or more likely 9.30-5.30 for London firms), but I would expect a lot of GR to be regularly working beyond their contracted hours.

Once you also factor in events, whether evening events or travelling to universities for campus events, the hours can get pretty horrendous at times. It is very cyclical though, but this time of year can be pretty full on.

Does depend on the firm though, and how well resourced the GR team is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.